Access my data on the disks after QNAP Firmware recovery?

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Birlago
New here

Access my data on the disks after QNAP Firmware recovery?

Post by Birlago »

I have a QNAP TS219P+
version: 4.0.1.20130604 (after rcovery)
it crashed on firmware update , qnap finder could not see it anymore
i made the firware recovery removing both drives before doing it , using this link
https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Recovery
it worked -Yeah!

Now:
qnap finder find it and tell me hard disk missing and it i put one in it will wipe all my data. so im scared to put back my disk and have all my data wiped
how shall i do to pass the initialisation and keep my data ?
(if i only put and wipe 1 drive will the second one be able to be restored after?)

Hard Drive Missing
Install and format at least one hard drive before using the NAS. A hard drive can be inserted to an empty disk bay without turning off the NAS. For the hard disk compatibility list, please visit http://www.qnap.com/go/compatibility_hdd35.html
Note: All the drive data will be cleared upon hard drive initialization.
Please make sure the hard drive(s) are installed correctly and the hard drive cable(s) are securely connected.

thanks for your help
2022-08-14 09.20 ASUS636.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by OneCD on Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed title
dolbyman
Guru

Re: [How To] Access my data on the disks after QNAP Firware recovery

Post by dolbyman »

read externally as explained a couple of days ago...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=167305&p=824077#p824077

start doing external backups or you WILL loose all your files !
Birlago
New here

Re: [How To] Access my data on the disks after QNAP Firmware recovery

Post by Birlago »

Thanks for your quick answer.
i start to understand that NAS are not secure (Raid was why i bought it in the first place , i was not counting on NAS firmware update failure - i was expecting QNAP to be able to read back the disck after firwqre recovery - i guess it is not a feature)

i tried to use your software but none of the disk is showing up ( i right click + "run it as administrator" as it ask)
(the disks on the HDD are G: I: J: )

do you know what i should do?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: [How To] Access my data on the disks after QNAP Firmware recovery

Post by dolbyman »

Has nothing to do with QNAP ..RAID is NEVER a backup

if that software does not work, use a linux distribution of your choice
Birlago
New here

Re: Access my data on the disks after QNAP Firmware recovery?

Post by Birlago »

For the people that maybe still in my case :

i understood ( probably basic for most of you)
NAS is linux based file system EXT that cannot be read directly by windows so we need software to do so : here below 3 methods
https://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways ... m-windows/

- including Ext2explore mentionned by dolbyman , which does not work for me | but thansk to him to point me in the right direction! and i will try to learn what are and how to do backups :p
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/

- and Ext2 File which works for me , i can see them in windows and copy the data to another drive
link to ext2 File https://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/

Good luck to all of you :D :D
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

used raid5 qnap for many years, it worked fine. though when a drive is reported failing, i replace and it resyncs raid, and everything fine.

but regardless, still kept a backup just in case

https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... _a_backup/

if you don't have backups, then the fault lies on u :/ highly recommend u have a backup strategy
For the people that maybe still in my case :
doesn't matter their situation, it doesn't change the fact, you must have backups especially is the data is important to you. there is no other answer than this, other than expensive data recovery (if at all possible) or whatever mcgyver hail mary recovery u can find, but why go through that headache :S just get a proper backup plan.

i start to understand that NAS are not secure
the thing about this is, as long as you don't expose your nas online, don't upnp router/nas, and you regularly update, and you don't download malware to your network/devices, then you'll be fine. people that don't do their due diligence and the the opposite, those r the people that get hit then complain why they got hit :S also good idea to have backups.

if remote access is a requirement, usually vpn server on router is the way to do that. and also requires further diligence to maintain a clean/secure network. people who aren't up to the task are better of not doing that if they plan to stay safe :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

It is not only the EXT filesystem, but if you used a raid (i.e. raid0) reading data from a disk is not possible.
With disks set as "single disk" or "raid1" you can be lucky and get data back. For raid0, raid5, raid6 and other raid levels you need to rebuild the raid.
Either by adding all disks to PC at same time or by imaging every disk each after each, which needs finally a large storage capacity to store the images.
For such an external raid rebuild a special software is needed, which is not for free (i.e. u f s e x p l o r e r). I do no not have any experirence by myself with this, just read some posts about it.
The the most important protection are backups, backups, backups and...
more backups! 8)

In case of newer NAS models the raid recovery is not all, LVM settings must also recovered which makes it more complicated to regain the data.
Solution here is ...
backups as well! :DD

Regards

Return to “Users' Corner”