[RANSOMWARE] >>READ 1st Post<< Deadbolt

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
qsurenot
New here

Re: [RANSOMWARE] Deadbolt

Post by qsurenot »

dosborne wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:55 pm
qsurenot wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:20 pm
dosborne wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:29 am Lesson 1 - have a backup strategy that fits with your data
Lesson 2 - spend an hour reading about *ALL* the devices on your network and learn the basic steps to secure them. (At least sign up for security notices about vulnerabilities)

These lessons may not help you *today* (as there really is no help to be given since you either take the data loss, or restore from backup, or pay the ransom) but they are critical for the day you get your system running again either from a complete reset or from decryption. If you don't learn these lessons, you are still vulnerable. Whatever you did to allow the attack should be resolved now, before anything else or there is no point.

We are trying to help you, so that you aren't back in the same situation in 3 months.
Yes we ALL understand the importance of backups but this is neither the time nor place for this great advice for several reasons:
This is not criminal hacker tech support, this is QNAP community support. As there is no "fix" for this ransomware, the only solution that can be offered is to help people with data recovery and planning to prevent the next attack. It cannot be said enough, therefore this *IS* the place. Many users come here specifically to read about Deadbolt and need the information on creating a backup plan for the future.

Read the posts about people being hit with multiple waves of ransomware that even paying for the key does not help recover all files.
Looking for information on how to deal with this deadbolt mess? Absolutely. Looking for a "well you should've had a backup somewhere" preach? I highly doubt that...

1. By definition a NAS is often THE BACKUP device for many users. for the majority of people who just wanted a safe place for their photos and files.
Great. Then their original data is safe and unaffected. Secure the network, remove the malware, make a new backup. No data loss.
True and spend possibly hours doing all of that again AT NO FAULT of yours other than using a terrible vendor with a joke of a process for securing their products.
4. And similarly to #3, it's not the ransom paid by the victims that's putting us collectively in danger, it's vendors like QNAP with horrific security controls and QA for their products that are putting us all in danger.
"Contributing" - perhaps, but ultimately the security of YOUR network is YOUR responsibility. If your router locked down UPnP for instance, which many as finally disabling by default, then the ransomware would not have affected so many NAS users. Shouldn't you be "blaming" your router manufacturer instead (or as well) then?
Agreed and one of the most important things you can do to secure your network is do your research and try to pick decent/reputable brands who take security seriously. THEN perhaps we can talk about backup plans. As for UPnP, great point: why did QNAP have it on by default? (and have it buried in configuration settings with a non-standard name to boot?) I could see a router vendor doing it because that's a use case for routers but what use case is it for a NAS device especially coming from a vendor with shoddy security practices? Was it the "get to your files from ANYWHERE using myQnapCloud" advertised all over the place? So now they're disabling it after this fiasco, why wasn't it disabled to begin with?

TL;DR: It's not my router or my network security or my backup plans or what I had for dinner that resulted in this mess. It is a poorly designed NAS device made by QNAP with a zero day vulnerability. Simple as that.
Geraud W
New here

Post by Geraud W »

If someone could give me a good BTC address then I could be in contact with the guy to ask him the correct btc address or to get my decryption key.
As I can put a message for any BTC transaction, my main solution should be to have a contact with this guy.

What do you think ? Do you have a valid BTC address, please ?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

There is no contacting them via Bitcoin

The only way to get your key, is the unique ransom BTC address, without that even the hackers do not know your decryption key
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Geraud W wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:25 pm What do you think ? Do you have a valid BTC address, please ?
There have been literally dozens of them posted already in this thread. But, as pointed out, there is no way to contact them. They only look for the BTC transaction and send back a key when the ransom is paid via the blockchain.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
Geraud W
New here

Post by Geraud W »

If I found the SSDPd.bin file, how can I get the ransom BTC address ?
I'll try to use a data recovery tool because the FW update has removed it.

