QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
cascate
New here

Re: QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Post by cascate »

Wonedering if my Problem is same and 100 Ohm fix can help. Got a qnap TS453 Pro (from a friend) with all hdd lights always
red and lcd Message System booting with the arrrows. But always have Access to bios and vga Output.
DOM and other HDD´s are visible on bios.

I did Dom recovery, also changed the Adad Dom by replacing with an usb Stick according Guide i also found here.
Even with Old or new Dom System, one beep sounds after start and bios is passed (without hdd). Some minutes later 3 beeps
are there and qnap can be found by qfinder and also access via vga/console is possible.

Shutdown or restart with Qfinder possible. After the DOM recovery the versions is something around 1.2.8 (as the recovery image is).
Once I start software update (via qfinder) I can choose automatic with QTS 4.3.6 or manually. I tried several ways and
different QTS versions (4.3.6.0895 build 20190328 was lowest I could find on QNAp page), automatic or manual. All without HDD. Because if I add HDD the light is still red an HDD not found
(one time it could found on bay 3, but formatting 1 tb took almost 1 hour and did not ended. So I stopped it).

I cannot make an update of the stock DOM image and also can not have success access on HDD´s via QTS.
Double click in qnap will pass me to web interface, and here i have to configure, but it always says no HDD is found.

If checking fdisk -l it shows the attached HDD, so it is there and the controller / mainboard should be ok or?

The symptons i have a are a bit different to the once descibed from lot of users. So, not sure if it helps on my problem
using OHM trick. Or could it be the power supply? But before i spend around 80 Euro for nothing maybe there are other
ideas or steps to do i don´t see.

RAM was also tested with memtest and no bad results given out. All other points with force power, power off etc was also
made, but does not bring positive results.

I really don´t have anymore idea if anything else can be made.
Anyone can help or give new approach?

PS: i´m not an technican and don´t know how to measure the PSU and soldering something on a board.

Thanks for any help in advance
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

use dupont wires (if you have a lpc header) to test the resistor fix without soldering

has been posted a few times throughout the topic
cascate
New here

Post by cascate »

I read it already but don´t have LPC header. Only possibility is to solder it. maybe need to check with my friends who may could do it
karlak
New here

Post by karlak »

Just joined the "system rebooting" Club, System fan fail message then after a reboot, same as others. no HDMI etc. TS-453 Pro, purchased June 2015 (UK)

Have ordered a 100 ohm resistor, thankyou to @yujungchang. Hopefully, it will get me back up and running..
Qnap TS-453 Pro 4 x 1Tb WD RED Disks.
JediNite
New here

Post by JediNite »

Hi all,

I think I am in similar boat to a number of users here but with my TS-453Be. Looked at it a week ago and saw it had a solid red STATUS light and nothing else. Rebooted it and then the only thing it would do is the red Status LED would be solid for 30 seconds and then change to flashing and nothing else. Removed all the drives and then the next day tried the 100 ohm resistor trick that has been mentioned on several forums and this made no difference. I then tried to see if I could mount the 4 RAID5 drives in a Linux PC and see if the data was readable that way. I was able to get Linux to see the RAID structure, but then it was unable to mount the Volume Group and the Logical Volumes after that (in a similar way to what many people have posted in other threads) as well. So it looks like the only way I can get the data back off this NAS is to go out and buy another NAS that should be compatible with the TS-453Be and hope the Disk Migration works to import in the pre-existing NAS. I am having a hard time in my mind though justifying handing more money to QNAP, when this unit is only a tad over 3 years old. Ideally would be good if I could borrow a NAS that is local to me for 2-3 days and just copy the data off to elsewhere and then I would not have this feeling of locking myself into QNAP again unnecessarily.

