QuTS Hero now available for TVS-x72XT Series

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
deanlm
First post

Re: QuTS Hero now available for TVS-x72XT Series

Post by deanlm »

I got QuTS Hero installed and working on a brand new TVS-872XT after a few attempts (on 11/30/2021). I watched a few videos that showed the install screen with an option to switch to QuTS Hero. Mine did not show me that. When I launched the NAS from Qfinder Pro there was only a SmartInstaller button which I ran and that installed QuTS (not the Hero version). I then tried to download the firmware version for QuTS Hero from the QNAP downloads page and use Qfinder to update the firmware with that version. The first time it locked up at 32%. I tried again and it locked up at 42%.

I finally got QuTS Hero installed by going to the running QuTS webpage and went to control Panel>Backup/Rstore>RestoretoFactoryDefaults>ReinitializeNAS

That reset everything in the NAS back to factory settings removing the running QuTS installation. I then was able to go back to Qfinder and right click on the NAS and do a firmware update using the downloaded file for QuTS Hero from the downloads page (h5.0.0.1856 build 20211117).

For anyone doing this on a new NAS I would recommend trying to do the firmware update with the QuTS Hero firmware before ever logging into the NAS to see if you can skip the failed attempts I had above.

There is a slight chance my initial attempts at firmware updates locked up due to a corrupted file. On my last attempt after reinitializing the NAS I checked the MD5 sum they posted on the download site to make sure the file was not corrupted.
NTUNS
New here

Post by NTUNS »

Akimov wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:11 pm ...
Anyway the firmware recognizes my NAS as TVS-472XT only when Thunderbolt add-on card is installed.
History snippet: I have swapped Tunderbolt add-on card with GPU the same day I bought TVS-472XT NAS about two years ago and used it primarily as a Plex server ever since.
Akimov, could you please take a look at your Thunderbolt card and let me know the brand+model?
Maybe make some pictures of it on both sides?

I'd like to get one in my TVS-672X but I do not know which one will work best (essentially making it an XT model)
Thank you very much!
Ripsnort
New here

Post by Ripsnort »

deanlm wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:20 am I got QuTS Hero installed and working on a brand new TVS-872XT after a few attempts (on 11/30/2021). I watched a few videos that showed the install screen with an option to switch to QuTS Hero. Mine did not show me that. When I launched the NAS from Qfinder Pro there was only a SmartInstaller button which I ran and that installed QuTS (not the Hero version). I then tried to download the firmware version for QuTS Hero from the QNAP downloads page and use Qfinder to update the firmware with that version. The first time it locked up at 32%. I tried again and it locked up at 42%.

I finally got QuTS Hero installed by going to the running QuTS webpage and went to control Panel>Backup/Rstore>RestoretoFactoryDefaults>ReinitializeNAS

That reset everything in the NAS back to factory settings removing the running QuTS installation. I then was able to go back to Qfinder and right click on the NAS and do a firmware update using the downloaded file for QuTS Hero from the downloads page (h5.0.0.1856 build 20211117).

For anyone doing this on a new NAS I would recommend trying to do the firmware update with the QuTS Hero firmware before ever logging into the NAS to see if you can skip the failed attempts I had above.

There is a slight chance my initial attempts at firmware updates locked up due to a corrupted file. On my last attempt after reinitializing the NAS I checked the MD5 sum they posted on the download site to make sure the file was not corrupted.
Thanks for sharing this information "deanlm". I'm contemplating on switching to QuTS Hero firmware and the ZFS file structure. I also have the TVS-872XT which is currently in use and running the latest QTS firmware. Does anyone have a good setup guide or how to on switching over to the QuTS Hero firmware and operating system? ZFS file system seems like a much better long term storage option.
TeePee3NAS
Starting out

Post by TeePee3NAS »

Ripsnort wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:03 am
Does anyone have a good setup guide or how to on switching over to the QuTS Hero firmware and operating system?
That's a good question. Does anyone know where I can find a good guide for switching from QTS to QuTS Hero?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Only way to switch is to wipe and start over..no guide needed

topic closed to prevent further necropostings

Return to “Users' Corner”