Current WAN IP disappears - Anybody have this issue?

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
spikemixture
Been there, done that

Current WAN IP disappears - Anybody have this issue?

Post by spikemixture »

My NAS keeps loosing connections to my DDNS - myqnapclound and one noip.com
And looses connection to sonarr indexes.

Then I noticed my WAN ip was blank (as pic shows)
My other NAS has my static IP in that spot.

i have ticket open with qnap.
On their suggestion I swapped ethernet cables.
They connected remotely and reset my network. ( I could have done that :-0)
No change.

What works is a reboot. I get my DDNS , my WAN ip and my sonarr all connecting correcting.
For a few hours !

Also i cannot connect to Helpdesk - ( I must find my support email and get to the help section with the internal link)

Has anyone had this issue??
ddnsbbCapture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Qnap TS-1277 1700 (48gb RAM) 8x10TB WD White,- Raid5, 2x M.2 Crucial 1TB (Raid 1 VM),
2x SSD 860 EVO 500gb (Raid1 QTS), 2x SSD 860 EVO 250GB (Cache), 2x M.2 PCIe 970 500gb NVME (Raid1 Plex and Emby server)
GTX 1050 TI
Qnap TVS-1282 i7 (32GB RAM) 6x8TB WD White - JBOD, 2x M.2 Crucial 500gb (Raid1 VM),
2x SSD EVO 500gb (Raid1 QTS), 2x SSD EVO 250gb (Raid1 Cache), 2x M.2 PCIe Intel 512GB NVME (Raid1-Servers)
Synology -1817+ - DOA
Drobo 5n - 5x4TB Seagate, - Drobo Raid = 15TB
ProBox 8 Bay USB3 - 49TB mixed drives - JBOD
All software is updated asap.
I give my opinion from my experience i.e. I have (or had) that piece of equipment/software and used it! :roll:
spikemixture
Been there, done that

Re: Current WAN IP disappears - FIXED !

Post by spikemixture »

For any having this issue or cares I think i have solved my problem.
Solved is not really correct as it is a work around until qnap fixed the deeper problem

As well as having no WAN IP
I had issues with Sonarr
Help desk would not open
And DDNS were on and off inconsistently.

Since turning off MYqnapcloud link all problems have gone.

I have passed this onto QNAP..
Qnap TS-1277 1700 (48gb RAM) 8x10TB WD White,- Raid5, 2x M.2 Crucial 1TB (Raid 1 VM),
2x SSD 860 EVO 500gb (Raid1 QTS), 2x SSD 860 EVO 250GB (Cache), 2x M.2 PCIe 970 500gb NVME (Raid1 Plex and Emby server)
GTX 1050 TI
Qnap TVS-1282 i7 (32GB RAM) 6x8TB WD White - JBOD, 2x M.2 Crucial 500gb (Raid1 VM),
2x SSD EVO 500gb (Raid1 QTS), 2x SSD EVO 250gb (Raid1 Cache), 2x M.2 PCIe Intel 512GB NVME (Raid1-Servers)
Synology -1817+ - DOA
I give my opinion from my experience i.e. I have (or had) that piece of equipment/software and used it! :roll:
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Current WAN IP disappears - Anybody have this issue?

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

in regards to wan ip,

you can check your virtual switch settings that the gateway is correctly setup, which is pointing toward your router lan ip.

check also the qts gateway correctly points . virtual switches > interfaces > system gateway. make sure this is correct. i don't have a complex setup so auto works fine.

then next check your router if it's setup correctly.

sometimes in qts, the ui might not be correct and may have to close tab, clear cache even, then reload a new tab to login to qts again see if wan ip shows and you have internet on your nas.

that's all i can think of :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
spikemixture
Been there, done that

Post by spikemixture »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:52 pm in regards to wan ip,

Thanks Moogle,

I had added this to my post

Since turning off MYqnapcloud link all problems have gone.
GTX 1050 TI
Synology -1817+ - DOA
spikemixture
Been there, done that

Post by spikemixture »

Update

Back to all the original issues.

Ticket still open with Qnap
GTX 1050 TI
Synology -1817+ - DOA
Manfred73
Starting out

Post by Manfred73 »

Since updating to QTS h5.0.0.1772 I ran into this issue as well.

First of all, Container Station was no longer working in this firmware version. I had running pi-hole with DHCP enabled on the QNAP, but Container Station and docker failed after the update. Not sure if I should stick to using pi-hole for a DHCP and DNS server on the QNAP if these issues keep appearing with every firmware upgrade (might switch back to DHCP server on the router instead).

Then I also suddenly got these errors about wrong DNS configuration. First I thought it might be related to the above issue that docker was no longer running my pi-hole, so I switched back to DHCP on the router and rebooted both router and QNAP. It was working again, only to find out a day later the connection was lost again. Then I noticed the WAN IP being empty. Only way to get it back is a daily reboot, which takes about 15 minutues (not the fastest).

