HELP! TVS-473 fails during Boot Process after Firmware update

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
flynnjo
New here

HELP! TVS-473 fails during Boot Process after Firmware update

Post by flynnjo »

I hope you can help me.

My 4drive TVS-473 NAS failed during the latest firmware update two days ago (via QFinder Pro). It is now stuck at the boot process and will not go any further. I have been following a number of the troubleshooting items online but am stumped. I am now at the stage where I am going to do the firmware recovery as outlined in the QNAP WIKI at this link:

[https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Rec ... 3088XU_NAS[

I was able to get to the point where I could copy the DOM.IMG onto the NAS itself. in following the instructions, I reboot the NAS and remove the USB. It starts to go through the boot process and it still hangs up. It is not connected to the network nor are the drives installed at this point.

I am not sure what is happening in the device. It may be a network VPN setup change I had made prior to the firmware flashing occurred

So my questions at this point are
1) Is there a more current version of the firmware I can use for recovering the NAS
2) Is there a way to reset the device back to factory which will also reset the network settings to factory
2a) Will this reset impact the file structure and data stored on the drives? If I have to redo user IDs etc that will be easy provided the data and fileshares are not impacted.
3) Are there any tricks to get the NAS to jump through the booting process so I can find it in QFinder and reflash it with the latest firmware.

Thank you for any help you can provide

JF
dolbyman
Guru

Re: HELP! TVS-473 fails during Boot Process after Firmware update

Post by dolbyman »

1) depends on what version you installed
2) try to start the nas without disks, then insert all disks during setup (see if it starts then)
2a) shouldn't..but external full backups are needed at all times
3) see 2)
flynnjo
New here

Re: HELP! TVS-473 fails during Boot Process after Firmware update

Post by flynnjo »

Thanks Dolbyman. I did all of what you noted already and do have backups (albeit not 100% current - probably 95%).

the version I used was the one that the recovery instructions said to use - F_TVS-X73_20160908-1.3.0.img.

Where it is hanging up in the boot process, the message (via hdmi connect) is:

0 early console in decompress_kernel
decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.
booting the kernel.

Also during the process it will give a short high beep and then a few seconds later a short low beep and then it is stuck on the booting...... message in the lcd.

I am very sure this is software as the firmware update process is what caused this to occur.

I also replaced the battery in the NAS with a new CR2032 hoping the issue might have been impacted by a too low battery to keep the bios flashed. No luck.

If there is a more version of the firmware that I can use, please let me know and I will look for it. So far I have been unsuccessful finding a newer version number and where to download it.

The key is that I really need to recover this NAS as purchasing a like replacement would be coming from Asia (with very, very long wait times) and cost about 4x what I paid for this new.

Return to “Users' Corner”