QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Woody_ch
New here

Re: QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Post by Woody_ch »

Ok, I created a bootable USB Disk with unetbootin
I put dsl-4.4.10-initrd.iso on in. That's an very very outdate Knoppix Kernel 2.3 something, that does not even managet to initialize the USB devices on the TS-453 Pro. I even disabled USB3.0 in the BIOS, no change.
I'm playing with the idea to try with a debian rescue CD or similar.
dd'ing the dom.img to the internal Qnap USB drive should be pretty straight forward. If I manage to get access to that damn thing!
Woody_ch
New here

Post by Woody_ch »

I attemted to disable USB3 to see if the knoppix kernel then manages to work with only USB2.0

Bummer! Now I can not boot from USB. Looks like this disable USB alltogether. My USB Keyboard is not working anymore so can not enter the BIOS to re-enable USB3.0

Where is the BIOS Reset-Switch?
remydlc
New here

Post by remydlc »

momoman wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:38 am Another TS-453 Pro recovered with a 100 ohm resistor!
Unfortunately, I know it's not a definitive solution but at least it's working.

I'm searching for a replacement... TS-453D or TS-451D2? What do you suggest?
Maybe a Synology? not sure I can trust them anymore after they sold us dups and do nothing about it. I know stuff failed, but this is not a random issue.
zsoltsomogyi
First post

Post by zsoltsomogyi »

I have 2 (one in the office and one at home) 453Pro 8GB and same situation with both devices. The first one started 2 weeks ago, the second today. All 4 HDD LEDs are red, and stuck in system booting. Tried to remove HDDs, soft and hard reset, nothing... Is there anyone who successfully restored without any hardware modification? Thx
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no amount of talking or hoping will make a hardware fault go away .. unclear how you hope to fix this without any hardware modification
Maurice84
Starting out

Post by Maurice84 »

I have a recently dead QNAP TS-453B (blinking red light, no fan, no hdd spinup) and had hopes of fixing the problem as described in this topic. I have a 9pin LPC header but unfortunately Pin 1 of the LPC CLK is reading ~0.6v, so for my understanding I need to gain the voltage just enough it should reach ~1.7v? Pin 8 is reading Ground and all other pins are 3.3v (except pin 6 which is ~0,1v). Unfortunately I do not have a scope, so I'm touching a bit in the dark here (except for the voltages).

I went on soldering a resistor between Pin 1 and a 3.3v pin from the white COM header next to it (just to prevent disturbing other LPC pins) which gave me 3.3v on Pin 1, but it did not matter which resistor I chose (100ohm/220ohm kept it at 3.3v). I then thought lowering the value by combining soldering a 220ohm resistor between Pin 1 and 8 (ground) and that did lower the voltage to 1.3v, but before I ruin anything I'd like an opinion on this approach.

Should I continue increasing the resistor value to have Pin 1 around 1.7v? Or should I do something else in this case (i.e. jumpwires/chip-leg soldering?)
kenco53
First post

Post by kenco53 »

Following a short term power outage my TS-453 Pro has also joined the "system booting" club. Luckily I still have access to the data etc. Will be applying the resistor "fix" shorty. Thanks guys.
beej1
New here

Post by beej1 »

AlastairStevenson wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:59 pm
Although if they have not fixed the real issue on the reworked boards, what is the point ?
The replaced board will be using the new stepping of the Intel CPU that no longer has the degradation flaw.
There are other QNAP NASs that I could use but don't want to buy into the same problem I have with the problematic CPU. Do you know if the TS-451D2 uses a newer stepping, or a CPU that doesn't degrade? Just looking at the CPU model number doesn't tell me a lot. I think the TS-451D2 would fit my needs otherwise.

Thanks.
chairmann
New here

Post by chairmann »

i hope this helps someone... my ts453-pro always winds up 'stuck' at 'system booting' after a power loss. here is my method to bring it back to life:

1. power off nas, by holding in the power button for at least 10 seconds
2. remove [unlock and leave in bays] all hard drives
3. remove all ethernet cables from nas
4. remove power chord from nas
5. using a paper clp, press the reset button [recessed in back of nas] for 5 seconds MAX [>=10 seconds performs a dreaded factory reset]
6. plug in only power
7. repeats step 5 then power on nas
8. in under 5 minutes, display should say 'loading drivers'.. if it does not, repeat steps 5 6 7
9. after nas completely boots, hdmi output will display initialization instructions... DO NOT INITIALIZE
10. power off nas by holding in power button for at least 10 seconds
11. slide in & lock all hard drives
12. plug in ethernet cables
13. power on nas with power button
14. let nas boot completely
15. from web interface, perform a file system check

be thankful your data survived!
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

i hope this helps someone... my ts453-pro always winds up 'stuck' at 'system booting' after a power loss. here is my method to bring it back to life:
I'd speculate that the clock signal in question is degraded just sufficiently to no longer work properly - but after the device has cooled down slightly from being powered off has just crossed the borderline of working again until it warms up.

A suggested experiment :
When it won't reboot -
Disconnect power and LAN cables, place the NAS in the fridge for 10 minutes.
Take it out, reconnect the cables, see if it boots normally.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
GyTe666
First post

Post by GyTe666 »

Long time reader first time poster! Thanks community :) I fixed my TS251 Plus with 100 Ohm resistor method posted here. Everything started two days ago after a local power-cut and after a lot of search I landed here... and it was the right spot!

Everything is up and running as usual and I did already a backup of data present on both disks to another disk but my question is...Can I keep the TS 251 Plus running as usual or this mod is intended to be a "temporary" fix just to complete a backup?

Thanks again!
Nees
Know my way around

Post by Nees »

Just wanted to add myself to the list of users with the failure.

I started to get mails that my System fans were failing, shortly after, system wasnt responding anymore and had rebooted itself and stuck at booting.
After pulling the power, pulling the drives and trying to boot... all red leds and no status light... it was dead, "system booting" but nothing.

Found this topic, applied the 100ohm resistor and it booted again! Copied all my data and now will see how long it will continue to live. As this fix takes the clock from somewhere else that isn't affected, could work for years... Found someone that has applied this fix 2 years ago and still running on reddit... So we'll see. Saved me some money!
TS-639_Pro-Raid6-WD_RE_GP-3.8.4_20130816
TS-853_Pro-Raid6-WD_RE_4-4.1.3_20150313
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Nees wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:36 pm ... Copied all my data and now will see how long it will continue to live. ... Saved me some money!
Spent the money for an external USB drive (or two) for backing up the data at regular schedule. :wink:
Will save you a lot of time and makes you more relaxed during next issue, by whatever it is caused.

Regards
sbasinger
First post

Post by sbasinger »

My TS-251 died two days ago. I took it apart, tested the voltage across pins 1 & 8 and saw that it was 2.7V. I got a 100 Ohm resistor from work, soldered it in today and the system is working fine now! There were 5 error messages the night it failed, all about the system fan.

The motherboard is a pretty nifty piece of work. It was fun...
BLMRS
First post

Post by BLMRS »

Just wanted to drop a note of thanks. Had a sudden fan error display and then the system got stuck in a rebooting loop. Followed the posts from earlier and dropped a 100Ohm resistor in and boom... back in working order. Thanks for saving me thousands of dollars in gear and time if I had to replace it. Cheers!

Return to “Users' Corner”