New to QNAP time to play

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
DC1333
New here

New to QNAP time to play

Post by DC1333 »

Well I have moved on to big power hungry computers so something more tasteful.

I have maybe gotten myself into some trouble. Before my dad passed we ended up getting a TVS-872XT. It had thunderbolt for my Macs but as a NAS for my Shield TV Pro and can play nice with my HP Z840s or other things. I'm reading a bunch of reviews now in how the 72X series have some issues dying. All my power is filtered, I use UPS's, I'm not a crazy pirate so I wont run a bunch if any VMs and or Containers since Plex and Resilio Sync is all I need so I know I'm not going to over load it. Anything else I should do to keep this thing maybe running a few years?

I'm on the Beta QuTS 5.0.1 kinda fun a little different than UnRaid and hot computers. Have thought about running UnRaid or TrueNAS Scale. Maybe one day I'll import some containers for Home Assistant and Home Bridge.

Well on to searching this for the day to see what everyone else has been doing.
OneCD
Guru

Re: New to QNAP time to play

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

Let's get the bad news out-of-the-way first: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=153097

If you're already aware of these issues, maybe consider purchasing a new model sooner rather than later?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DC1333
New here

Post by DC1333 »

I would love to just return the thing since it's only a few days old but hours after my dad bought it for me he died so I can't get a refund. So this is now just a backup not a good way to switch from Synology or custom builds. Still want try my first QNAP LOL.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Maybe I'm cynical, but with QNAP beta firmware is more "alpha". If you depend on the data or services and this isn't something you are just playing around with, you should at a minimum go back to the latest non-beta, stable(ish) release.

Also critical, be sure to read the ransomware threads so that you don't get a nasty surprise.

Plex should do a good job for you, glad to hear you aren't trying to use video station.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]

Return to “Users' Corner”