QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Post Reply
User avatar
spikemixture
Easy as a breeze
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:04 pm
Location: 3rd World

Re: QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Post by spikemixture » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:16 pm

Hey Moo,

My Ac2600 is set as an AP for mobiles and smart things in my house. I do not have a PC connected wirelessly .
I do have a Skull NUC that can connect to the NAS wirelessly so will test that.
Qnap TVS-1282 - HD - 6x8TB Wd Red, 2x 8TB Iron Wolf - (Raid 6)
PCI-e - M.2 - 2x Samsung 960 Evo 250gb - Static (Raid 1) - VM
SSD - 2x Samsung 860 Evo 500gb - Static (Raid 1) - Plex and Emby server and some apps
SSD - 2x Samsung 860 Evo 250gb - Static (Raid 1) - cache
M.2 - 2x Crucial MX500 500GB - (Raid 1) - undecided
Back up - Synology -1817+(2x10, 4x6, 2x4) Raid SHR & Drobo 5n - 5x4tb Seagate & Buffalo LinkStation -2x 4TB Seagate = about 150TB all up.
TV client boxes - present and past - 2xShield Pro (2015 & 2017), Shield 16gb 2017, ATV4, Xbox 360 & one, FireStick, Fire TV, Roku3, Roku4, Chromecast, Samsung & LG Smart TV's and multiple android phones and tablets.
All software is updated as soon as it's available.
I give my opinion from my experience!
:roll:

User avatar
Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything
Posts: 7174
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:21 am
Location: Around the world....
Contact:

Re: QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:00 pm

hi spike o/

o kewl :}
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4 HDD total x 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 Samsung 850 Evo raid1 + 16gb ddr4 Kingston Hyperx Fury + QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter addon.
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-659 Pro
[Backup] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-228
[Backup] QNAP TS-128 w. 1x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS)

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100mbps dl/50mbps ul FTTH Internet | Windows 10 Enterprise, Water Cooled PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)


Guides and articles by me
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review


https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

derlordis0n
New here
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:48 pm

Re: QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Post by derlordis0n » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi there,

I´m stuck since weeks and the qnap support is no help.
Is this completely wireless setup possible (and if so how?):

Internet Connectivity: Router --wireless--> NAS (using 2.4Ghz through Network-Interfaces-WiFi-PCIe WiFi (2.4GHz): as Internet standard gateway)

PLUS simultaneously

AP functionality: Clients (inluding internet access) --wireless--> NAS (using 5Ghz trough Wireless App Station)

When I try this: NAS Internet connectivity works but the AP doesnt start (QWA-AC2600-5G the default gateway is WLAN...). Any ideas?

Bottom line: The NAS should be connected to the Internet wireless whilst working as an AP for Clients including handing over the internet connectiviy to them.

derlordis0n
New here
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:48 pm

Re: QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Post by derlordis0n » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:36 pm

Moogle Stiltzkin
spikemixture
would you have any feedback for me? Even if my requirements wont work when the NAS is in Client mode and receiving the internet connectivity wireless by the router none of my VM´s has access to the internet. I cant choose the Wifi Adapters in Virtual Switch...

User avatar
Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything
Posts: 7174
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:21 am
Location: Around the world....
Contact:

Re: QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:08 am

derlordis0n wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 pm
Hi there,

I´m stuck since weeks and the qnap support is no help.
Is this completely wireless setup possible (and if so how?):

Internet Connectivity: Router --wireless--> NAS (using 2.4Ghz through Network-Interfaces-WiFi-PCIe WiFi (2.4GHz): as Internet standard gateway)

PLUS simultaneously

AP functionality: Clients (inluding internet access) --wireless--> NAS (using 5Ghz trough Wireless App Station)

When I try this: NAS Internet connectivity works but the AP doesnt start (QWA-AC2600-5G the default gateway is WLAN...). Any ideas?

