I file for divorce with QNAP

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
SoloUntilIDie
New here

I file for divorce with QNAP

Post by SoloUntilIDie »

... That's it. I have bought another brand for my NAS instead of QNAP today for my private home. I am dumping my TS-251+ and I will never look back.

We've used QNAP on work for backup for many years, but for the last year we've been replacing QNAP and no longer have QNAP in-house or at our customers'.
We had two 859-URP each driving 20TB data suddenly crash with no access to data. Although we did have backup on non-QNAP equipment - support helped us restore everything by hammering commands to it through SSH.

They both kept crashing so we quickly swapped both QNAP NAS to a different brand.

Almost two years ago I purchased the TS-251+ to drive a few VMs, at which it has done so efficiently.. I also had a few shared drives, one of which I had encrypted with important data. I set the NAS to auto power off during the night, and power on in the morning, and to access the encrypted data I logged into the webinterface and unlocked it by typing the password. I did this regularly.

Then one day an electrician had to pull the power a few times in the house, and the NAS was not powered off properly. All shared drives were gone and not associated with the volume. Support had me reset the NAS and follow a process, which restored access to everything except my encrypted folder. It kept saying wrong password, but I know it is not the wrong password I've even typed it into LastPass.... I have backup of the most important data, but I still lost a bit of useful stuff.

So... My conclusion with QNAP products are:

1. Clunky webinterface - less intuitive.
2. Although support is free, which is good, they don't fully understand English - high risk misunderstanding.
3. Hardware and software fails.

Bye QNAP
TPLINK
Getting the hang of things

Re: I file for divorce with QNAP

Post by TPLINK »

Last edited by TPLINK on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TS-2888X-W2133-64G 10Tb WD-Red Qsubsonic, Storage, backup
Acer Aspire 16Gb 8th gen. I7 Windows 10 Home 64Bits
1Tb free Stack
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

So you didn’t have your 251 on a UPS and an electrician killed the power a few times. The NAS failed and this makes the unit a POS. Computers don’t like having the power pulled out from under them. It can cause all sorts of problems as you found out. Hope you put your new brand on a UPS.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
dontput
New here

Post by dontput »

Not qnap's fault..

/continue...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
SoloUntilIDie
New here

Post by SoloUntilIDie »

TPLINK wrote: What brand did you choose?
Synology. Initially I wanted to try Asustor, but Synology has been very reliable at work so I'm trying that route. They're just not as beefy on hardware.
So you didn’t have your 251 on a UPS
A UPS sounds a bit overkill for a private home, or perhaps you can reference a good cheap solution?

I'll be trying to degrade the firmware on the QNAP as a last resort after all data except the encrypted is off it. I upgraded the firmware before I even realized the volume was no longer associated..
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

pretty sure the syno would fail as well, on brown outs or power loss

the size of a nas has nothing to do with the need for a ups...it is the same for 1 or 24bays
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

SoloUntilIDie wrote:
TPLINK wrote: What brand did you choose?
Synology. Initially I wanted to try Asustor, but Synology has been very reliable at work so I'm trying that route. They're just not as beefy on hardware.
So you didn’t have your 251 on a UPS
A UPS sounds a bit overkill for a private home, or perhaps you can reference a good cheap solution?

I'll be trying to degrade the firmware on the QNAP as a last resort after all data except the encrypted is off it. I upgraded the firmware before I even realized the volume was no longer associated..
Everything dies, even Synology. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_P203uaAkU

If you want a reliable solution, you should build your own server with normal stardardized server parts and install FreeNAS or something similar. That way, you can always repair the hardware problem by replacing parts to get yourself back up and running.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

SoloUntilIDie wrote:... That's it. I have bought another brand for my NAS instead of QNAP today for my private home. I am dumping my TS-251+ and I will never look back.

We've used QNAP on work for backup for many years, but for the last year we've been replacing QNAP and no longer have QNAP in-house or at our customers'.
We had two 859-URP each driving 20TB data suddenly crash with no access to data. Although we did have backup on non-QNAP equipment - support helped us restore everything by hammering commands to it through SSH.

They both kept crashing so we quickly swapped both QNAP NAS to a different brand.
both crashing same time? o-O; what firmware version were you running? did you check the hdds health of these drives at any point? anyway seems to be separate issue from your TS-251+

SoloUntilIDie wrote: Almost two years ago I purchased the TS-251+ to drive a few VMs, at which it has done so efficiently.. I also had a few shared drives, one of which I had encrypted with important data. I set the NAS to auto power off during the night, and power on in the morning, and to access the encrypted data I logged into the webinterface and unlocked it by typing the password. I did this regularly.
sounds like it worked :' ...

SoloUntilIDie wrote: Then one day an electrician had to pull the power a few times in the house, and the NAS was not powered off properly. All shared drives were gone and not associated with the volume. Support had me reset the NAS and follow a process, which restored access to everything except my encrypted folder. It kept saying wrong password, but I know it is not the wrong password I've even typed it into LastPass.... I have backup of the most important data, but I still lost a bit of useful stuff.
uh.... really bad stuff can/MAY happen during power loss.... heck recently i had maintenance people over who cut the power doing other work. i had to do check file system clean after that (yes i'm a newb too, i don't have ups either :( ). i also use encrypted shares but they still worked even after running check file system. but thats not to say the same disaster wouldn't happen the next time..... but the fault would be my own if i had any data loss because of that. thats why i have backups.... :wink:

SoloUntilIDie wrote: So... My conclusion with QNAP products are:

1. Clunky webinterface - less intuitive.
it would help you point out some specific examples.
SoloUntilIDie wrote: 2. Although support is free, which is good, they don't fully understand English - high risk misunderstanding.
not sure which helpdesk personnel you deal with, but the one i often communicate with speaks english perfectly fine. i even called up their taiwan hq helpline last time to help with an issue i had, they were actually fine too. maybe it depends on which staff you get?

