disappearing files

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
MasterJ
First post

Re: disappearing files

Post by MasterJ »

I am experiencing the identical issue. QNAP TS-451+ running 5.0.0.1996. Yesterday I had 1186 Audio book [MP3] files in one folder. This morning I have 35 Audio Books [MP3] in original folder. The remaining 1151 files are nowhere to be found. Not in recycle bin, Not in other folders. The curious point I see is that number of Audio Books consumes a very large amount of space yet all indications are that the usage has not decreased. SOMETHING IN THE QNAP IS LIEING!!!!!! Or the files have been replaced by data in the form of air. My belief at the moment s that the files are still in their original folders but QNAP will not let me see them for some reason. I believe the QNAP is getting confused by certain files and either hides them in place or, if you are lucky, it moves them to the recycle bin so intelligence can prevail. This ends my association with QNAP and I suggest ALL others follow suit. If you read the forum this has been happening for years on ALL models and nothing is being done. Can you truly believe they do not have a lab machine that has duplicated this error with how prolific it is in the field. They are typical Asians and the last thing they will do is admit the truth.
I will add one more factor in hopes it helps somebody somewhere. I have noticed over the past couple weeks that the QNAP just starts doing something. I have no idea what but the disk activity skyrockets. If I login I can find nothing running but the activity remains. My initial thought was that I would start removing seldom used apps to see if it stops then I realized I did not buy this QNAP to troubleshoot issues they have. That is their job to perform and they are not doing it. They are busy throwing more and more new junk at their customers. There are myriad RAID devices available where the manufacturer actually cares about their customer base and I believe I will just choose one of them to replace the QNAP CURSE. Just one more anchor for my fishing boat.
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

MasterJ wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:21 pm Yesterday I had 1186 Audio book [MP3] files in one folder. This morning I have 35 Audio Books [MP3] in original folder. The remaining 1151 files are nowhere to be found. Not in recycle bin, Not in other folders. The curious point I see is that number of Audio Books consumes a very large amount of space yet all indications are that the usage has not decreased. SOMETHING IN THE QNAP IS LIEING!!!!!! Or the files have been replaced by data in the form of air. My belief at the moment s that the files are still in their original folders but QNAP will not let me see them for some reason.
Are you saying that with just 35 files showing in the folder, the folder shows the same amount of data as when the folder showed 1186 files? Or are you saying that the volume shows the same amount of space, but the folder may show less space? If the folder shows the same amount of space and the files are there but just hidden, we can try to look for the files.
If you make a support ticket we can schedule a TeamViewer session.
denethor
Starting out

Post by denethor »

My issue turned out to be a corrupt hybrid sync job that was deleting files it thought shouldn't be there. After removing all of the jobs, uninstalling backup, re-installing, and recreating the sync jobs, the issue went away.
JelloB
First post

Post by JelloB »

I am experiencing the same issues with some of the Qnaps I have installed for my customers, files and folders disappear and after investigating can be found in the recycle bin. i am suffering from this issue for over two years, with different versions of firmware. The only thing in common for those clients is that all of them use HBS3 to sync the DATA to the cloud.
I wonder if this issue has something to do with HBS3
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Best to open tickets (both posters)
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

JelloB wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:17 pm I am experiencing the same issues with some of the Qnaps I have installed for my customers, files and folders disappear and after investigating can be found in the recycle bin. i am suffering from this issue for over two years, with different versions of firmware. The only thing in common for those clients is that all of them use HBS3 to sync the DATA to the cloud.

If you make a ticket and tell me the ticket number, I will ask if we can do a remote session.
ramizh
New here

Post by ramizh »

QNAPDanielFL wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:32 am
JelloB wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:17 pm I am experiencing the same issues with some of the Qnaps I have installed for my customers, files and folders disappear and after investigating can be found in the recycle bin. i am suffering from this issue for over two years, with different versions of firmware. The only thing in common for those clients is that all of them use HBS3 to sync the DATA to the cloud.

If you make a ticket and tell me the ticket number, I will ask if we can do a remote session.
@QNAPDanielFL: I have the same issue and the files are not in the recycle bin - Ticket: Q-202210-08052.