I hope it'll work.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

description on what could be done with the SSDPd.bin was already posted further up

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... on/page-38
Gaudi
Easy as a breeze

Post by Gaudi »

Hi, I have been closely following the thread to secure my unit. So far I have followed all the recommended steps.
There are a couple of things that are still unclear to me, and perhaps you could help me to clarify:
  • Is the access through myQNAPCloud secure (selecting Open Desktop from my myQNAPCloud dashboard, which points to https://c11a.myqnapcloud.com/cgi-bin/)?
  • Are other services aside from Web Administration or Web Server suceptible to attack (FTP server, for example)?
I have recently

Thank you!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Anything that forwards ports to your NAS is a direct attack vector, so using the QNAP DDNS service with port forwards will expose your NAS (even without the DDNS your NAS is exposed)

Only the QNAP relay service (Cloudlink) or VPN access (does not cost anything) does not directly expose your NAS.. there is mitigation techniques like reverse proxies or application control firewalls, but we leave them out
jaysona
Been there, done that

Post by jaysona »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:32 am .... there is mitigation techniques like reverse proxies or application control firewalls, but we leave them out
A reverse proxy will not protect against malware, as the reverse proxy still makes the QTS Admin webpage and all of its vulnerability accessible from the Internet. All a reverse proxy does is hide the public IP address of the NAS and some reverse proxies can mitigate DDoS attacks, credential stuffing attacks, brute force attacks, etc.

I know of no WAF (Web Application Firewall) that provide any sort of security protection for consumer NAS admin interface such as QNAP.
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-872x (i7-8700. 64GB) (Plex server & encoding host) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6706T (32GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AX86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 3004.388.6_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC66U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.12_6
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Well if the exploits are based on common attacks (QNAP sadly never really discloses the attack vectors in their CVEs) some reverse proxy configurations can be set with WAF

https://www.nginx.com/learn/waf-web-app ... -firewall/
https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity

But I have never tried them out .. only see them mentioned occasionally in these malware topics .. hence I left them out :wink:
jaysona
Been there, done that

Post by jaysona »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:00 am Well if the exploits are based on common attacks (QNAP sadly never really discloses the attack vectors in their CVEs) some reverse proxy configurations can be set with WAF

https://www.nginx.com/learn/waf-web-app ... -firewall/
https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity

But I have never tried them out .. only see them mentioned occasionally in these malware topics .. hence I left them out :wink:
All of the highly successful malware attacks against QNAP have been due to QNAP specific code being exploited, in those cases a reverse proxy does not provide any security protection. A ReverseProxy/WAF does not offer security protection against hard coded credentials, improper authentication token passing, etc.

ModSecurity is 20 years old now, is great for other types of web security stuff that is not relavent to QTS. Also, ModSecurity is nearing depreciation and should not be used anymore. ModSecurity has no rules for QTS Admin webpage and therefore can not perform any sort of intelligent HTML parsing of the data between the QTS Admin page webserver and the client.

As for CVE, well, QNAP has never published any CVE (aside from the hard coded credential thingy, iirc) for their code, they issue a QSA for their code - which goes to show just how disingenuous QNAP really is when it comes to security. The majority of the QNAP CVE numbers assigned are due to 3rd party code that QNAP relies on such as PHP, OpenSSL, smdb, etc. They want to look like they're doing something about security, but in reality they're trying to hide as much as they can.

Only time will tell if QNAP will improve on their disclosures or not. There are many bug hunters that are really quite ** off with QNAP because of how draconian QNAP tried to be with the people that disclose vulnerabilities to QNAP. There is a growing sentiment in the bug hunter community that QNAP has basically squandered any goodwill that is left.
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-872x (i7-8700. 64GB) (Plex server & encoding host) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

jaysona wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:29 am All of the highly successful malware attacks against QNAP have been due to QNAP specific code being exploited,...
I'm not trying to get into a "dispute" over details, but would comment that Deadbolt, as an example, which certainly has been successful, seems (to me at least) to have found a vulnerability in some "common" element that a number of vendors have used as at least 3 have been vulnerable. It would seem that something in the Linux distro used would make more sense rather than something QNAP specific. Not trying to defend them really, and it's hard to know based on available information whether this is the case or if multiple intrusion vectors were used to launch the same or similar payloads across the various platforms.

In any case, it is unfortunate the degree of success (and therefore damage inflicted) that they've (the hackers) had.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
jaysona
Been there, done that

Post by jaysona »

dosborne wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:54 am ... some "common" element ...
Absoloutely
... something in the Linux distro used ...
Not at all.

QTS and ADM are extremely different builds of Linux, ADM has a proper user space, has a root user, su, sudo, etc. The common element is that the web administration interfaces use a poorly written cgi-bin with improper checking which permits authentication bypass.
RAID is not a Back-up!

atlantis2000
Starting out

Post by atlantis2000 »

Greetings...i am about to pay the ransom. Just want to make sure the hackers have been giving out keys RECENTLY. Please advise. Thanks.
atlantis2000
Starting out

Post by atlantis2000 »

Also, what are the steps for making the payment via blockchain.com? Thanks.

Return to “Users' Corner”