Cloning System disk

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Taleya
New here

Cloning System disk

Post by Taleya »

I know, I know, the holy grail, especially since I'm looking down the barrel of setting up 100+ units that are all pretty much identical except for a verrry specific registration on a client running through container station.

Requisites: NAS units are all the same model (and usually successive sns to boot), hard disks are all identical (same deal)

so far I've determined I can configure a NAS completely, take the drive out and stuff it in another NAS and it works fine. However, if I try to clone the Master - be it via clonezilla, DD or a physical bitcopier, nope, the clone won't work. NAS will pick up hey you've got a drive here, would you liek me to recover, but never, ever succeeds in doing so.

Somewhere in the bowels of the hard disk I suspect the NAS has written a config that holds the drive SN. Anyone know where it is?

EDIT: Cloning via RAID 1 won't work, once the RAID is broken it constantly bleats a drive error. Not good on a production machine and would disguise genuine issues. Removing the pool to reset the drive obviously trashes all the data I'm trying to duplicate.
qrusher
Know my way around

Re: Cloning System disk

Post by qrusher »

you may use swap disk one by one
to make any number of raid members disk than use tham else ever device and restore raid by rebuuild
https://www.qnap.com.cn/en/how-to/tutor ... ty-upgrade
crush qnaps like a thanos crushing planets
Updates are compromise between old bug patches and new bugs introduced. 8)
do you backup..then kill it with fire
stuff:mikrotik Crs309-1g-8s+in & s+rj10 x4
Taleya
New here

Post by Taleya »

The build is a single disk though, not a raided array. So the only option I have is to migrate the raid group....which brings us back to the issue mentioned in the main post about breaking the RAID
qrusher
Know my way around

Post by qrusher »

crush qnaps like a thanos crushing planets
Updates are compromise between old bug patches and new bugs introduced. 8)
do you backup..then kill it with fire
stuff:mikrotik Crs309-1g-8s+in & s+rj10 x4
Taleya
New here

Post by Taleya »

qrusher wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:23 pm viewtopic.php?f=25&p=732564#p732564
...spectacular, it never occurred to me to use mdadm. oof.

Return to “Users' Corner”