[RANSOMWARE] >>READ 1st Post<< Deadbolt

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
OneCD
Guru

Re: [RANSOMWARE] Deadbolt

Post by OneCD »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:32 am
millercentral wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:28 am While pulling the NAS offline is the best defense, I wonder based on what has been learned if there would be value/peace of mind if a shell script expert could create a script that could monitor for the random file being added to /MNT/HDA_ROOT and immediately kill it/delete it if discovered?
Why bother? .. how about not forwarding ports to your NAS ? .. How difficult is this to follow ?
I must agree. Creating a monitoring script would only encourage users to leave their NAS exposed - a bad idea. :?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Comy86
Starting out

Post by Comy86 »

Immediately after i saw that the nas has been infected, i shut it down, disconnect it from the internet and deactivated the PF on 8080, 443 and disabled UPNP in router.

Now, i was ready to pay the ransom but the lock screen doesn t show up.
Anybody ran into this?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I don't know how that deadbolt login/ransom page works, but if it needs web access to work, then disconnecting the NAS from the web could be counterproductive.

One would need to see the source-code of that page
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

OneCD wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:27 am I'm surprised no-one has mentioned a class-action lawsuit yet (whoops, just mentioned it). It's usually one of the first things suggested when a malware campaign begins. :DD
Yup .. that normally happens every time (was it half a dozen large malware campaigns in the last 2-3 years?) .. anyone ever heard of successful lawsuits/arbitration ?
Comy86
Starting out

Post by Comy86 »

I connected everything and it didn t work until I added /index.html after the IP
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:45 am .. anyone ever heard of successful lawsuits/arbitration ?
Nope, but I've also never heard of a group bringing a suit against a company in these circumstances. Then again, I'm not a lawyer so that could be why I've never heard of one. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Comy86
Starting out

Post by Comy86 »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

still wondering about the code of that login page .. what is the decryption invoking ? a custom script ? 7z ?
igoramadas
New here

Post by igoramadas »

Has anyone found anything out about the attack vector yet?

My NAS is (more or less) exposed to the internet. I didn't buy it for backups, I bought it to be my do-it-all private cloud with Plex, photo sharing, home assistant, VPN etc, so "taking it offline" sounds a bit ridiculous as a long term solution.

It has Qfirewall and sits behind a reverse proxy running on a rasp pi, which itself runs behind a Unifi Dream Machine. There are very specific rules set on the Unifi firewall, as well as in Qfirewall - only specific IP ranges from my ISP and mobile operator should have access. So if the attack vector is the administration web page, then I'm more or less fine with it as to be able to find me they would need to scan from the whitelisted IP ranges and know the exact hostname for the admin page.

Now if they're using HBS3 again or QVPN to gain access, then I might be in trouble. I have many many HBS jobs to many types of targets, and QVPN is reachable with a more relaxed Geo restriction.

AgeLocker, Qlocker, eCh0raix, now deadbolt. This is getting very worrisome.
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

OneCD wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:51 am
dolbyman wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:45 am .. anyone ever heard of successful lawsuits/arbitration ?
Nope, but I've also never heard of a group bringing a suit against a company in these circumstances. Then again, I'm not a lawyer so that could be why I've never heard of one. ;)
there is no legal basis, simply. It doesn't matter if they demand 10 or 10,000. Every system is vulnerable, it is practically impossible to hold responsible or sue a company because its software has security flaws. In the history of the Internet we have seen infinitely more sophisticated attacks and affecting a huge number including multinationals, governments... unless it could be shown that the company created a backdoor with malicious arts, there would be no case at all. If a company could be sued because programmers are human and it is totally impossible to create perfect software, programmers would not exist.

Regardless of all the affected users (which I understand is a big problem for them), this happens 24/7. Any device exposed to the Internet will be constantly bombarded with all kinds of "noise" produced by careless users, botnets, hackers, security experts... The vast majority of said noise is harmless, even malicious traffic is usually old and ineffective today in most cases. But as is natural when a "juicy" xploit appears, things get complicated and there is real danger. Almost all of these attacks are completely indiscriminate, they do not look for specific targets, they simply analyze the Internet in search of specific ports used by the service they want to attack, most of the time they do not even "search", they simply try.

This is the reason why exposing any application/service to the Internet on its default ports is the greatest recklessness that a home user can commit, be it a NAS, a Web Server/VPN/Telnet/SSH/FTP..., it is like putting a luminous sign on the door of the house so that the noise of the Internet reaches. upnp greatly enhances this, since if the listening ports are not correctly changed and all the services that are not really used are disabled, it can expose a large number of services to the Internet, and the more services exposed, potentially more services / applications vulnerable can be reached.
millercentral wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:28 am While pulling the NAS offline is the best defense, I wonder based on what has been learned if there would be value/peace of mind if a shell script expert could create a script that could monitor for the random file being added to /MNT/HDA_ROOT and immediately kill it/delete it if discovered?
It is not complex at all to create a small script to completely stop the attack, even to cut off communication with the attackers as soon as it is detected, without even allowing them to download or execute code on our NAS. The problem is that in order to solve all this, it is necessary to be able to "infect" yourself with the malware in a controlled environment, and in this way know what the attack vector is, affected services, networks from which the attacks are being carried out. .. until a real infection is caught and can be studied, everything else counts for little. At this point, a quick and simple solution could be launched to be protected while the bug involved is resolved by QNAP
ast_san
First post

Post by ast_san »

Comy86 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:56 am another "happy customer"
https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/ ... yvd6caneul
And it worked? were you able to retrieve the information?
Plecotus
Starting out

Re: [Ransomware] .deadbolt Jan 25th, 2022

Post by Plecotus »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:28 am Never ever expose ANY QNAP service to WAN
How do I still use QFile to access my QNAP remotely if not by exposing at least one (not the default 443!) port to the Internet? Genuine question. Looking to learn here.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Plecotus wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:56 am How do I still use QFile to access my QNAP remotely if not by exposing at least one (not the default 443!) port to the Internet? Genuine question. Looking to learn here.
A VPN server that is running on your router or a dedicated appliance (e.g. raspi) .. that has been mentioned in this thread at least a dozen times now
yemartin
New here

Post by yemartin »

Plecotus wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:56 am How do I still use QFile to access my QNAP remotely if not by exposing at least one (not the default 443!) port to the Internet? Genuine question. Looking to learn here.
There are several choices:

1) You don't. I mean: reevaluate your use of QNAP to access files remotely. If it is just a small convenience, maybe it is not worth the risk.
2) You understand the risk but have have money to burn and don't mind paying ransoms (risky: unlocking may not always be an option).
3) You understand the risk but your data is disposable so you don't mind loosing it.
4) You understand the risk but have a solid backup strategy, and don't mind restoring from backups when needed.
5) You only access your QNAP through a VPN. This allows remote access without exposing the NAS to the open Internet.

PS: as others mentioned, for 5), do not use the VPN from the NAS itself, given the poor track record of QNAP regarding security. Use the VPN from your router, or a dedicated appliance.
darcon
Starting out

Post by darcon »

As others have said, use a VPN. I have run WireGuard on a Raspberry Pi before without issue. There are a few guides around the internet that walk you through the setup process. WireGuard has apps for Android, Apple (I assume), PC, Linux, and Mac, so you can use it on pretty much everything.

Return to “Users' Corner”