Just got extra nas

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
ROLLINS
Know my way around

Just got extra nas

Post by ROLLINS »

Can i get some feed back on what you would use an extra nas for .
Was planning on getting a cam that can record to the nas,seems some people are just dumping qnap nas.
No way i would pass up when i saw it and for great price.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Just got extra nas

Post by dolbyman »

Normally it's the other way around? You have the need for another NAS for a specific task (backup, redundancy,additional usage,etc) then you decide to buy an extra NAS, buying the NAS and decide upon what to do with it seems backwards.

So tell us what you currently do with your NAS and what needs you tasks need filling.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

depends.

if u got 2 nas, thats usually perfect. one is your main nas, the other can be your backup.

usually if you have more than that, maybe because u upgraded one of the nas so now u have 3, you can either sell the old model 2nd hand, or you can use it to keep even more storage or another backup.

personally i got a lot of old drives with no where to put them, so i use any spare/old model nas to put them into and use that as another backup even if it's overkill but you never know.

it's really up to you how you want to do this, but a nas is almost like a car. the value keeps going lower and lower as there are usually newer models people would rather get than the old ones (usually because warranty expires, newer features newer models, and software updates/support EOL/ends).

Was planning on getting a cam that can record to the nas,seems some people are just dumping qnap nas.
if it was a hardware failure, that could happen, though it never happened to me, i could at least understand. but if people r just dumping because they are inappropriately exposing their nas then get hit then wonder why? thats just ignorance and pushing blame elsewhere, but if they sell becauz of that and u can get a good deal from it, good for u. so u got a good deal even after accounting for the shipping costs did you? :'

if the model u r getting 2nd hand is EOL, then i'd suggest u considering installing a replacement OS on it like truenas if it supports it :'

oo here is another idea, if it's that good a deal, and you don't quite you need it yourself either like you said, have you thought about flipping it aka hustling? try resell at a higher price and see if someone bites? :' if u got the time for that.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
ROLLINS
Know my way around

Post by ROLLINS »

I finally made up my mind, will use the extra Qnap as back up and other stuff to play around with like cams.
It's an 8 ba,y raid 6 is recommended, if i use raid 6 instead of 5 it will be just like my other 8 bay.
I am backing up content from a 4 bay and 8 bay.What do you guys recommend ?
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

ROLLINS wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:12 pm I finally made up my mind, will use the extra Qnap as back up and other stuff to play around with like cams.
It's an 8 ba,y raid 6 is recommended, if i use raid 6 instead of 5 it will be just like my other 8 bay.
I am backing up content from a 4 bay and 8 bay.What do you guys recommend ?
8bay nas, but are u going to be populating all 8 bays? if so then ya raid6 should be fine. usually for backups i usually keep them same config so i can do a 1:1 backup, so maybe u don't need to populate all 8bays, and just setup similar capacity and amount of drives. so for example if ur main nas is the 4bay, then u can simply do 4hdd raid5 on the 8bay nas to match it, so u dont have to spend more than u have to for a nas being used as merely a backup. up to u how much u want to spend on this :D

make sure u check if usable space is same or more than what u intend to be backing up to it :'

use this raid calculator and look at the usable space
https://www.qnap.com/en/selector/raid-selector

for backing up normal data/shares you can use hybridbackupsync and either setup an automated schedule or a manual job.

for ipcam, qnap has qvr pro, they have an automated backup within that app, so maybe for backing up ipcam recordings u need to do it through that app instead? :'
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
ROLLINS
Know my way around

Post by ROLLINS »

Well the 4 bay and the other 8 bay is where the content is.Content is added almost everyday.
I wanted to go with raid 5 for the back up but if i were to lose 2 drives i'm screwed.
Reason i'm considering loading all 8 bays doing raid 6 as back up
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

if populating all 8 bays, then yes raid6. if only populating 4-5 of those bays, probly best use raid5.

but as mentioned earlier, best also double check raid calculator that usable space will be able to backup what you need to. for myself, i do a 1:1 backup :D though other people may have different requirements. but this is easiest for me since i know everything will be backed up without worry whether i have enough space on my backup nas to fit everything or not.

standard qts uses ext4 mdam. quts they have openzfs which is excellent in regards to data integrity because of the checksum healing it has :mrgreen: but if ur not that worried, then former should be sufficient.
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Users' Corner”