Cheers,

JediNite
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

I am having a hard time in my mind though justifying handing more money to QNAP, when this unit is only a tad over 3 years old.
The underlying cause of these short-life failures was a design weakness in the specific Intel CPU used in this model.
It's not just QNAP that's been impacted by this electromigration problem.
The CPU was redesigned by Intel to fix the problem, and other CPUs don't suffer from it.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

if I could borrow a NAS that is local to me for 2-3 days
Where are you located?
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
karlak
New here

Post by karlak »

QNAP have offered me a $320 repair through RMA. Although if they have not fixed the real issue on the reworked boards, what is the point ?
Qnap TS-453 Pro 4 x 1Tb WD RED Disks.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Although if they have not fixed the real issue on the reworked boards, what is the point ?
The replaced board will be using the new stepping of the Intel CPU that no longer has the degradation flaw.
JediNite
New here

Post by JediNite »

AlastairStevenson wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:03 pm
if I could borrow a NAS that is local to me for 2-3 days
Where are you located?
Brisbane, Australia
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Brisbane, Australia
Oh, OK. A bit far to offer some physical help then.
wongleslie
Starting out

Post by wongleslie »

After upgrading QTS 5.0 RC and QuTS 5.0, the reasons for stucking in the “BOOTING SYSTEM" occasionally occur after the restarting (attaching solution)
In particular, this solution is not intended for users who want to use the Hybird Desk station app.
Read the premise of this post :①Upgraded the QTS 5.0 RC or QuTS 5.0 Beta ; ②Ability to access the system and connect to QNAP via SSH .
My NAS Configuration : QNAP TVS-872XT , i9-9900T CPU , 64GB Memory .
Current System Version : QuTS 5.0 Beta .
Problem Description : System stuck at "BOOTING SYSTEM" and no any reaction after upgrading QTS 5.0 RC or QuTS 5.0 Beta .
My own diagnosis process : ①Viewed the dmesg output and found one error message "failed to load i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin " ; ②Searched the file "kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin" in Google and found the file is a HDMI/VGA driver ; ③The preliminary conclusion is that Kernel 5.0 does not support i9 CPU graphics drivers .
Solution : DO NOT to load the graphic driver when loading the kernel 5.0
Specific steps : ①Mount the first partition of the DOM of your QNAP (Make sure that you have updated the latest version of the QNAP firmware before you execute this command) ;②vim /grub/grub.cfg ; ③Add the parameter "nomodeset" after "/boot/bzImage root/dev/ram0 rw " (/boot/bzImage root/dev/ram0 rw nomodeset); ④Save the file /grub/grub.cfg and restart your QNAP; ⑤Everything goes OK .
momoman
Starting out

Post by momoman »

Another TS-453 Pro recovered with a 100 ohm resistor!
Unfortunately, I know it's not a definitive solution but at least it's working.

I'm searching for a replacement... TS-453D or TS-451D2? What do you suggest?
Paxinox
First post

Post by Paxinox »

Thank you so much guys!
This NAS also died around the same time, and I just fixed it with an 100ohm resistor.

Great stuff! I think this is my first and last QNAP tbh :P
Woody_ch
New here

Post by Woody_ch »

Similar issue here.

TS-453 Pro-8g failed booting after firmware Upgrade from 4.5.X to 5.X

Display states 'System Booting' no network link on any interface. All HDD green.

I connected Keyboard and Monitor. Kernel 5.10.60-qnap is booting, eventually the display switches to a graphical interface, but is stuck there.
If I hit ESC a couple of times, I can login with admin:admin

Doing a 'dmesg' I see that a kernel gpf (or Oops) is generated while loading mobule mpt3sas version 33.00.00.00

I suppose disks are present and recognized by the kernel.

doing a cat /proc/partitions I see 16 ram drives, my 4 HDD drives (sda to sdd) and probably the DOM drive /dev/sde about 500MB large.But none of them is mounted.

What else do I see.... 'can't find a valid FAT filesystem' on /dev/sde1

Has anyone a ready to use bootable USB image to re-flash DOM?

http://eu1.qnap.com/Storage/tsd/fullima ... -1.2.8.img is extremely old and you have to do that cumbersome work-around with the bootable mini linux iso.

Return to “Users' Corner”