what is it good for

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
stansoft
New here

what is it good for

Post by stansoft »

Hi all just bought a new nas with drives installed all latest updates and after looking on this forum it seems i bought a storage box ?? i have sent a ticket to support
saying
Just bought new Nas unit with drives to share photos with family on web, looking at forum its advised not to go on web with this nas, so if i wanted a storage drive i would have bought wd book a lot cheaper, so advise how to use this nas for sharing on web, if its not fit for purpose i shall send it back for a refund thanks

Any body with any advice thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Re: what is it good for

Post by dolbyman »

Probably better to return it and use the money towards an account with dropbox/onedrive/etc
It is extremely risky to expose these boxes to the open web ..so don't
stansoft
New here

Post by stansoft »

thanks for reply dolbyman exactly what I thought especially with all the software problems QNAP have, personally they should not be selling products not fit for purpose!! Am sure if if they was NO Buyers for qnap nases they would soon have all these software issues fixed ??
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you use them for their purpose..network storage , they are just fine .. but any system exposed to the web, needs to be hardened and always up to date (and even then you need to prepare for the worst at any time)

QNAP advertised cloud features to the general public..a fatal issue

- People have no clue what online safety is
- People don't know how to make and keep backups
- People don't keep their systems up to date

On top..qnap programming is horrible (hardcoded backdoors)
stansoft
New here

Post by stansoft »

I had my own unmanaged Linux box i know was basically 24/7 checking vulnerabilities, So a Q all these latest software updates from qnap are still not sufficient ??
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

Regardless of what system you use, if you expose services to the internet there are risks and you need to understand them and take steps to mitigate them.
I have several NASs and I do expose some of the services to the internet. But I take significant steps to reduce the risks that this creates. For instance one runs Plex and I use port forwarding rules to allow remote access to Plex. That NAS does not provide any other services, only Plex.
If you place data on Dropbox or other services but don’t follow best practices to protect your data you will lose it and it will become public.
It comes down to understanding risk and mitigating it as needed. Any system you choose has risks.
Regardless of what systems you use, if you just blindly set it up and share your data, photos and such without taking steps to protect it you will lose your data or it will become public. Generally the easier it is to access your data outside of your home network the more likely it will get hacked.
In short, understand the risks of sharing your data. Decide what level of risk you are willing to accept. Take steps to mitigate risks. Backup data you don’t want to lose. Enjoy your end results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stansoft
New here

Post by stansoft »

thanks for the info tiktakma i have already changed QTS port i have everything off and checked for open ports (none), but still get 60 packets blocked an hour ? qtransmission sounds interesting, thanks.
stansoft
New here

Post by stansoft »

Cbrad01 thanks for the info i know nothing is secure over the web, i always relied on updates for vulnerabilities over my Linux box, q was are these latest updates from qnap not securing latest hacks loop holes ect?? thanks
stansoft
New here

Post by stansoft »

tiktakman yes have seen app recently on QNAPClubpro while browsing thanks

Return to “Users' Corner”