QWA-AC2600 as AP and WiFI

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Ichijoe
Starting out

QWA-AC2600 as AP and WiFI

Post by Ichijoe »

Good day I just recently got into QNAP NAS's with the TS-453D I chose this NAS for both the Intel x86, and embedded PCIe slot.
It came to my attention that if I got myself an QWA-AC2600 Card I could set my NAS Box up as a Wireless AP Station that would be able to host a VPN Client, such as VPN Unlimited.
So what I would like to know is can I setup the 2.4GHz b/g/n Band to act as an Access Point, while letting the 5Ghz a/n/ac Bands connect to my Router?

Or Can am I only stuck with One band PERIOD at, wich point I can only connect back to the router over Ethernet?

Thank you.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QWA-AC2600 as AP and WiFI

Post by dolbyman »

Best would be to ignore Wifi for your NAS and have other equipment handle that...Most people that have tried, have rage quit those cards, as the implementation is very bad. (on the NAS side)

Not sure what you are trying to to...a VPN Wifi access point ?

If you want to have a dedicated Wifi SSID tunneled via VPN, get a WIFI router with selective VPN tunneling (e.g. Asus routers with Merlin firmware)
Ichijoe
Starting out

Re: QWA-AC2600 as AP and WiFI

Post by Ichijoe »

I can see why... I have at least had some luck with getting the VPN carrying side of the Card to work. So the Card "works" for me kinda... sorta....
What I want to do is host an OpenVPN Config file from my provider VPN Unlimited on the QVPN App. and use the QWA-AC2600 as a 2.4G b/g/n Access Point So I can get my German Local Roku to report in as being more California Local So as to take some advantage of geo Locked contents. Surprisingly this Card works well once setup to that end.

My problem is the TS453-D is still very much tethered to the router via Ethernert Port 1, and I'm wondering if there isn't a way to activate the 5G a/n/ac side of the card to go full wireless again?

*Edit were such an endeavour ever posible on my Router an AVM Fritz.box (i.e. German vDSL Modem & Router) , I would have done it. Not even installing open source Freetz has been as near a one shot as this has been. So while I'm sure its simpler to get a WRT and hack that instead. I chose this route instead. It's not perfect. FAR FROM IT! but, it does at least work. in as far as I need it to lift the Roku Express (i.e. Micro USB & HDMI1.4 Connectors 2,4g b/g/n ONLY), into the network, just where I want it inside the VPN Cloud.

Return to “Users' Corner”