Bad Drive or Not?

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
XerisToo
New here

Bad Drive or Not?

Post by XerisToo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:10 am

Hi all,

Wonder if you can help, I have a TS-453A with 2x 6TB WD reds in raid 1 config.
One of my drives last month spat this error out:
[Hardware Status] "Host: Disk 1": Medium error. Run a bad block scan on the drive. Replace the drive if the error persists.
and has so another 10-12 times since.

I've had the drive out and put it into a dock twice and ran a full painful 10hr scan on it using WD Lifeguard, and it come up with nothing.

The smart scans show nothing wrong, and all the smart values are the same as the other drive, no reloaction, no problems.

I run a scan with QTS and i get this:
Warning 2020/02/15 03:54:31 System 127.0.0.1 Storage & Snapshots Disk [Storage & Snapshots] Stopped scanning for bad blocks on disk "Host: Disk 1". Bad blocks detected: 270. Scan was stopped by user.
(I never stopped it, it ejected the drive)

No idea whats going on here.
I have another drive arriving tomorrow, was part of a future planned stepped upgrade to do so but brought it forward and will do a drive swap on the RAID but odd that WD's scanning finds nothing.

I'm tempted to put it into another bay after, set it up again as a normal drive and run a scan on it...

dolbyman
Guru

Re: Bad Drive or Not?

Post by dolbyman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:23 am

try the same drive in another bay..you might have a broken backplane

XerisToo
New here

Post by XerisToo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:23 am

Joy, and bet getting that sorted or even a part will be like winning the lottery... lengthy and fruitless.

Well put it into bay 3, its not picked it up as the raid (possibly because how i did it) but I can run a block scan on it and thats all I really need from it.
Will have to wait and see.

Hopefully it is just the drive playing funny on me... Really like my little 453A.

Having a look around the forums I've seen backplanes become a pain in the back :lol:
Anyway makes me think it might be worth while keeping an eye out for this part appearing in places and to keep as a spare...?

XerisToo
New here

Post by XerisToo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:09 am

Yeah no errors on the drive found in bay 3.

Looks like it might be the issue, thanks for the help.

Any idea on the next step?
I've reached out to support but the device is out of warranty so I suspect I might have to just live with the lack of a bay 1 from now on

Return to “Users' Corner”