Bottom line: The NAS should be connected to the Internet wireless whilst working as an AP for Clients including handing over the internet connectiviy to them.
derlordis0n wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:36 pm
Moogle Stiltzkin
spikemixture
would you have any feedback for me? Even if my requirements wont work when the NAS is in Client mode and receiving the internet connectivity wireless by the router none of my VM´s has access to the internet. I cant choose the Wifi Adapters in Virtual Switch...
hi. you need to quote me to ping or i won't realize you are trying to contact me :)

if you want to ping on forum just quote like this
derlordis0n wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 pm
....



i'm also on the discord channel sometimes.


anyway


i tested this so far

wireless client mode *it connects the qnap to the router wireless access point. all the client devices connected to the router via wired or wireless also can access the qnap because they are all on the same LAN network
QNAP > router (wireless) > desktop pc (wired)

Ap station mode *client devices all connect to the QNAP access point
QNAP > smartphone (wireless) & also desktop pc (wireless)


as for whether you can use both same time?

Well when i want to enable ap station, it told me to disable the client mode before i could.

But the thing is, i only tested 1 wireless at a time e.g. 2.4ghz and 5ghz

I did not try to configure 2 of them simultaneously. So i'm not sure if it's possible to say

set 2.4 for wireless ap, whereas the 5ghz is wireless client mode :'
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4 HDD total x 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 Samsung 850 Evo raid1 + 16gb ddr4 Kingston Hyperx Fury + QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter addon.
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-659 Pro
[Backup] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-228
[Backup] QNAP TS-128 w. 1x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS)

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100mbps dl/50mbps ul FTTH Internet | Windows 10 Enterprise, Water Cooled PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)


Guides and articles by me
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review


https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

User avatar
Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything
Posts: 7174
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:21 am
Location: Around the world....
Contact:

Re: QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:18 am

for internet,

my router logins to my ftth modem.

so i have to connect my qnap to the router if i want internet access.

when i tested the wireless client mode, to connect the qnap to the router wirelessly, there did seem to be internet connectivity.

as for using the qnap as a wireless access point with ap station without being connected to the router in someway. then it's in an offline mode. client devices like desktop pc and smartphone can connect to the qnap to browse shares, access qts etc. But internet would not work in this setup afaik.


in the wireless settings, there is some option for allowing connected devices to access the same network or something, you can toggle on or off.



anyway that's as far as i know in regards to that topic :}
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4 HDD total x 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 Samsung 850 Evo raid1 + 16gb ddr4 Kingston Hyperx Fury + QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter addon.
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-659 Pro
[Backup] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-228
[Backup] QNAP TS-128 w. 1x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS)

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100mbps dl/50mbps ul FTTH Internet | Windows 10 Enterprise, Water Cooled PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)


Guides and articles by me
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review


https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

User avatar
Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything
Posts: 7174
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:21 am
Location: Around the world....
Contact:

Re: QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Just an update.

Did more testing.


Now i'm using the QWA-AC2600 in the following configuration for my own usage


- Wireless ap station (this means, other devices will log into the QNAP via wireless, to connect directly)


to set it up, had to do a few things
1. install the wireless adapter (duh). do this with the QNAP unpowered.
2. boot up qnap after installation of hardware and refitting everything in place, then go to QTS network & virtual switch. You should see the wireless adapter as a selection, create a virtual switch for this device.

3. next is to go to QTS > nertwork & virtual switch > DHCP server.

Select the virtual switch you made for the wireless adapter, then configure the DHCP server setup based on one of the 3 suggested settings. The first one offered hints that there may be issues if you already use DHCP server. So it would seem to me the other 2 options are better at least for me because my router is DHCP assigning an ip for my QNAP, and then i'm running a DHCP on the QNAP solely for the wireless ap usage.
Image


Not sure which is the better setting so if anyone knows just comment back here.
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... al-switch/
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... nfigure-it

anyway i used the 2nd setting selection, then it will set the virtual switch to a static IP (for the wireless adapter). Then you have a range of ips for connected devices to have once they log into this wireless ap.

