Disabling admin account on NAS, blocked windows 10 access

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
ymo1965
New here

Disabling admin account on NAS, blocked windows 10 access

Post by ymo1965 »

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if someone could help. I'm new to NAS drives. Got my first one this year (TS-128A / firmware '4.5.4.1723'). Anyway, Ive been logging in using the admin account for a while now
but kept seeing the message advising me to make a new user account. So I did and set it up ok. Trouble is, some advice online said to disable the admin account.

So I went to privileges and disabled the admin account. then I noticed that my NAS drive wasn't accessible in windows explorer any more. Kept telling me is was disabled
or unavailable. I didnt think it was because I disabled the admin login. Why is this blocking windows when all I was doing was disabling the login on the NAS drive?

I was trying to back track to find out what I had done to cause this. Rebooted windows 10, all sorts. Now I find it's the NAS settings. If admin accounts are not advisable,
then why do QNAP make one available at the beginning. If they had made the account creation part of setup and no admin was created by default, would of made more
sense to me.

Thanks,
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Disabling admin account on NAS, blocked windows 10 access

Post by dolbyman »

if you used the admin account to mount/access the shares, then you disable the admin account on the NAS..you will not have access anymore..so just make sure the new user has access and use that user to mount/access
Last edited by dolbyman on Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ymo1965
New here

Post by ymo1965 »

Thanks for the reply. The new user account did have access to all the files after I disabled the admin login. I could access all the files via Plex on my smart tv and my android phone as well. So why does it mess windows up though and not the others?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Windows stores the credentials, Plex Server uses and internal system user and I don't know how android handles SMB access (not sure it is native anyways)

Check your credential storage to see if saved credentials are in there

Return to “Users' Corner”