TS-230 Drive hum

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
peachumz
New here

TS-230 Drive hum

Post by peachumz »

I've also just bought a TS-230 and have exactly the same problem, and depending on where it was on my desk during build and test, determined how loud the droning noise was, so the desk was definitely amplifying the sound, but not creating it.

I set the disk spin down time to 5 minutes, the NAS duly obliged 5 minutes later and the sound stopped, until I browsed a share when the disks spun up and it was there annoying me again.

I have just moved this to a cupboard for my own sanity, but all that vibration cant be good for the drives.

I didn't notice this issue in any of the reviews, and the TS-230 came out as good basic NAS offering which is all I now need. But if its a design fault I'll refund it, but if not I'll probably RMA it.

I don't have heaps of choice to start with in NZ, and I've just reduced footprint from a ReadyNas RN204 4 bay hot swap, etc. running RAID 5 with 3 x WD NAS Red 8TB drives. Which incidentally is now on my desk running a 8TB single disk JBOD and is a lot quieter.

I don't need 16TB any more and I have some Netgear "issues", so the QNAP TS-230 running RAID1 8TB is just fine for me. IF IT WASNT SO DAMN NOISY!

Anyone have any ideas or do I just need to splurge on another overly expensive NAS that I don't really need just to get some quality?

As a foot note - just wanted to say that in all other regards, and especially the software, I'm not in a hurry to go back to Netgear!
OneCD
Guru

Re: TS-230 Drive hum

Post by OneCD »

* topic split from viewtopic.php?f=45&t=154700 *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: TS-230 Drive hum

Post by dosborne »

There are many threads on strategies and suggestions to reduce noise levels. I haven't experienced a major problem with any of my units, but typically it is due to the units primarily made out of plastic. All it takes is a loose wire, a missing screw or a couple of plastic parts to amplify vibration noises. The only part on mine that has a rattle to it is the clip for the drive tray. Once in a while I just have to move it a fraction and the noise goes away. Otherwise, from my old PC building days, a bit of gorilla tape, a wedge of padding or a drop of hot glue goes a long way to holding things in place and reducing rattle noises. Some investigation work would be required to find the right treatment in your case.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]

Return to “Users' Corner”