[RANSOMWARE] >>READ 1st Post<< Deadbolt

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Vogstar
Starting out

Re: Deadbolt ransomware

Post by Vogstar »

So If you even pay the ransome how do you get the key there is no email attached to the request.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

apparently the key is part of the blockchain transaction that you get a reply to the payment

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comme ... &context=3
Last edited by dolbyman on Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
nadim23@hotmail.com
First post

Post by nadim23@hotmail.com »

Deadbolt_QNAP.JPG
This also happened to me today...
I will contact QNAP and SEAGate to see what can I do but I'm fAngry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vogstar
Starting out

Post by Vogstar »

I have no choice but to pay. I’ll let you guys know what happens
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

nadim23@hotmail.com wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:21 am Deadbolt_QNAP.JPGThis also happened to me today...
where does seagate come into play here ?
jaysona
Been there, done that

Post by jaysona »

nadim23@hotmail.com wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:21 am Deadbolt_QNAP.JPGThis also happened to me today...
Da.mn! It looks like this malware replaces some of the QNAP web-admin page too. Clearly some thought and sophistication were out in to this one.

I wonder if the malware has its own thttpd server? I almost wish I had a spare sacrificial NAS just to explore the code.
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-871 (i7-4790. 16GB) (Plex server) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6604T (8GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
jaysona
Been there, done that

Post by jaysona »

For those that found this thread via search engine, but do not have a forum account, here are the images reference on the first page of this thread.

Apparent message to QNAP Inc. from DEADBOLT

Ransomware message displayed on compromised NAS.
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-871 (i7-4790. 16GB) (Plex server) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6604T (8GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
skaox
New here

Post by skaox »

I don't know why but the little b@stard didn't had time to crypt anything.

If you want to have access to your NAS just connect to ssh with admin account (or root if you have Entware-alt installed and admin disabled) :

cd /home/httpd/
mv index.html index.html_deadlock
mv index.html.bak index.html

Now you can access again to the administration panel ;-)

The index.html start like that :

#!/bin/sh
echo "Content-Type: text/html"
echo ""
get_value () {
echo "$1" | awk -F "${2}=" '{ print $2 }' | awk -F '&' '{ print $1 }'
}
not_running() { echo '{"status":"not_running"}'; exit; }

PID_FILENAME=/tmp/deadbolt.pid
STATUS_FILENAME=/tmp/deadbolt.status
FINISH_FILENAME=/tmp/deadbolt.finish
TOOL=/mnt/HDA_ROOT/27855
CRYPTDIR=/share

In process list you should have a few (5-6) process related to /mnt/HDA_ROOT/27855 -> kill them
I've launched a scan with Malware Remover but nothing was found.
I didn't reboot the NAS for the moment and I'm searching if there is more.

When opening QuLog Center you will have a message :
You must configure the destination volume for storing logs before enabling this feature.
Go to Log Settings to configure the destination volume of the event logs.

In Log Settings, Event and Access Log Destination will be empty.

I can't rename, delete or move 27855 (ELF packed with UPX) and nothing in /etc/config/crontab.

To be continue ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
okenny
Easy as a breeze

Post by okenny »

What is the consensus.....Is it good enough to disable port forwarding, disable qnap cloud and disable upnp?
Do I need to place the NAS on a VLAN without any WAN access too? I was hesitant to do this, as it's a pain in the a to run the NAS on a separate VLAN.

I am going to start building a freenas server I think, I'm sick of this.
QNAP TVS-1282-i7-7700K-40G with Corsiar H5 SF watercooling, 3x 80mm PWM Noctua fans, 1x 60mm PWM Noctua fan, Corsair SF450 PSU
QNAP TVS-872XT i9-9900k 64GB, Noctua Cooler
TS-653B 16GB
pofjybkh
New here

Post by pofjybkh »

skaox wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:49 am I don't know why but the little b@stard didn't had time to crypt anything.

