File Managment and Structure, Intro

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
ClareV
Getting the hang of things

Re: File Managment and Structure, Intro

Post by ClareV »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:42 pm I would keep it even simpler...just do one volume..no need for two (sepperation is done via shares)
Thanks dolbyman for the tip. You caught me while my drives are still initializing.
ClareV

Post by ClareV »

BTW I'll use RAID 5 again, My forth drive is delayed and won't be here for 7 days. That'll give me (4) 14TB drives.
Should I worry about extra space above the volume for snapshots? How much should I allocate for the volume?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I wouldnt bother with snapshots at all, it's a Plex server ..right ?
ClareV

Post by ClareV »

Thanks dolbyman advice taken. Now I'm having trouble starting my network shared folder. I think I know the problem but don't know how to fix it.
When browsing for my shared folder it comes back and wants credentials. I'm not allowed to enter the username. it's admin but it's coming back with my static IP address in that field. Which may mean I did something wrong on the QNAP end when I created the shared folder. Any ideas?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

So you probably have credential storage issues .. (stored credentials for the share from the old NAS do not match credentials for the new setup)

Clear your credentials and try again
ClareV

Post by ClareV »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:21 am So you probably have credential storage issues .. (stored credentials for the share from the old NAS do not match credentials for the new setup)

Clear your credentials and try again
I just pushed the reset for three seconds and heard the customary beep.
Will it automatically take me to where I have to reset the password? and it says admin will be the default ID.

Something is wrong when it searched out my credentials it put the wrong numbers in my url. 192.168.1.236 which isn't my static numbers I originally set. the last set of numbers is supposed to be xx and it isn't.
Last edited by ClareV on Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the reset button is to reset the device if you forgot the password or messed up other settings

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/knowl ... -explained
ClareV

Post by ClareV »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:06 am the reset button is to reset the device if you forgot the password or messed up other settings

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/knowl ... -explained
Yes the password was reset but it forced me to use the MAC address minus the special characters.
OK just tried it and when it asked me to enter my credentials it still had my static address in the ID uneditablt field. So my hard reset didn't reset my credentials.
After further reading it looks like I need a 10 second reset.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

a 10 second reset for what ? .. if you want to start from scratch you take out all drives , clear them and reinsert them (the reset button is not used for that)

But you said you had trouble mounting the shares of the NAS, that would be AFTER you have reset and resetup the NAS, not now

What to do:

- Shut the NAS down
- Take out and erase all drives
- Insert the disks and start the NAS
- Setup the NAS to your liking (including shares, apps ,etc)
- Put the data on the NAS
- Setup Plex to index libraries from the shares/folders you uploaded your data to
- Done
ClareV

Post by ClareV »

This is the link you sent me.
1. Three second press and hold of the reset button

Please refer to the picture above and hold the reset button for 3 seconds. You will hear a beep to let you know the reset has been successful.

Your data will not be deleted, but the following settings will be reset:

Password for the admin account will be changed to the default "admin". Please refer to the following article if you are still not able to log in to QTS with the default admin/admin login after this.
TCP/IP configuration: Obtain IP address settings automatically via DHCP.
TCP/IP configuration: Disable Jumbo Frame.
TCP/IP configuration: If port trunking is enabled (dual LAN models only), the port trunking mode will be reset to “Active Backup (Failover)”.
System port: 8080 (system service port).
Security level: Low (Allow all connections).
VLAN will be disabled
Service binding: All NAS services run on all available network interfaces.

2. Ten second press and hold of the reset button

Please refer to the picture above and hold the reset button for 10 seconds. You will hear two beeps, one at 3 seconds and one at 10 seconds to let you know the reset has been successful.

In this case all settings including users and groups as well as shared folders will be removed. Your data on the drives will not be deleted. To retrieve the old data after advanced system reset you need to create the same network shares on the NAS and the data will be accessible again.
ClareV

Post by ClareV »

I just called a local computer shop and asked for help (Defiance, OH) Sounds like Tuesday the 7th he can come out.
ClareV

Post by ClareV »

Thanks for all your help trying to get me up and running.
ClareV

Post by ClareV »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:01 am a 10 second reset for what ? .. if you want to start from scratch you take out all drives , clear them and reinsert them (the reset button is not used for that)

But you said you had trouble mounting the shares of the NAS, that would be AFTER you have reset and resetup the NAS, not now

What to do:

- Shut the NAS down
- Take out and erase all drives
- Insert the disks and start the NAS
- Setup the NAS to your liking (including shares, apps ,etc)
- Put the data on the NAS
- Setup Plex to index libraries from the shares/folders you uploaded your data to
- Done
You make it sound easy but I've had a three day headache and stressed out. My cortisol must be spiking. Thanks for trying to get me up but my abilities aren't what they used to be. :ashamed:
:)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

It's pretty easy actually .. be prepared for the computer guy (local shop?) to have no clue and a hefty price tag.

You should just start from scratch with a different raid config .. you already did it once ..
ClareV

Post by ClareV »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:06 am It's pretty easy actually .. be prepared for the computer guy (local shop?) to have no clue and a hefty price tag.

You should just start from scratch with a different raid config .. you already did it once ..
I'm going to try, he won't call me until Monday to schedule for Tuesday. I've removed the first NAS drive and put it in my turtle and it doesn't show up as a drive and I can't even remember where to go see all drives whether their formatted or not. this was back in the 80's and 90's when I was on top of this stuff. Things have changed an incredible amount. But I've still got some PC savvy. I think I've got to format the NAS drives to find them and clear them. if not how do I clean them to start the process over again?

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”