However from what i saw, there is no permanent IP for the connected devices. not sure how to fix that. i set mine to expire 30 days.

4. install wireless ap station. and configure it, e.g. SSID, password etc.

5. then on your wireless client device, e.g. in my case i tested an android smartphone. login to the wifi as normal.


*update

apparently if connecting to the wireless AP by the QNAP's QWA-AC2600, it DOES connect you to the internet. I ran the ip check, and it is using the QNAP's PIA VPN gateway. I'm not sure whether the requirement for this is to use the QVPN setting (allow all devices connected to the QNAP to also use the internet), but i suspect so. So if you don't get internet access, try enabling that option (if your using e.g. VPN PIA as gateway)



As such my setup is just mostly to connect to the QNAP wireless just for access to the NAS only (for stuff like browsing pictures, videos, files etc, using apps like filexplorer, qphotos, qfile etc....)

so anyway, when your client device connects to the wireless ap, you can also go to QTS wireless ap station and see that your client successfully connected.



So now to test that i can actually browse my QNAP shares, i use file explorer fx for android. because it has lots of neat features.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tapp.fx.rk


You to the apps, network, then click the add, then browse. Your QNAP should be detected. Add your credentials then logged in. mine worked fine.

Next test i did was with qnap's own android app qphoto.

I click detect nas, but it didn't find anything.... so i had to manually add in the wireless AP IP, add credentials then connect. it worked. However like i said, in contrast to the file explorer app which could detect the QNAP on the network auto, the qphoto app could not. I don't know why not.

Another difference between these apps i noticed, the file explorer i could use the NAS name rather than digit lan ip. but the qphoto app did not allow that, and strictly wanted a digit lan ip.


Summary

So with my setup, the QNAP can be accessed wirelessly for both local. Also can get internet access through it as well for connected client devices.

Then for router wireless (for internet), that has another wireless ap setup in router which is for guest wireless with no LAN access. There is also another wireless ap for admin users, which has both lan and internet access (meaning entire lan access to other devices on the lan, besides the QNAP).

To access the QNAP, it can then only be done via rj45 direct to physical switch connected to the QNAP. or as i said, to use the QNAP's own wireless ap.


tested wireless performance, it has good signal strength :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4 HDD total x 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 Samsung 850 Evo raid1 + 16gb ddr4 Kingston Hyperx Fury + QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter addon.
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-659 Pro
[Backup] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-228
[Backup] QNAP TS-128 w. 1x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS)

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100mbps dl/50mbps ul FTTH Internet | Windows 10 Enterprise, Water Cooled PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)


Guides and articles by me
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review


https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

User avatar
afterdinnerspeaker
Starting out
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:34 am
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

Re: QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Post by afterdinnerspeaker » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:12 pm
spikemixture wrote:What are your plans for using this card?

Mine is on it's way!
i won it from the contest.

i think its useful for people who can't connect the qnap to a wired setup.....

but since i am able to connect to a wired ethernet.... that is obviously better....

so.... this wireless access point then is being used instead as a means for devices to connect wirelessly direct to the QNAP (as a secondary method if those devices aren't able to connect via ethernet to the network)

for example.... i have an android smartphone which connects to my network via my router normally (wirelessly). but since i got this new wireless adapter, i can instead just connect direct to the qnap for streaming media. why not :)
Hi again Moogle!

Hope you're doing fine. I'm the "grateful" guy trying to set up two TS-453Be boxes (one at home and the other on our farm).

I initially connected my windows laptop to my TS-453Be using the QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter using a "dynamic ip address" (right out of the box).

At the same time (and totally unrelated), I was having problems with my IE11 browser which made connecting to my NAS extremely sluggish.

Therefore, I connected my NAS to my router directly with cable which didn't solve the sluggish IE browser problem.

Eventually, I solved my browser problems by installing Chrome (the positive difference for me was astounding).

Then, while still connected to my router directly by cable, I changed my NAS network settings to a "static ip adddress".

