[RANSOMWARE] >>READ 1st Post<< Deadbolt

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
nimblefinger5
New here

Re: [RANSOMWARE] Deadbolt

Post by nimblefinger5 »

domanm wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:24 am Recently, such addresses appear in VPN logs
91.191.209.234, 91.191.209.235, 91.191.209.236, 78.128.113.68, 78.128.113.67, 78.128.113.66, 78.128.113.70, 80.66.88.60
These addresses include attempts to log in to random users, recorded in the logs as "login failed".
It wouldn't be surprising, but every now and then I see a pppd process on my system with a connection set up for these addresses. This is confirmed by the netstat command.

For example, IP 78.128.113.68 in logs (login attempt on January 19)
log.png

The same IP address is visible on another day in the processes (January 20)
ps.png

and in netstaton on January 20
netstat.png

Login attempts do not coincide with pppd sessions (sometimes they are one day earlier and sometimes later).
Jednak w ostatnich kilku tygodniach nawiązywane sa płączenia z serweram z usługą pppd, która ma uprawnienia roota.
that last ip 80.66.88.60 comes up with some strange stuff
https://myip.ms/view/ip_owners/1177741/ ... honko.html

these are in bulgaria 78.128.113.68, 78.128.113.67, 78.128.113.66, 78.128.113.70
and these 91.191.209.234, 91.191.209.235 belong to L&L Investment Ltd
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

Centaurx wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:11 am hello everyone.

i got the ransware too.
I noticed that the files are not really encrypted.
If you rename the file with the original extension it comes back as before.
Es.

file.jpg.deadbolt
rename
File.jpg
the file opens normally

I know, it sounds stupid but it works.
Has anyone else tried this? And did it work for them?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

That's why a PPTP is outdated and should be considered breached.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to- ... l#Security

Only use VPN's with certs in addition to User/Pass auth (e.g. Ovpn)
krzychos7
New here

Post by krzychos7 »

Comy86 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:24 am
krzychos7 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:40 am
Comy86 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:04 am I've decided to pay the ransom. I know that's not how we should deal with this kind of situations, but I have no choice, the information that I had is essential. Unfortunately, it's a hard-learned lesson.
I'll let you know how it goes.
After it will decrypt the files, I'll copy them on another HDD and then deal with the NAS and the NAS HDD's (while I'll keep the NAS disconnected from the internet)
After this, I'll come back and ask advices on how to protect&back-up my NAS
Did you recive valid key?
Tell more. Let me know if it was possible to decrypt it, or whether the swindlers.
Yes, i've received a valid key
I've managed to decrypt 7746 files before QNAP forced an update and I couldn't stop it. After update, i searched for files with the extension *.deadbolt and found 10234 files, but my luck is that out of all of those, 9606 files i can copy from the server at work, 527 files we're in the Recycle folder (so old files) and another 101 files that don't have much value. I managed to recover the essential.

Regarding the steps i took, you can follow this steps
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... try5313557

I paid with coinbase. Be sure to have more than just 0.03 btc, otherwise the commission for the transaction will be deducted from the sum you are paying (0.03 btc)
So, to recover all files, it is better to cut off the internet from the local network so that Qnap does not update automatically, yes ?.
Centaurx
New here

Post by Centaurx »

QNAPDanielFL wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:43 am

i got the ransware too.
Es.

file.jpg.deadbolt
rename
File.jpg
the file opens normally

In my case I was copying my files from the NAS to Dropbox.
Using the dropbox copy and renaming it, I can open all the .deadbolt files.
Now my NAS is offline but tomorrow I would like to try to do the same thing on the files still there.

I hope this will work for you guys as well.

My attack happened on Feb 25th after the automatic firmware update.
Comy86
Starting out

Post by Comy86 »

krzychos7 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:03 am
Comy86 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:24 am
krzychos7 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:40 am
Comy86 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:04 am I've decided to pay the ransom. I know that's not how we should deal with this kind of situations, but I have no choice, the information that I had is essential. Unfortunately, it's a hard-learned lesson.
I'll let you know how it goes.
After it will decrypt the files, I'll copy them on another HDD and then deal with the NAS and the NAS HDD's (while I'll keep the NAS disconnected from the internet)
After this, I'll come back and ask advices on how to protect&back-up my NAS
Did you recive valid key?
Tell more. Let me know if it was possible to decrypt it, or whether the swindlers.
Yes, i've received a valid key
I've managed to decrypt 7746 files before QNAP forced an update and I couldn't stop it. After update, i searched for files with the extension *.deadbolt and found 10234 files, but my luck is that out of all of those, 9606 files i can copy from the server at work, 527 files we're in the Recycle folder (so old files) and another 101 files that don't have much value. I managed to recover the essential.

Regarding the steps i took, you can follow this steps
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... try5313557

I paid with coinbase. Be sure to have more than just 0.03 btc, otherwise the commission for the transaction will be deducted from the sum you are paying (0.03 btc)
So, to recover all files, it is better to cut off the internet from the local network so that Qnap does not update automatically, yes ?.
Yes

Also, if you're unable to see the lockscreen, try to add index.html after the ip of the NAS (which can be found in QFinder)
example:
192.168.1.1:8080/index.html
Plecotus
Starting out

Re: [Ransomware] .deadbolt Jan 25th, 2022

Post by Plecotus »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:59 am A VPN server that is running on your router or a dedicated appliance (e.g. raspi) .. that has been mentioned in this thread at least a dozen times now
I've been reading this thread chronologically. I quoted a comment from page 1 or 2, as I read it. I've now made it to page 16. Sorry to be such a nuisance :roll:
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

krzychos7 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:03 am So, to recover all files, it is better to cut off the internet from the local network so that Qnap does not update automatically, yes ?.
Another idea would be to simply disable auto update of the firmware...
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
star1007
First post

Post by star1007 »

i got the ransware too.
Es.

file.jpg.deadbolt
rename
File.jpg
the file opens normally

It did not work for me. Have you tried it by yourself? I am sure the attackers are not that dumb.
Plecotus
Starting out

Post by Plecotus »

yemartin wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:16 am 5) You only access your QNAP through a VPN. This allows remote access without exposing the NAS to the open Internet.
My use case is having a number of independent sales contractors (about 50 of them) needing to view and (more importantly) upload files from their tablets and smartphones while in the field.
Qfile works like a charm for this particular purpose and I'm not sure how I'd accomplish a similar user-friendly (none of them are very tech savvy) experience with VPN. Having to first connect VPN on their iPad's, iPhone's or Android before then using Qfile is going to be off-putting for the majority of these guys.

