Folder searching by folder name (full or partial)

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
sgadd32
New here

Folder searching by folder name (full or partial)

Post by sgadd32 »

Folder name searching,

I am using archiving with a date and time includeas the folder names, I need to be able to search the folders using a search parameter like - 2018019112 for example - where that equals 12th hour of 19/02/2018 (the full folder name also includes the minute and second - eg, 20180219124515)

But there seems to be no way to do a simple search based on part of the folder name?

I have also tried QSirch and that appears to also overlook this facility?

Steve.
P3R
Guru

Re: Folder searching by folder name (full or partial)

Post by P3R »

You give no clue to where and how you want that but as far as I can tell partial folder name searching work in File Station.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
sgadd32
New here

Post by sgadd32 »

Sorry it's taken me over a year to return to this query,

I need to do 'partial' Folder name searches in my Synchronised backups - The data is a straight forward copy of the original data.

This is an example of a windows search of a reverse date string that is derived from the actual folder names, of which there are millions.

Even if it can be done by File Station that would be something that I would have to do rather than end users who need to do queries and access the data, They cannot practically access the servers console to do this, something like Windows Indexing and QSearch that can be run remotely is the required solution.

QNAP Folder names searching - Windows Search example.PNG
Cheers for your help,

Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

As I said, File Station can do partial name searches.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
sgadd32
New here

Post by sgadd32 »

Even if it can be done by File Station that would be something that I would have to do rather than end users who need to do queries and access the data,

They cannot practically access the servers console to do this, and it takes forever, freezes up the console while it's searching.

Something like Windows Indexing and QSearch that can be run remotely is the required solution.

Really an Indexing solution is what is needed and that seems to be QSearch?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

I'm sorry, sloppy reading on my part. If Qsirch doesn't work, then I'm not aware of a solution.

sgadd32
New here

Post by sgadd32 »

OK thanks, it's a real shame because if they just added that feature then all of their NAS products would be as practical as any other servers or clients capable of running Windows OS.

However - as it is now, I have to do all the searches personally and each single search takes over a day to find all the results!

Oh and unless I'm using it incorrectly File Station only performs full string searches, if I try a 'Partial name' string it only returns the first one that it finds, so no practical wildcard results, but I may be doing it wrong, but it's so impractical that it's not a suitable option anyway.

Cheers,

Steve,
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

sgadd32 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:02 pm Oh and unless I'm using it incorrectly File Station only performs full string searches...
It doesn't for me. If I search for 2011_08_ I will get all folders beginning with "2011_08_" from the point where I do the the search and in all subfolders. Maybe you didn't do te search from high enough up in the shared folder?

But I don't know how that work with millions(!) of folders. File Station may choke...

sgadd32
New here

Post by sgadd32 »

I'll have another go with that because it takes over a day at the moment to do it the way I have been; using Windows search.

I'll submit a request ticket to the QSirch Team as well.

Thanks.

Return to “Users' Corner”