Next, I unhooked the direct cable to my router and attempted to re-connect to my TS-453Be using the QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter. Unfortunately, QTS can no longer find my NAS!

Next, I did a "10 second" factory reset on my NAS and attempted to re-connect again. Same result!

When I access my router, I can no longer see my NAS on the list of connected devices. I also did a scan with "Fing" and the results were the same.

I really want to use an "static ip address" on both home & farm NAS since I think it will be more stable one I have both systems set to syncronize.

Once again Moogle, I come to you for advice whenever you have time to respond.

Regards,

Jerry
,

User avatar
Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything
Posts: 7174
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:21 am
Location: Around the world....
Contact:

Re: QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:24 am

afterdinnerspeaker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am
Hi again Moogle!

Hope you're doing fine. I'm the "grateful" guy trying to set up two TS-453Be boxes (one at home and the other on our farm).
i remember :)

Yeah i'm doing fine ty. I've just been a little busy with Apex Legends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgaeLCkzU1w


afterdinnerspeaker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am
At the same time (and totally unrelated), I was having problems with my IE11 browser which made connecting to my NAS extremely sluggish.

Therefore, I connected my NAS to my router directly with cable which didn't solve the sluggish IE browser problem.

Eventually, I solved my browser problems by installing Chrome (the positive difference for me was astounding).
You should switch to chrome. Actually maybe firefox is better, seeing as chrome wants to kill off gorhill's totally effective adblocker (ublock origin and umatrix :( ) in fact even microsoft hates it's own IE browser. They are telling people to stop using it and switch to chrome.


afterdinnerspeaker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am
Then, while still connected to my router directly by cable, I changed my NAS network settings to a "static ip adddress".
good idea. this solves a lot of issues. so your ip is fixed and never changes. networking 101.

afterdinnerspeaker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am
Next, I unhooked the direct cable to my router and attempted to re-connect to my TS-453Be using the QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter. Unfortunately, QTS can no longer find my NAS!
I think i know why. i also faced the same issue when first configuring the wireless adapter. To first setup the wireless, i strongly suggest using wired first. Once you setup the wireless adapter and you are ready to switch over to connect to it wirelessly, you can then remove the wire. If you did it right, you can connect to it wireless. If not then you can't connect. This is something i experienced as well until i set it up correctly.
afterdinnerspeaker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am
Next, I did a "10 second" factory reset on my NAS and attempted to re-connect again. Same result!
not sure what you mean 10 second. do you mean press the physical reset button? 1 beep is a soft reset. 2 beep is full blown factory reset (which i advise against unless you have a really good reason for doing so).
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... explained/

1 beep is generally safe, and mostly used for getting back access to the QNAP in case you forgot your password. (in QTS DO NOT disable the physical reset button. because it can save your bacon)

Anyway i think when you got stuck, you shouldn't have factory reset. instead you should have connected it back to wire to router and reconfigure your wireless to make sure it is setup correctly, then repeat by removing the wire and trying to connect via wireless.

afterdinnerspeaker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am
When I access my router, I can no longer see my NAS on the list of connected devices. I also did a scan with "Fing" and the results were the same.
i'm assuming at this point, your nas is not connected to the router wired? so this is expected. Only way that your NAS will be connected to router is if you setup the QNAP to connect to the router as a wireless client. The QNAP will then be issued an IP by the router.

afterdinnerspeaker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am

I really want to use an "static ip address" on both home & farm NAS since I think it will be more stable one I have both systems set to syncronize.

Once again Moogle, I come to you for advice whenever you have time to respond.

Regards,

Jerry
,

the option for the qnap wireless adapter

1. your qnap is setup as a wireless access point. you need to install the wireless AP station in appcenter in QTS. This mode basically removes the need for a router AP. as the QNAP is now doing the AP role. devices connected to it will be issued a fixed IP by the qnap (have to enable qnap dhcp server?)

