QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Re: QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Post by AlastairStevenson »

back in working order. Thanks for saving me thousands of dollars in gear and time if I had to replace it.
Although I don't think we've seen any posts yet about follow-on failures after the 'resistor fix', I believe the electromigration problem in the Intel CPU that's the underlying cause is progressive, so this is unlikely to be a permanent fix.
You should ensure you are fully covered with backups of any valuable data, and maybe plan for a replacement storage solution.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Keinstein
First post

Post by Keinstein »

Just to add me to the long list of thankful readers of this thread, who managed to get their device working again (TS-453Pro in my case) by simply adding a 100 Ohm resistor at the right place (between pin1&8 in my case). Booted right away with all disks in! There was no fan or other error recorded in the log and no power cut. Apparently, it just died by itself after 7 years without problems ...
floydrosado
First post

Post by floydrosado »

451 died this week, fixed with 100 Ohm resister; managed to do it solder-free with pin extensions and a bit of black tape! Thanks so much to everybody smarter than me for figuring this thing out and sharing the solution. I now have ~98 extra pin extensions if anybody needs a few :)
dgypnas
Starting out

Post by dgypnas »

I searched the forum best I could. Does anyone have a list of affected QNAP devices (seems manufacture date is needed). From reading here it looks like the TS-251+ is impacted but not the TS-251 but I am trying to verify that. I have a non-plus TS-251 that must be 5-7 years old. No problems but I can’t figure out how to tell if this specific device is impacted.
Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?
Thanks!
codo70
First post

Post by codo70 »

HI
so for me i had 4 453pro running 24/7 since 2014 and now 3 of the died with the system booting symptom.
Shame on you qnap..
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you read the thread, you had discovered that it's actually an intel problem/fault
oliemery311
New here

Post by oliemery311 »

Hi

I have a TS-453b that died on me a few days ago, just had a solid green light, I had alerts my services were down so when I couldn’t access the admin page I rebooted it then got a solid red status light followed by a flashing red status light. I’ve since read lots of posts about the 100ohm fix and tried it on my NAS but no luck here like a few other people with 453b’s. I’m measuring less than 0.5v pin 1 to pin 8. I’ve tried 100, 150, 220 from pin 1-6(measuring 3.4v) but nothing seems to make a difference. I’ve also tried the 100ohm from 1-8 just in case but nothing. If anyone knows of a potential fix I’d really appreciate the help. I’ve ordered a 1k potentiometer just so I can test but I don’t have a lot of faith it’s going to work. I’ll update if it does!

Cheers!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The J3455 (Apollo Lake) does not have this issue

https://hardwaresfera.com/en/noticias/h ... l-bus-lpc/
dgypnas
Starting out

Post by dgypnas »

I did “read the forum”. I did not find a list of QNAP devices that are impacted nor could I find the CPU for my exact QNAP model nor the exact CPUs that are impacted. From what I can tell the TS-251+ and TS-453 Pro have the problem although I believe some of those models have a different CPU and may not express the problem. But, just because I didn’t see my model does not mean it does not have the problem… does that explain why I asked?
oliemery311
New here

Post by oliemery311 »

Ah ok just realised the ts-453b is a J3455. Guess it’s back to the drawing board.
Cheers
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

@dgypnas

my reply was for codo70
oliemery311
New here

Post by oliemery311 »

No worries still prompted me to properly check the specs of the ts-453b.
avidnasfan
New here

Post by avidnasfan »

Have TS-453 Pro and it started having the issue with the system temperature being unintelligible and the SYS fan not working. The unit then shut itself off due to perceived overheating and it kept beeping 3-beeps at a time.
I tried the fix suggested by the various forum posts and it worked! I did not fully disassemble the unit. I just soldered on the back of the board and just made sure the resistor tucked in ok before sliding the case back on. I attached some pics to show what I did.

Before the fix I measured the voltage between pin 1 and 10 and it measured 2.3v
After 100 ohm resistor between pin 1 and pin 10 (ground): 1.287v

Then I put back all the disks and it boots up fine now with the System temp and fan speed measuring correctly!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mr.manic
New here

Post by mr.manic »

QNAP 453pro 100 Ohm resistor on the back, worked for me.

Thx for this good advice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
QNAP TS-453pro, 8 GB, 4x4TB WD Red
avidnasfan
New here

Post by avidnasfan »

That’s awesome! Glad it worked!

Return to “Users' Corner”