Broken TS 253 PRO - what next?

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Kvakac
Starting out

Broken TS 253 PRO - what next?

Post by Kvakac »

Hi, I used the TS 253 Pro with 8Gb RAM and 2x 4TB disk for photo backup and movie storage. I watched the movies using Plex on my samsung tv. I was hit by qlocker, but managed to recover some photos. Then the NAS was hit by the no boot, LED red issue, which I fixed temporarily with the 100 ohm resistor, but now it is randomly restarting, so no longer usable.

So the question is, what next? I would like to have a NAS and to use it for the same purpose - to ideally store photos from my mobile to avoid paid cloud services and to watch movies.
Is there any good app that could do this with qnap?
Which model would you recommend that is similar in performance?
Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Broken TS 253 PRO - what next?

Post by dolbyman »

You have been hit by ransomware already .. but you still want to expose it to WAN ? .. *wowza*

Only thing I would advise to do is to look into nextcloud (owncloud,etc) and run that on a separate environment (container/VM) so if that get's compromised, your NAS is still safe.
Do not expose any other NAS port other than the VM (either NAT,Bridge port or even separate NIC used exclusively for NC/OC / etc)

I currently have a 453DX with a test install of NC (via Ubuntu VM), it get's constantly attacked but I keep it updated (and behind a UTM) , so a low end Celeron unit is able to do what you want .. just don't do it plain on the NAS

Return to “Users' Corner”