2. you setup qnap to connect to a wireless ap (like your wireless router AP). Any ip issued to your QNAP will then be by the router. So you setup the fix ip on the router since it will be assigning the IP for the connected device.



I'm not an expert but i do know the rough details. So if anyone wants to cover what i missed (especially in regards to an ideal setup that will work for Jerry), feel free to do so :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4 HDD total x 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 Samsung 850 Evo raid1 + 16gb ddr4 Kingston Hyperx Fury + QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter addon.
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-659 Pro
[Backup] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-228
[Backup] QNAP TS-128 w. 1x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS)

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100mbps dl/50mbps ul FTTH Internet | Windows 10 Enterprise, Water Cooled PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)


Guides and articles by me
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review


https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

User avatar
afterdinnerspeaker
Starting out
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:34 am
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

Re: QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Post by afterdinnerspeaker » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:16 am

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:24 am
afterdinnerspeaker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am
Hi again Moogle!

Hope you're doing fine. I'm the "grateful" guy trying to set up two TS-453Be boxes (one at home and the other on our farm).
i remember :)

Yeah i'm doing fine ty. I've just been a little busy with Apex Legends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgaeLCkzU1w

Thanks for your fast reply!! I looked at the Youtube...wow!
afterdinnerspeaker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am
At the same time (and totally unrelated), I was having problems with my IE11 browser which made connecting to my NAS extremely sluggish.

Therefore, I connected my NAS to my router directly with cable which didn't solve the sluggish IE browser problem.

Eventually, I solved my browser problems by installing Chrome (the positive difference for me was astounding).
You should switch to chrome. Actually maybe firefox is better, seeing as chrome wants to kill off gorhill's totally effective adblocker (ublock origin and umatrix :( ) in fact even microsoft hates it's own IE browser. They are telling people to stop using it and switch to chrome.


afterdinnerspeaker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am
Then, while still connected to my router directly by cable, I changed my NAS network settings to a "static ip adddress".
good idea. this solves a lot of issues. so your ip is fixed and never changes. networking 101.

afterdinnerspeaker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am
Next, I unhooked the direct cable to my router and attempted to re-connect to my TS-453Be using the QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter. Unfortunately, QTS can no longer find my NAS!
I think i know why. i also faced the same issue when first configuring the wireless adapter. To first setup the wireless, i strongly suggest using wired first. Once you setup the wireless adapter and you are ready to switch over to connect to it wirelessly, you can then remove the wire. If you did it right, you can connect to it wireless. If not then you can't connect. This is something i experienced as well until i set it up correctly.
afterdinnerspeaker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am
Next, I did a "10 second" factory reset on my NAS and attempted to re-connect again. Same result!
not sure what you mean 10 second. do you mean press the physical reset button? 1 beep is a soft reset. 2 beep is full blown factory reset (which i advise against unless you have a really good reason for doing so).
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... explained/

1 beep is generally safe, and mostly used for getting back access to the QNAP in case you forgot your password. (in QTS DO NOT disable the physical reset button. because it can save your bacon)

Anyway i think when you got stuck, you shouldn't have factory reset. instead you should have connected it back to wire to router and reconfigure your wireless to make sure it is setup correctly, then repeat by removing the wire and trying to connect via wireless.

Yes, unfortunately I did the "ten second" reset (pressing and holding a pin into the reset hole on back of NAS).
afterdinnerspeaker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am
When I access my router, I can no longer see my NAS on the list of connected devices. I also did a scan with "Fing" and the results were the same.
i'm assuming at this point, your nas is not connected to the router wired? so this is expected. Only way that your NAS will be connected to router is if you setup the QNAP to connect to the router as a wireless client. The QNAP will then be issued an IP by the router.

That's right, I left the NAS not connected by wire until I heard from you.
afterdinnerspeaker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am

I really want to use an "static ip address" on both home & farm NAS since I think it will be more stable one I have both systems set to syncronize.

Once again Moogle, I come to you for advice whenever you have time to respond.