I'm also running a VPN client on my Router and all traffic from QNAP to the outside should go through the VPN client. After a reboot of the QNAP, the WAN IP being assigned comes from the VPN client. But also without VPN client this issue occurs.

Before the update to h5.0.0.1772 I didn't have these issues. Was it ever fixed or has it been introduced again in this update?

As far as I know I haven't used or configured MYqnapcloud. How to turn this off?
What's the ticket for this issue of WAN IP disappearing by the way?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

OP has QTS system not QuTS, so no matter the ticket, open a new one
ArN_Ld
First post

Post by ArN_Ld »

Manfred73 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:46 pm Since updating to QTS h5.0.0.1772 I ran into this issue as well.

First of all, Container Station was no longer working in this firmware version. I had running pi-hole with DHCP enabled on the QNAP, but Container Station and docker failed after the update. Not sure if I should stick to using pi-hole for a DHCP and DNS server on the QNAP if these issues keep appearing with every firmware upgrade (might switch back to DHCP server on the router instead).

Then I also suddenly got these errors about wrong DNS configuration. First I thought it might be related to the above issue that docker was no longer running my pi-hole, so I switched back to DHCP on the router and rebooted both router and QNAP. It was working again, only to find out a day later the connection was lost again. Then I noticed the WAN IP being empty. Only way to get it back is a daily reboot, which takes about 15 minutues (not the fastest).

I'm also running a VPN client on my Router and all traffic from QNAP to the outside should go through the VPN client. After a reboot of the QNAP, the WAN IP being assigned comes from the VPN client. But also without VPN client this issue occurs.

Before the update to h5.0.0.1772 I didn't have these issues. Was it ever fixed or has it been introduced again in this update?

As far as I know I haven't used or configured MYqnapcloud. How to turn this off?
Hello, same problem with QTS v5, not with the QTS h5. Any solution ? Thanks.
rezzo
New here

Post by rezzo »

Manfred73 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:46 pm Since updating to QTS h5.0.0.1772 I ran into this issue as well.

Also same issue, near identical setup except PiHole is only running DNS (DHCP is on router) and VPN client is running via QVPN instead of router. Tried disabling VPN but that didn't work. I ssh'd into my QNAP and could curl by IP but not hostname (WAN connection is up, but DNS is down). dig failed to resolve any hostnames, except interestingly if I specified the IP/port for PiHole running on the QNAP I could resolve hostnames (internal and external). Something is broken internally with QNAP's DNS settings.

From previous digging on this issue, I know QNAP runs dnsmasq as a local DNS forwarding service (/etc/resolv.conf contains 'nameserver 127.0.1.1') and suspect the problem lies somewhere with dnsmasq. Not sure exactly what yet, a couple more reboots and I'm back resolving hostnames with PiHole on my QNAP but very frustrating nonetheless.
Gus19
New here

Post by Gus19 »

Same issue here and stumbled upon this forum post. At first I thought this was an issue with our new fiber (had it for two weeks now) but the first week had no issues. Now after upgrading to QTS 5.0, I can't see the WAN IP after an hour or so. A reboot of the NAS temporarily fixes this, but again in an hour it's gone and I get a DNS can't be resolved.

I have no port forwarding setup (disabled those rules after issues began), disabled VPN and any other virtual switches setup.

Would it be possible to downgrade away from QTS 5.0 back to 4.5?

Ticket opened with QNAP as well and will report back if anything comes about it
Gus19
New here

Post by Gus19 »

Issue was resolved after allowing QNAP support to remote in. Turns out, for reasons unknown, my gateway address was pointing in the wrong direction. Once that was corrected on the network switch interface settings, no more issues.
Manfred73
Starting out

Post by Manfred73 »

I had this issue after updating to QTS Hero 5.0.0.1772 a couple of months ago. Before that, I didn't have any issues.
My Asus router is running Merlin firmware and I have a VPN client setup on the router which routes all outgoing traffic from the NAS through the VPN.
This worked great before updating to QTS 5.0.0.1772. But after updating this issue appeared withouth having changed any settings in the router.
I opened a ticket for this with QNAP.
After reading something about VPN client disconnections on the ASUS router, I changed the setting to unlimited retries if VPN client gets disconnected. That seemd to have helped until now. Now the empty WAN IP is back again and more frequent than before (about every 1 or 2 hours after rebooting the QNAP). QNAP gets kind of unusuable like this.
I'm still not quite convinced it's a router or VPN issue, since all of this started after updating to QTS 5.0.0.1772.
I will open another ticket with QNAP for this.
Groggy
Starting out

Post by Groggy »

Having the same issue with build 5.0.0.1808. Couldn't do updates. Rebooted, saw the WAN IP (finally) so ran an update. Hoping that fixes it.
TS-439 Pro, TS-431, TS-112P, TS-409

Return to “Users' Corner”