[RANSOMWARE] >>READ 1st Post<< Deadbolt

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
TRANSCENDENTMAN
First post

Re: [RANSOMWARE] Deadbolt

Post by TRANSCENDENTMAN »

Can't find OP_Return on this transaction

bc1qdkkl0npq35lm0fds3s8nk8c0wg3dsc9f8u9z0a

Help
jaysona
Been there, done that

Re: Deadbolt ransomware

Post by jaysona »

Qmann wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:21 pm @jaysona,

I would love to see a sticky thread on your list thus far... Perhaps it could be updated on post one as other contribute... :DD
I have simplified my list somewhat. I just block the following QNAP related domains:
  • update.qnap.com
  • ncsi.qnap.com
  • myqnapcloud.com
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-871 (i7-4790. 16GB) (Plex server) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6604T (8GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

TRANSCENDENTMAN wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:54 am Can't find OP_Return on this transaction

bc1qdkkl0npq35lm0fds3s8nk8c0wg3dsc9f8u9z0a
Your decryption key is: c19548c72ad04ddc8b7d26ba9707f942

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
QNAS604
New here

Post by QNAS604 »

@OneCD Can you determine if there is a decryption key for bc1qc0z6wuud2l25vy9vekd3udjzwdsf64zyhskcw7 ?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no transaction at all on that

https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/ ... 64zyhskcw7

Sure you paid the ransom to the right address ?
togetic271
New here

Post by togetic271 »

Our NAS just got hit with deadbolt. I'm frustrated that I did not know that this was happening sooner, but hindsight is 20/20.

Couple questions:

1. Is the only realistic solution to pay the ransom? Luckily we got attacked when BC is down.

2. Assuming I pay the ransom, I refuse to connect my device to the Internet ever again. How the hell would I do the decryption?
ritters
Know my way around

Post by ritters »

You do not have to pay; just reset and format everything and restore from your backup.
togetic271
New here

Post by togetic271 »

ritters wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:58 am You do not have to pay; just reset and format everything and restore from your backup.
Okay, then, let's make an assumption that there is no backup.
QNAS604
New here

Post by QNAS604 »

The NAS in question does not belong to me. Do we have to pay the entire ransom? Or can we obtain a decryption key with partial payment? The other post made it sound like there was some sort of decryption key available (or is this only made available upon payment?). Thanks.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

QNAS604 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:29 am The NAS in question does not belong to me. Do we have to pay the entire ransom? Or can we obtain a decryption key with partial payment? The other post made it sound like there was some sort of decryption key available (or is this only made available upon payment?). Thanks.
It seems the decryption key is only made available via the blockchain network when the whole amount is paid.

Without payment, you can’t do anything else, except wipe the NAS and restore from your backups.

If you decide to pay, it may take a day-or-so for the decryption key to be published.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

togetic271 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:12 am 1. Is the only realistic solution to pay the ransom?
If you have no backups, and desperately require access to the encrypted data, then unfortunately ... yes: your only option is to pay. :(
togetic271 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:12 am 2. Assuming I pay the ransom, I refuse to connect my device to the Internet ever again. How the ** would I do the decryption?
I don't think your NAS requires access to the Internet to perform the decryption (someone please correct me if this is wrong.)

Please note: this problem didn't happen because your NAS had access to the Internet: it happened because the Internet had access to your NAS. This may sound like the same thing, but there’s a difference.

It really comes down to which side starts the conversation:
  • If your NAS starts a conversation with another device on the Internet, this is usually safe (unless that specific Internet device is malicious).
  • But if a device on the Internet is able to start a conversation with your NAS (because your router has active port-forward rules that allow this), this is when the hacking begins.
It has long been the practice of this community forum to advise against allowing access to your NAS from the Internet, and with good reason. QNAP NAS have an awful history of being hacked when exposed to the Internet.

So, disable UPnP in your router and NAS, and don't forward any ports from the Internet to your NAS.

If you need remote-access to your LAN (including your NAS) from the Internet, create a VPN server instance inside your router, and ensure any devices external to your LAN authenticate with the VPN server first before they can see your LAN. This is a free service you run yourself, and does not require a paid (commercial), anonymising VPN service.

agesofman
New here

Post by agesofman »

I am another klutz who has just been hit by deadbolt attack.
Like earlier posts I too am very frustrated that as a normal end user I was not informed by QNAP of this venerability, a simple email from QNAP would have sufficed.
I have the great majority, but not all, of my files backed up but stupidly kept a record of where backups are on the NAS drive! I assumed my PC was more vunerable than the NAS drive!

OK my questions;
1) There are some posts on the web that seem to indicate you can recover files and that hackers have released decryt key and that Emsisoft have an app that decrypts.
eg https://portswigger.net/daily-swig/decr ... s-infected
https://www.emsisoft.com/ransomware-dec ... s/deadbolt
Real or more pain?

2) I have updated NAS firmware to latest version and disabled UPnP but note an earlier post that states 'do not forward any ports from internet to NAS'
How do I check same and disable ports if required?

3) Earlier post gave decript key - am I correct in assuming this is unique to that single attack and would not help me with my attack?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

agesofman wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:36 pm There are some posts on the web that seem to indicate you can recover files and that hackers have released decryt key and that Emsisoft have an app that decrypts.
If you have bought your decryption key the Emisoft tool can help you with the decryption.
How do I check same and disable ports if required?
That is done in the router. Unless you or someone else that have administrative access to your router/firewall have forwarded ports to the internet, no ports should be open.
3) Earlier post gave decript key - am I correct in assuming this is unique to that single attack and would not help me with my attack?
You are correct.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
agesofman
New here

Post by agesofman »

Thanks for really prompt reply P3R.

I also found this QNAP post that enabled me to make sure NAS drive cannot be accessed from internet:
https://www.qnap.com/en/security-news/2 ... e-qnap-nas

Sad that I had to disable a feature that was useful though :(
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

agesofman wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:09 am Sad that I had to disable a feature that was useful though :(
What did you disable that you can't re-establish via a secure VPN connection?
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]

Return to “Users' Corner”