Regards,

Jerry
,

the option for the qnap wireless adapter

1. your qnap is setup as a wireless access point. you need to install the wireless AP station in appcenter in QTS. This mode basically removes the need for a router AP. as the QNAP is now doing the AP role. devices connected to it will be issued a fixed IP by the qnap (have to enable qnap dhcp server?)

2. you setup qnap to connect to a wireless ap (like your wireless router AP). Any ip issued to your QNAP will then be by the router. So you setup the fix ip on the router since it will be assigning the IP for the connected device.

Question: Do I have to set up my NAS as a wireless access point first in order for me to connect to it from my pc?

I actually intended to continue using my existing router as an access point (as it is now) and thought my NAS (wireless) would be seen by my router just as any of my other wireless devices.

Moogle, I'm really mixed up now.

Jerry

I'm not an expert but i do know the rough details. So if anyone wants to cover what i missed (especially in regards to an ideal setup that will work for Jerry), feel free to do so :)

User avatar
afterdinnerspeaker
Starting out
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:34 am
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

Re: QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Post by afterdinnerspeaker » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:18 am

Moogle, I think I did that wrong. I was attempting to quote only certain paragraphs as you had and respond to each. I guess I need a lesson in that too!

User avatar
Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything
Posts: 7174
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:21 am
Location: Around the world....
Contact:

Re: QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:31 pm

afterdinnerspeaker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:18 am
Moogle, I think I did that wrong. I was attempting to quote only certain paragraphs as you had and respond to each. I guess I need a lesson in that too!
yeh u dont need to quote everything :} block wall of text hehe.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4 HDD total x 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 Samsung 850 Evo raid1 + 16gb ddr4 Kingston Hyperx Fury + QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter addon.
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-659 Pro
[Backup] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-228
[Backup] QNAP TS-128 w. 1x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS)

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100mbps dl/50mbps ul FTTH Internet | Windows 10 Enterprise, Water Cooled PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)


Guides and articles by me
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review


https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

User avatar
afterdinnerspeaker
Starting out
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:34 am
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

Re: QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Post by afterdinnerspeaker » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:21 pm

Hi again Moogle!

I gave up trying to copy a section of text to quote (instead of the whole message) so I'll just continue with my question.

When you said, "I think i know why. i also faced the same issue when first configuring the wireless adapter. To first setup the wireless, i strongly suggest using wired first. Once you setup the wireless adapter and you are ready to switch over to connect to it wirelessly, you can then remove the wire.", did you make the change to "static" ip address on your NAS before you removed the wire?

Regards,

Jerry

User avatar
Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything
Posts: 7174
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:21 am
Location: Around the world....
Contact:

Re: QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:29 pm

hm.... depends.

if i was doing wireless ap station, then i configured dhcp on the qnap.

if i did the wireless client for the qnap to connect to the router ap, then i only set the fix ip on the router for the qnap.

as for what could be misconfigured while i was doing my own first time setup test, i can't remember what i did wrong to cause this issue, i only recall this is what happened (wireless didn't work, so i had to connect it back to wired again to troubleshoot the settings). i had to wired first unplug, test wireless, plug back wired and repeat until it got setup correctly.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4 HDD total x 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 Samsung 850 Evo raid1 + 16gb ddr4 Kingston Hyperx Fury + QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter addon.
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-659 Pro
[Backup] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-228
[Backup] QNAP TS-128 w. 1x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS)

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100mbps dl/50mbps ul FTTH Internet | Windows 10 Enterprise, Water Cooled PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)


Guides and articles by me
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review


https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

User avatar
afterdinnerspeaker
Starting out
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:34 am
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

Re: QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Post by afterdinnerspeaker » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:40 pm

I actually don't want to do a wireless ap station, I just want to connect to my NAS wirelessly.

So, when I set up my NAS (wired directly to my router), do I make the change to "static" ip address while I'm still connected to my router by cable?

Thanks again,

Jerry

Post Reply

Return to “Users' Corner”