SoloUntilIDie wrote: 3. Hardware and software fails.
this is a rather general statement. hdd old and dying? replace under warranty when possible. run scheduled smart scans and raid scrubs. keep backups always. use stable but up to date firmware when possible. If you don't want to risk power cut issues, use a UPS (don't wrongly blame when bad things happen because of it) or at the very least use a backup.

SoloUntilIDie wrote: Bye QNAP
:( bye. but i feel that some of your gripe is also due to bad practice and unrealistic expectations for somethings. changing brands won't help in those situations.

SoloUntilIDie wrote: A UPS sounds a bit overkill for a private home, or perhaps you can reference a good cheap solution?
For NAS you keep on 24/7 it is not overkill even for home users. also once you bought a UPS, you're expected to buy the replacement battery roughly every 4-5 years or so. just so you know.

SoloUntilIDie wrote: I'll be trying to degrade the firmware on the QNAP as a last resort after all data except the encrypted is off it. I upgraded the firmware before I even realized the volume was no longer associated..
i would suggest you contact helpdesk for assistance in advice for steps needed to be taken. you're free to try troubleshoot on your own, but if you want professional help people actually technical savvy in these matters, i'd rely on their helpdesk to advise on whats needed to be done in your case. this is why i bought a QNAP in the first place.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Johnxxx
First post

Post by Johnxxx »

"set the NAS to auto power off during the night, and power on in the morning"

Why? So you save 6-8 hours of electricity but you do more harm than good here. Those hours should be used for disk scrubbing/backups/snapshots etc. Drives nowadays, especially for NAS systems are meant to stay on continuously.
ts-877, (4) 10TB EXOS Seagate Enterprise HDD RAID 5, (2) 128GB Corsair SSD used for RW cache, 1Gbe single network.
ishbell15
Getting the hang of things

Post by ishbell15 »

I moved from WD NAS to QNAP NAS two years ago. My experience is that QNAP NAS (my one is TS-251+) is a reliable system for home use. Several functions, Qsync, Surveilance Station, file station etc, are very good and stable. From what you stated, sound all faults point to your action. GOOD LUCK!!
araya1987
Starting out

Post by araya1987 »

I have the same ts-251+ for about a year, on 24/7 for my Home I pair it with a ups and no problems so far, using for time machine, Duplicati, web host, deluge, couple vm, everything working fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

I'm sorry to say, but I don't see ANY failure that comes from QNAP, and you WILL experience the excact same problem with everything else that modifies a disk, nothing can withstand a cut of power, except pure luck.
Get a small cheap UPS for the new NAS, Synology are cheaper, and you get more bang for your buck, but it is also less pro (just my opinion), but no matter what, cutting power will kill any disk system at some point.
UPS, backup, mirroring, and having it run 24/7 is the way to go no matter what system. It's called IT discipline.
I know that some people think it's just a magic box, but try and turn of a computer a few times the hard way while it's working on something, and you will get 'wonderfull' results.
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

I bought UPS' right off the bat (home use) ...... cost is relative to how important/difficulty to recreate your data is. I ripped some 600+ DVD/BD to my NAS ... no way I'm going thru that again. The only problems I've had with data were self inflicted ...... Power can flash/go off anytime. Better safe than sorry I say. They only cost ~$100. Cheap insurance.
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

Well it sounds like Solo had not done your work correctly simple as that. As you can see from these replies, there is a theme appearing for you to acknowledge and that is get a UPS..!!! it does not matter that the NAS or UPS is used at home or business premises, they are both the same thing and require the same items, yes business environment will require an enterprise device over the home user device, they are still the same.

The same goes for a UPS, you need one, get one even your Synology NAS will die having the power cut without notice, once is bad enough, let alone multiple times on the one day, within the same hour!!! why didn't you shut the NAS off during this electrical work? The behavior from yourself needs drastically changing if you are to ever own a NAS, your protocols and procedures are non existent and this is your NAS issue .

Another area I see you responsible for another bad decision, is setting the NAS to auto shutdown and restart every night, why? to save $1.50? Don't be tight with your money otherwise and as you can see, your NAS will pay the price, usually and guaranteed to be even higher than the $1.50 saved in power. I implemented similar system and within the week I had my first HDD die on me, up to this point in time I had never shut the NAS down over night and had never had an issue, and I still believe that shutting down and restarting is what killed me HDD's, so now my NAS runs 24/7 once again, I am yet to have an issue since returning to 24/7 operation.

May you have success with the Synology NAS and may you not have any issues with that product. BUY a UPS!!!, don't be tight with the power, leave it running 24/7
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
HDD's: Western Digital - Model: WDC WD4001FFSX-68JUN0 Red Pro NAS 3.5"
HDD Size: 4TB - HDD Firmware all HDD's: 81.00A81
RAID Configuration: RAID6 x 10, HotSpare x 1, ColdSpare x 1 - Network: 1GbE
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
QNAP Hardware details required: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68954
Remote Administration of: TVS-863+ 16G on UPS Cyberpower OLS1500E+RMcard205
Richz7
Starting out

Post by Richz7 »

errr.....

Sorry. But when we've had electrical work being done on the house I always power down my NAS. Seems common sense to me.
Thanks and Regards,

Rich
36Tb Raid 5 TVS-673

Return to “Users' Corner”