Total reset TS-431 through SSH

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
ikifikif
Starting out

Total reset TS-431 through SSH

Post by ikifikif »

Hi.
I have TS-431 (current ver. 4.3.6.1750 , latest ver. for the NAS is 4.3.6.2050) for many years and it is pretty weak hardware for 2022. I use 2 x HD WD red pro 6T in RAID1 and 1 WD red 3T.
Over time, a few problems have accumulated: freezes, not recognized some external drives (which razoboznavali before).
I want to do a complete system wipe so that there is no any file/configuration left from the current system.
I found a way to reset through SSH there https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Complete_Reinitialization :
"So login to your QNAP with ssh and type in mount on the list find the device binded with /share/HDA_DATA (for single disk configuration) or /share/MD0_DATA (for raid configurations). Launch fdisk with the disk as a parameter and remove all partitions.
There is also another more brutal way to destroy the partition table on the disk: dd if=/dev/urandom of=<name of your HDD device> bs=1024k count=1."

Code: Select all

[/] # ls -r /share/
homes@            Web@              Multimedia@       Download@         BackUPs@
i18n/             external/         Public@           Main@             CACHEDEV1_DATA/
I guess my disk is CACHEDEV1_DATA, but how I remove all partitions in this way ?

Maybe the 2nd way , but I see too much devices, Do I need destroy the each one ? :

/dev/sda1: UUID
/dev/sda2: UUID
/dev/sda3: UUID
/dev/sda4: UUID
/dev/sda5: UUID
/dev/sdb1: UUID
/dev/sdb2: UUID
/dev/sdb3: UUID
/dev/sdb4: UUID
/dev/sdb5: UUID
/dev/md9: UUID
/dev/md13: UUID
/dev/md256: UUI
/dev/md322: UUI
/dev/md1: UUID
/dev/mapper/vg288-lv1: LABEL
/dev/mapper/cachedev1: LABEL
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Total reset TS-431 through SSH

Post by dolbyman »

why not just reinit via GUI ?
ikifikif
Starting out

Re: "fdisk -d all" to clean disks before new install

Post by ikifikif »

I'm trying to reset my ts-431.
md_checker shows :

Disk | Device | # | Status |   Last Update Time   | Events | Array State
===============================================================================
   4  /dev/sdb3  0   Active   Jul  5 01:19:05 2022       20   AA
   2  /dev/sda3  1   Active   Jul  5 01:19:05 2022       20   AA
hal_app --get_boot_pd port_id=0:

/dev/mtdblock
I undestant that need to eraise sdb and sda , but do I need to do something with mtdblock ? Where this disk located ?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* moved post *

@ikifikif, please don’t necropost in an old topic.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ikifikif
Starting out

Post by ikifikif »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:41 am why not just reinit via GUI ?
I have tried reinit in the past, but the problem with a certain external drive remains,and before it be detected correctly. The port itself is working, I checked it with another disk.
I don't exactly know what the reinit do ? Is there other internal memory in TS431 , which keeps some configuration files ?
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Which problem exists with an external drive?
If you follow the advise from the linked Wiki and remove all partitions at a PC, all configuration data is lost. There is a part of OS in NAS remaining, the DOM.
You can do a DOM recovery if you believe that some configurations settings are surviving in DOM.
But if you doing wrong, you can brick your NAS!
If an issue remains even after reinitialization I guess the issue is most likely at the external device.

Regards
ikifikif
Starting out

Post by ikifikif »

FSC830 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:52 pm Which problem exists with an external drive?
If you follow the advise from the linked Wiki and remove all partitions at a PC, all configuration data is lost. There is a part of OS in NAS remaining, the DOM.
You can do a DOM recovery if you believe that some configurations settings are surviving in DOM.
But if you doing wrong, you can brick your NAS!
If an issue remains even after reinitialization I guess the issue is most likely at the external device.

Regards
The NAS stopped to recognize ext. HD (case Sumsung Story USB3 + HD WD red 3T). In past I worked with the disk on the NAS and it worked properly.
I tried this ext. disk on TS-128 - works properly.
Tried other USB3 ext. disk 2.5" on the TS-431 - works properly.

Return to “Users' Corner”