Qfile (SSL enabled) can be setup to use any other but the default 443 HTTPS port, eg port 19443. Would that somewhat mitigate the risk/exposure against threats/exploits like these while still benefiting from the ease-of-use that Qfile natively offers? :?:
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

yemartin wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:16 am 1) You don't. I mean: reevaluate your use of QNAP to access files remotely. If it is just a small convenience, maybe it is not worth the risk.
2) You understand the risk but have have money to burn and don't mind paying ransoms (risky: unlocking may not always be an option).
3) You understand the risk but your data is disposable so you don't mind loosing it.
4) You understand the risk but have a solid backup strategy, and don't mind restoring from backups when needed.
5) You only access your QNAP through a VPN. This allows remote access without exposing the NAS to the open Internet.
OMG!

In my opinion only 1 and 5 are valid options.

2-4 are hugely irresponsible and I'm surprised to see anyone even suggest them. It's not only the data on the NAS that is at stake. Every time criminals own the system they can do anything. The criminals could plant a trojan on the NAS, they could use it as a relay in further criminal activities, they could use it as a foothold to attack other systems like the backups, a work laptop (so suddenly you're giving the intruder a foothold into your employers network), surveillance cameras to spy on you or anything else in the network.

This is true madness!
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Plecotus wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:07 am Qfile (SSL enabled) can be setup to use any other but the default 443 HTTPS port, eg port 19443. Would that somewhat mitigate the risk/exposure against threats/exploits like these while still benefiting from the ease-of-use that Qfile natively offers? :?:
You're living with the risk for intrusions into a corporate network because you like the ease-of-use? :-0

Taigrow
New here

Post by Taigrow »

QNAPDanielFL wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:43 am

i got the ransware too.
Es.

file.jpg.deadbolt
rename
File.jpg
the file opens normally

Did not work for me. I tried a video file and a PDF
Plecotus
Starting out

Post by Plecotus »

P3R wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:14 am You're living with the risk for intrusions into a corporate network because you like the ease-of-use? :-0
"Corporate network" is probably somewhat of a reach. This is literally a 2-Bay QNAP sitting in my house's electrical closet doing real-time and periodic backup (HBS3) to OneDrive over a residential DSL circuit :'

To be clear: my system is not infected, but following this thread with great interest because I'm looking to learn and improve. And prevent!

And yes, up until this moment in time, ease-of-use is an important factor for my users that needs to be part of the equation. If I lock it down too tightly and it becomes too tiresome to access, users will walk away.
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

Plecotus wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:07 am
yemartin wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:16 am 5) You only access your QNAP through a VPN. This allows remote access without exposing the NAS to the open Internet.
My use case is having a number of independent sales contractors (about 50 of them) needing to view and (more importantly) upload files from their tablets and smartphones while in the field.
Qfile works like a charm for this particular purpose and I'm not sure how I'd accomplish a similar user-friendly (none of them are very tech savvy) experience with VPN. Having to first connect VPN on their iPad's, iPhone's or Android before then using Qfile is going to be off-putting for the majority of these guys.

Qfile (SSL enabled) can be setup to use any other but the default 443 HTTPS port, eg port 19443. Would that somewhat mitigate the risk/exposure against threats/exploits like these while still benefiting from the ease-of-use that Qfile natively offers? :?:
Undoubtedly. Changing the ports used by default greatly decreases any intrusion attempts. It is not a guarantee that it cannot be attacked, but for practical purposes it eliminates more than 99% of the problems. Why?

As I said, these types of attacks are indiscriminate. They do not search for a specific device, but instead try to infect as many devices as possible. What is done in this type of attack (the vast majority of the time), is to launch the xploit directly to the ports where the vulnerable services are located. Yes, you can send the exploit to all 65535 ports on a device, but the time it takes is exponential, not to mention that many router firewalls themselves will detect a clear anomaly and drop traffic. They could also do an investigation to try to find out the port to which it has moved, but I repeat that this is not the case in indiscriminate attacks of this type.

For practical and real purposes, and especially in "home" environments, simply changing the default ports reduces any problem to a minimum. In other words, I'm pretty sure there haven't been any infected users qith DeadBolt that had the ports changed. It wouldn't prevent a premeditated attack or a very conscientious attack, that's usually not a problem.

Another recommendation that I always make together with the above, and makes the system practically free of infections, is to correctly configure the Firewall of the NAS or the Router that we put ahead, with something as simple as filtering the traffic that comes outside our country. 99% of malware of these attacks all come from the same countries, so unless you live in precisely one of those countries, filtering international traffic makes you pretty safe.

Applying these and other practices that are the A-B-C of security, I have never had a single problem of attempted intrusion/infection in my systems. In other words, my computers are essentially "invisible" to the background noise of the Internet. That doesn't make them invulnerable, targeted or well-planned attacks would possibly achieve the goal, but no one performs such attacks for home users or small businesses.

Return to “Users' Corner”