Network link for UPS to Win10

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
donwynne
First post

Network link for UPS to Win10

Post by donwynne »

I have a TS-563 plugged into a UPS, which shuts down in an orderly manner when power is lost. What I want to do is notify my WIN10 machine that power is lost an have it power done also. The WIN10 computer is plugged into the same UPS and is on the same network segment. I configured the QNAP NAS to send an alert to the IP address of the WIN10 computer, but it doesn't respond to whatever the NAS send out.. What do I need to install on WIN10 power so it will shutdown when the QNAP NAS sends an alert alert via the network? Any help appreciated.
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: Network link for UPS to Win10

Post by FSC830 »

You need to install a nut client at the Windows system!
The nut client for Windows can be found here: https://github.com/gawindx/WinNUT-Client

Note: for connecting a nut server at a QNAP, this credentials you need to configure in nut client are mandatory:

UPS-Name: qnapups
user: admin
Password: 123456

Regards
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Totally forgotten 8) :
You have a 2nd choice. If you connect the communication cable (USB/serial) into the Win 10 PC you can use APC software powerchute for controlling/monitoring the UPS.
In that case you need to configure the NAS as UPS slave.
This is may be more comfortable then dealing with nut.

Regards
paulrobbo
Starting out

Post by paulrobbo »

I've just setup WinNUT on Win 11 on my PC (on a fixed LAN IP address) in one room to monitor a QNAP TS-253D (also on a fixed IP) on an APC UPS (USB port connected to the NAS) in another room over my LAN and it's happily working. I didn't want to use powerchute because the PC isn't always on like the NAS, but I wanted to know the UPS status. The UPS doesn't have a display, only LEDs, and WinNUT allows me to see deeper into its status than the LEDs tell me. See these images:

WinNUT:

QNAP:
paulrobbo
NAS: TS-253D, Expansion: TR-002, UPS: APC BX 1600MI-AZ (USB)
Network: TP-Link Archer AX55 AX3000 Wi-Fi 6 Router

Post by ultradj83 »

paulrobbo wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:44 am I've just setup WinNUT on Win 11 on my PC (on a fixed LAN IP address) in one room to monitor a QNAP TS-253D (also on a fixed IP) on an APC UPS (USB port connected to the NAS) in another room over my LAN and it's happily working. I didn't want to use powerchute because the PC isn't always on like the NAS, but I wanted to know the UPS status. The UPS doesn't have a display, only LEDs, and WinNUT allows me to see deeper into its status than the LEDs tell me. See these images:
Dear @paulrobbo I was just searching for a way to do the same and your solution works like a charm.
Just a "cosmetic" question (sorry I couldn't find any winnut wikis), see attached pic.
The dashboard shows 125W load, dunno where it takes this value as I couldn't find it in variables send by the NAS; moreover it shows 100% load, but from datasheet 100% is 900W.
Do you know how to calibrate this?
I couldn't do that from calibration tab in the settings...

Thanks a lot!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paulrobbo
Starting out

Post by paulrobbo »

ultradj83 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:07 pm
paulrobbo wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:44 am I've just setup WinNUT on Win 11 on my PC (on a fixed LAN IP address) in one room to monitor a QNAP TS-253D (also on a fixed IP) on an APC UPS (USB port connected to the NAS) in another room over my LAN and it's happily working. I didn't want to use powerchute because the PC isn't always on like the NAS, but I wanted to know the UPS status. The UPS doesn't have a display, only LEDs, and WinNUT allows me to see deeper into its status than the LEDs tell me. See these images:
Dear @paulrobbo I was just searching for a way to do the same and your solution works like a charm.
Just a "cosmetic" question (sorry I couldn't find any winnut wikis), see attached pic.
The dashboard shows 125W load, dunno where it takes this value as I couldn't find it in variables send by the NAS; moreover it shows 100% load, but from datasheet 100% is 900W.
Do you know how to calibrate this?
I couldn't do that from calibration tab in the settings...

Thanks a lot!
Hi, I'm glad it worked for you.
The cosmetic problem you have is also something I'm experiencing except the opposite way. Sometimes it shows my UPS as having 15% load, but mostly it shows zero load even though I'm usually drawing the same load constantly (My NAS and network modem & router gear). I had a look at the WinNUT Open Issues ticket
UPS Load e.g. Watts #121
https://github.com/gawindx/WinNUT-Client/issues/121 which seems to show this is a known problem with some UPS gear. So I guess we should keep an eye out for that issue to be resolved there.
paulrobbo
NAS: TS-253D, Expansion: TR-002, UPS: APC BX 1600MI-AZ (USB)
Network: TP-Link Archer AX55 AX3000 Wi-Fi 6 Router

Post by ispybadguys »

I tried this configuration but I get the error on WinNUT-client
[Id 2: 5/22/2023 7:40:07 PM] Connection to Nut Host 192.168.1.17:3493 Failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Return to “Users' Corner”