If you want to have access to your NAS just connect to ssh with admin account (or root if you have Entware-alt installed and admin disabled) :

cd /home/httpd/
mv index.html index.html_deadlock
mv index.html.bak index.html

Now you can access again to the administration panel ;-)

The index.html start like that :

#!/bin/sh
echo "Content-Type: text/html"
echo ""
get_value () {
echo "$1" | awk -F "${2}=" '{ print $2 }' | awk -F '&' '{ print $1 }'
}
not_running() { echo '{"status":"not_running"}'; exit; }

PID_FILENAME=/tmp/deadbolt.pid
STATUS_FILENAME=/tmp/deadbolt.status
FINISH_FILENAME=/tmp/deadbolt.finish
TOOL=/mnt/HDA_ROOT/27855
CRYPTDIR=/share

In process list you should have a few (5-6) process related to /mnt/HDA_ROOT/27855 -> kill them
I've launched a scan with Malware Remover but nothing was found.
I didn't reboot the NAS for the moment and I'm searching if there is more.

When opening QuLog Center you will have a message :
You must configure the destination volume for storing logs before enabling this feature.
Go to Log Settings to configure the destination volume of the event logs.

In Log Settings, Event and Access Log Destination will be empty.

I can't rename, delete or move 27855 (ELF packed with UPX) and nothing in /etc/config/crontab.

To be continue ;-)
Mine was called 31888 (so the name is random), but I compared the content of mine with yours and they are identical.

Also, if it helps with your investigation, the initial payload seems to come from /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/SDDPd.bin (this name might also be random), which writes the index.html, but neither of them actually starts the encryption process, so that's still unclear.

I powered-off mine as soon as I noticed, so I only lost a few files, but this way I lost the option of doing the 7z log trick.
I'll power it on again tomorrow with only one of the disks in and maybe the process will start again...
luckydekko
New here

Post by luckydekko »

I just found out a few hours ago that I have this Deadbolt encryption, and honestly thought it was a joke. I have no idea where to start with this and from what I have read it sounds like logging in an trying to salvage is above my paygrade. Did Qnap ever pay one of these? It seems like there's definitely a problem with the software and I am surprised I haven't seen much about this online.

Is there a simple way to login? I keep seeing ssh but not sure the steps, is there a write up on this?

Do they have access to files or does this just encrypt it?
Chadw1701a
New here

Re: [RANSOMWARE] Deadbolt

Post by Chadw1701a »

My qnap has also been infected. Only one volume was encrypted though so I shut it down and pulled the other drives for now. What a mess
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

As the system is on all disks, don't be too sure that these are safe when plugged back into a NAS, the ransomware might start right back up and use the next available volume
Chadw1701a
New here

Post by Chadw1701a »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:56 am As the system is on all disks, don't be too sure that these are safe when plugged back into a NAS, the ransomware might start right back up and use the next available volume
Ugh. So much data lost. I did reboot without the other drives and so far the deadbolt script isn't running as far as I can tell. Nope, it did replace the index.html file again. The encryption script doesn't seem to be running though.
Last edited by Chadw1701a on Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hardware: TS-653A
brycem
New here

Post by brycem »

okenny wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:58 am What is the consensus.....Is it good enough to disable port forwarding, disable qnap cloud and disable upnp?
Do I need to place the NAS on a VLAN without any WAN access too? I was hesitant to do this, as it's a pain in the a to run the NAS on a separate VLAN.

I am going to start building a freenas server I think, I'm sick of this.
I haven't seen any kind of analysis of Deadbolt yet - We don't yet know it affects fully patched machines and is in fact a 0-day as they claim. We don't yet know the attack vector. We don't yet know if it infects the DOM nor whether a factory reset can clear it, nor whether any further rootkits have been opportunistically squirreled away elsewhere on your LAN. We haven't yet even seen any reports that dealing with these terrorists (sending the mofos their requested 0.03 BTC) even results in the receipt of a key to decrypt the data.

Disable port-forwards and UPnP should be considered a bare minimum at this point.

Return to “Users' Corner”