Its not okay to have this happen!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

denethor wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:39 am My issue turned out to be a corrupt hybrid sync job that was deleting files it thought shouldn't be there. After removing all of the jobs, uninstalling backup, re-installing, and recreating the sync jobs, the issue went away.
there is a setting in Hybridbackupsync where u can delete extra files in the destination when it detects those files no longer being on the source.

not sure if that is a setting you are using but were unawares, or whether something unintended is going on.

also concerned about this :'

denethor wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:39 am My issue turned out to be a corrupt hybrid sync job that was deleting files it thought shouldn't be there. After removing all of the jobs, uninstalling backup, re-installing, and recreating the sync jobs, the issue went away.
:'
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

ramizh wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:07 pm
QNAPDanielFL wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:32 am

@QNAPDanielFL: I have the same issue and the files are not in the recycle bin - Ticket: Q-202210-08052.

Its not okay to have this happen!

Sorry for the late reply.
It looks from the ticket that you now know what happend to your files.
Do you have snapshots?
gill.sam@Outlook.com
New here

Post by gill.sam@Outlook.com »

Hello Everyone

I am having a similar issue. Qnap supports has been unable to diagnose this. Files get deleted at random times during the day and get sent to network recycle bin, Some times the folders are empty and sometimes they have data in them. It's happening on different shares with different users with no inter acess. So the chance of a human error are really low. I have still verified with users that they are not deleting these files. The qulog shows a user deleting the file while the user is actually not taking the action. It all started after the HBS backup was executed. I do have an HBS back up scheduled for midnight, it's one way back up not an active sync. I have cancelled the back up jobs , wait 24 hours and rescheduled them. On top of this, I have spent weeks troubleshooting this with support with no luck. I have on multiple occasions, cleaned all the network recycle bins and restored the data. It pops up again.

Here's the result of weeks of troubleshooting. Calling it disappointment will be an understatement:

Hello

The logs cannot specify what program/command caused the deletion, only the user responsible.

You'd have to debug with that user what they are doing that's causing the deletion. Either a program they're using or something in the background.

I think I am going to take it down as data is too valuable than the drive itself. I have no other programs running other than office 365. I think QNAP engineering is unable to figure the bug out. Pinning it on user is the probably the easiest way. We are only a staff of 5 so vetting was easy. Imagine if you are counting on this technology with a higher headcount. It will be a nightmare.
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

gill.sam@Outlook.com wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:44 am Hello Everyone

I am having a similar issue. Qnap supports has been unable to diagnose this. Files get deleted at random times during the day and get sent to network recycle bin, Some times the folders are empty and sometimes they have data in them. It's happening on different shares with different users with no inter acess. So the chance of a human error are really low. I have still verified with users that they are not deleting these files. The qulog shows a user deleting the file while the user is actually not taking the action. It all started after the HBS backup was executed. I do have an HBS back up scheduled for midnight, it's one way back up not an active sync. I have cancelled the back up jobs , wait 24 hours and rescheduled them. On top of this, I have spent weeks troubleshooting this with support with no luck. I have on multiple occasions, cleaned all the network recycle bins and restored the data. It pops up again.

Here's the result of weeks of troubleshooting. Calling it disappointment will be an understatement:

Hello

The logs cannot specify what program/command caused the deletion, only the user responsible.

You'd have to debug with that user what they are doing that's causing the deletion. Either a program they're using or something in the background.

I think I am going to take it down as data is too valuable than the drive itself. I have no other programs running other than office 365. I think QNAP engineering is unable to figure the bug out. Pinning it on user is the probably the easiest way. We are only a staff of 5 so vetting was easy. Imagine if you are counting on this technology with a higher headcount. It will be a nightmare.
If I know the ticket number I will ask about this.

Are you sure the files in the recycle bin are not also on the NAS? Meaning was a copy of the file put in the recycle bin or was the file deleted and appeared in the recycle bin?
gill.sam@Outlook.com
New here

Post by gill.sam@Outlook.com »

Here is the ticket number Ticket Q-202208-55148. In some instances, the actual data was being deleted. I was told the user is doing something. I ended up factory resetting the device. Format all disks and deployed it again. So far, the issue seems to have gone away. I guess it wasn’t the "user" action doing it in the end.
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

Thank you for the ticket number.
We are discussing this case.

I am glad the issue has gone away for you after reformating the disks.
But if such a thing were to ever happen again, can you let me know so we could look into this right away?danielfrancislyon@qnap.com

Return to “Users' Corner”