TVS-472XT-PT-4G-US with 4 Sansung 1TB SSD

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Georady
New here

TVS-472XT-PT-4G-US with 4 Sansung 1TB SSD

Post by Georady »

Okay, I got the QNAP TVS-472XT-PT-4G-US 4 Bay Thunderbolt 3 NAS with 4GB RAM, 10GbE, M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD slots - now one question - can I setup RAID 10 (aka 1 plus 0) using four Samsung SSD 1TB drives??? Or RAID 5 or???

Need to offload Video Editing from my (new 2018) MacBook. Pro so I can use FCPX and keep the video/rendering off the laptop’s SSD. Need to speed and enuff resiliency to recover from a drive failure... but will be backing up to another Extetnal to rebuild the RAID and the Cloud for remote.
Georady
New here

Re: TVS-472XT-PT-4G-US with 4 Sansung 1TB SSD

Post by Georady »

NOTE: Once Nikon and Atomos work out the firmware update for the Z6 and Ninja V - then I plan to be editing ProRes 4K RAW hence the need for a dedicated NAS to process those large file
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

from my experience, you will not see any increase from your SSD Cache, and I don't have the experience with Qtier, so I can't answer you accurately on this.
I am also confused - do you have no SATA drives, and only four Samsung EVO 860 SSD's for the main drive slots ? You should setup a RAID 5. I can tell you that four 7200 RPM SATA drives limit your bandwidth (you should be using 8 - no different than a Promise Pegasus R8 or G-Tech Studio XL. But with four SSDs, you may be ok. I am curious to see your results. Are you connecting via Thunderbolt 3 or 10G on the TVS-472XT ?

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

This is a temporary update. I just finished building a TS-872XT with all Samsung EVO 860 4TB drives. I did the usual AJA/Blackmagic speed tests with 10G interface, but it has not been tested in REAL LIFE with real applications (like Premiere) - I will know the answer early next week, when my client is actually using it. I have 10% SSD Over provisioning set up. Will this make a difference ? I have no idea. But we will find out soon !

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
storageraider2021
New here

Post by storageraider2021 »

Bob, did you ever find out the result for this setup?

Return to “Users' Corner”