Replace bad drive and expand RAID storage

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
salicious69
New here

Replace bad drive and expand RAID storage

Post by salicious69 »

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and generally a novice with NAS. I've searched the forum and got some clues but wanted to double-check to make sure I don't screw anything up.

I have a TS-653 Pro (firmware 4.5.4.1800) with 6x3TB WD Red drives set up in RAID 5. Total capacity is 10.54TB. Its not full but I recently started to get error messages (bad blocks, etc.) on drive 4 consistently. Also with another drive occasionally. So I would like to replace the bad drive. But I also want to increase the size of the storage pool so I managed to get 5x10TB Seagate IronWolf drives at a decent price. My end goal is to have a RAID 5 setup with 4x10TB drives and the fifth as a spare (but open to other suggestions).

I pulled the bad drive out and the NAS recognizes that it's missing but doesn't appear to do anything else. The Storage Pool just shows 5 drives now so I presume the QNAP has already adjusted to the missing drive? If I plug drive 4 back in, it recognizes it but otherwise won't let me do anything with it (like add it back to the storage pool if for some reason I wanted to).

I understand that I need to replace all the drives before I can take advantage of the extra space available. What is the best way to get to my goal? Do I use the replace disk one at a time option for the first 4 disks and then detach the last two?

Thanks in advance.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Replace bad drive and expand RAID storage

Post by dolbyman »

screenshots would help

if you have 2 problematic drives, your rebuild will probably fail..so I hope you have backups

Return to “Users' Corner”