File Managment and Structure, Intro

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
ClareV
Getting the hang of things

File Managment and Structure, Intro

Post by ClareV »

Hello, Just call me the old timer. Still learning new tricks. I don't absorb everything like I did years ago. I used to be in OS development and machine coding, but I'm 70 YO now and don't keep up with all of the aspects of the computer world any more. It changes to much and fast for me now days.
I just bought the TS-653D and installed (3) Ironwolf Pros 14TB. Wanting to create a PLEX Server. I'm struggling with the concept as the file management seems to be quite different from MS File Explorer. I still haven't learned the proper way for me to move my files from my MS File Explorer to my new NAS. I also just bought another 14TB drive from WD RED Pro version and was hoping it will be compatible with my Ironwolf's. And the proper way to expand my Pool/Volume and combine the new drive with my Ironwolf's. So I guess my big question is where can I learn about the file structure differences between MS and the NAS file structure. and how the heck do I move everything out of me MS file system to my NAS?
Any help I get in understanding this new system will be greatly appreciated.
Have a Sparkling Day! :)
dolbyman
Guru

Re: File Managment and Structure, Intro

Post by dolbyman »

Not sure what differences you mean .. you work with shares

Put whatever media files you want in a default or self created share (explained in the manual) and setup the Plex server to use these sources shares (or sub-folders of the shares) as libraries

If you setup the NAS with a redundant RAID (with 3 drives it should be RAID5) then you can add drives later on as you please (RAID expansion is explained in the manual)
ClareV

Post by ClareV »

OK Thanks, I'll read the manual I do have it set up in RAID 5
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Really not complicated, if you have a specific snag in the process, feel free to ask
ClareV

Post by ClareV »

I guess I'm going to have loads of problems. This Manual you refer to where can I get one? my TS-653D didn't come with one. I'm assuming its only available for down load. I can't find it only something called QTS and I don't even know what that is.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

here is the online version of the manual

https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/qts/4.5.x/en-us/

here is a deep link to the shared folder management

https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/ ... 939C3.html
ClareV

Post by ClareV »

I'm watching a QTS video on youtube now, hopefully this will light up some rooms and help me understand whats going on. and how to manipulate my data.
ClareV

Post by ClareV »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:38 am here is the online version of the manual

https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/qts/4.5.x/en-us/

here is a deep link to the shared folder management

https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/ ... 939C3.html
Thanks, that's where I need help. It'll take me at least through tomorrow to absorb this.
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

For the Plex server I would create a storage pool with raid 0 for maximum space (note that if one drive fails you will lose all of your data so backup anything important). I use 5 drives in a raid 0 (again for maximum space as I can always rip / download the movies again.
On the storage pool I have a single share called media. Inside that share I have a folder for movies, TV shows and music (so 3 folders).
Inside each folder I have sub folders by movie/tv show/artists.
Plex is fairly easy to setup.
Keep in mind the warning that raid 0 provides NO protection from drive failure, loose a drive loose everything.
For my VMs and other data I use a mix of different raids to protect my data from drive lose. But with Plex I focus on speed and storage space.

Hope this helps some…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ClareV

Post by ClareV »

Cbrad01 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:04 am For the Plex server I would create a storage pool with raid 0 for maximum space (note that if one drive fails you will lose all of your data so backup anything important). I use 5 drives in a raid 0 (again for maximum space as I can always rip / download the movies again.
On the storage pool I have a single share called media. Inside that share I have a folder for movies, TV shows and music (so 3 folders).
Inside each folder I have sub folders by movie/tv show/artists.
Plex is fairly easy to setup.
Keep in mind the warning that raid 0 provides NO protection from drive failure, loose a drive loose everything.
For my VMs and other data I use a mix of different raids to protect my data from drive lose. But with Plex I focus on speed and storage space.

Hope this helps some…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'm still at ground zero. I haven't figured out how to move my data from my File Explorer to my NAS yet I will always use RAID 5 for redundancy My NAS is six bay and I've to this point only installed 3 14TB pro drives. I will have another one in less than a week. (Black Friday Purchase) So I shouldn't have to worry for the rest of my life for space. But I just don't understand how to get my files onto my NAS I don't understand this sharing yet either but I've got some places to read about it now. I just don't have a grasp on this NAS yet. But after spending $2100+ I've got to learn. My 70 YO mind doesn't stay focused like it used to. It's like I need a (in a nut shell...)
I guess I'm just a Drag and Drop or Copy Paste kind of guy.
At this point I don't think I need to worry about sharing as I only going to serve my self. Eventually I'll need to learn about sharing as I will allow my three sons access but only after I learn how to avoid ransom ware. Not sure how sharing works and if I'll need it for just myself.
I wish I could find a local guru to come to my home and help set me up.
ClareV

Post by ClareV »

OK, I've learned how to move my files to my NAS but I had to use Google Chrome as Firefox won't work. I've also learned how to create folders and move folders. Still not sure if sharing will be an issue for me if I'm not sharing. But also don't know even if I'm the only user if I still need to share to myself.
Also wondering if I should mirror the file structure I had in File Explorer. i.e. TV Shows... Movies... Pictures...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you dont use a web browser to uoload files to your NAS (you can ..but thats not the correct usage)

mount a share to your computer...google

"mount smb share to [windows or mac whatever you have]"

in plex you setup libaries (movies/tv shows/ music/etc) and point them to wherever your files are stored on the nas
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

ClareV wrote:OK, I've learned how to move my files to my NAS but I had to use Google Chrome as Firefox won't work. I've also learned how to create folders and move folders. Still not sure if sharing will be an issue for me if I'm not sharing. But also don't know even if I'm the only user if I still need to share to myself.
Also wondering if I should mirror the file structure I had in File Explorer. i.e. TV Shows... Movies... Pictures...
When you create a shared folder on the NAS you then can map that share as a network drive on your computer. Assuming your using windows the NAS should show up in your file explorer. Double click in the NAS and it should show the shares, double click on the share and you should be inside the shared folder. Then just drag your files over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ClareV

Post by ClareV »

OK, I agree the way I was doing it wasn't good and very tedious. I've never done a share before so I've got some research to do now and reading.
Update: I did a reset last night and I'm going to start over.
I'm thinking one storage pool is enough and two volumes. One volume for apps and one for my PLEX Data.
If anyone has suggestions for my PLEX Server please let me know. I'm now resetting back to factory settings.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I would keep it even simpler...just do one volume..no need for two (sepperation is done via shares)

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”