QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
fahad11fahad
New here

Re: QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Post by fahad11fahad »

dosborne wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:50 am
fahad11fahad wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:32 am Can you know the problem I have؟
I think what he was trying to ask is:

If you have started at the beginning of this topic, have you tried all the possible fixes or steps? If you have, which ones, and what did or did not work? You haven't given is any information yet to work with to help you resolve your problem, you have just started that you have the same problem as this topic deals with.
Thank you, I have not done anything until now. I want to know what the problem is
fahad11fahad
New here

Post by fahad11fahad »

I did not do anything
Beginning of the operation of my device, listen to a whistle. Lighting is green and the fan is working
fahad11fahad
New here

Post by fahad11fahad »

System Booting, Status Green, Lan Flashing, Both Disks Green, Single Beep and
Decompressing Linux ... Persing Elf ... Done. Booting The Kernel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lhpineapple
New here

Post by lhpineapple »

fahad11fahad wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:34 am System Booting, Status Green, Lan Flashing, Both Disks Green, Single Beep and
Decompressing Linux ... Persing Elf ... Done. Booting The Kernel.
I just wanted to let people know that I have a TS-451 and encountered the exact stuck screen from the post above. My TS-451 was unfortunately also suffering from the dreaded celeron chip issue (e.g. search for LPC-CN1). When I implemented the 100 ohm fix per the thread below, the operating system booted.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=157459

Let me explain in detail the state of my unit so that others may benefit from it.

1) One day (6-7 years in), my TS-451 was shut off. When I tried to turn it on, I got a status light and 4 red HDD lights. No output to HDMI.

2) With the hard drives in, if I unplugged then plugged in the power, it would automatically turn on to this state without me pushing the "On" button. No beep.

3) I removed the hard drives, opened it up to inspect, but made no permanent changes. I decided to power up without the hard drives or case and got the same lights, but got a beep and stuck on the exact screen above reading "Booting the kernel"

4) Knowing that I had to fix the chip issue anyway, I implemented the 100 ohm fix on LPC-CN1 by installing a 100 0hm resistor. I brought the voltage down from 2.2V to about 1.65V.

5) After the fix, my TS-451 successfully booted the operating system.
Qurious
First post

Post by Qurious »

Thanks for all these good advices within this thread! My TS-453 pro stopped working 6 days ago. And for good reason I had not updated the device since several years anymore as I had too much trouble with newer software versions, including that DLNA Twonky was discontinued. That ** a lot and because of that I sold my DLNA Hifi audio renderer, too.

I ordered a TS-453D as replacement which is by far not comparable in build quality. Nevertheless, I swapped the HDDs into the new case and after 15 min all things were up again. Puuh! Let's see how long this will last.

Then I put the 100 Ohm resistor in the broken TS-453 pro as described in this thread without HDDs inserted and it booted up again! I will now put some old 3TB drives into it and use it as an additional backup system that usually is turned off and disconnected.

And without rhyme or reason I purchased a TS-873a now. Would have make more sense to spend no longer any money to this rubbish from QNAPped.
My TS-453 was from Oct 2015, so at least not 7 years old! Someone could expect that an electronics device should at least last 10 years. Especially because I bought a pro Version with a reasonable build quality.

I only registered here in the hope that QNAP sees the long list of complaints and make them clear that they are a really ** company that don't care about their customers.

I could rant a lot here, but there is no alternative except building up a completely own design with TRUENas or something similar. Also Synology is having same problems and also have bad software. But unfortunatelly I have not that time to create something by myself.

Again, I'm really thankful that this forum exists as my last backup was some months ago.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

QNAP does not come here ..so if you want QNAP to see your issues..open a ticket

btw..twonky still works (you just have to pay for it)

Oh and revamp your backup strategy
weirdgod
New here

Post by weirdgod »

Hi all.

I also revived my 453-pro using 100 Ohm resistor.

I am curious about the longevity of this hack. Can guys who did so 1-2 years ago comment whether their 453-pro's still work? If not - how long after the resistor hack did it happen?
kochlik
Starting out

Post by kochlik »

Hello all, here comes another member of SYSTEM BOOTING>>>> club. My problem is very similar thou on a different device type. I wanted to ask you for your opinion before I throw away my brick. I have been through this whole thread and many others and believe I have exhausted all the options.
I have TVS-473 from 2017. I'm (was) running the latest firmware 5.0.0.2055 build 20220531. I have 3 HDDs, 2 in mirror (WD RED 2 TB), 1 single disk (6TB HDD WD RED) and the QM2-2P PCIe card with 2 NVMe SSDs 0,5 TB also in mirror.

After coming back from vacation NAS was down which seemed strange as it is set to come back to life after power is restored. NAS is on UPS. Once I started the device again it was able to rebuild the mirror on SSDs and check all other volumes. During the night it went off completely again. Next day I was able to boot but NAS froze during volume checks. From this time on all started to degrade quite quickly.
First, I hooked up HDMI monitor to see the boot process. It took significantly longer than usual, but still booted. NAS froze and restarted in about ~15mins. I have removed all the HDD drives and tried to start only with SSDs where the system is located. It took ~5 mins to freeze. Then removed also PCIe cards. After several retries, I ended up without POST beeps, just SYSTEM BOOTING >>>>. NAS has 16 GB of memory so I also tried various combinations of memory modules to eliminate possible memory issues. Here I have to admit I have no other device where I could confirm that any of the 4 memory modules is actually working.
No change in behavior even after removing remaining devices namely DOM, backplane, fans. Still no POST beeps so I changed the power source (using generic ATX power supply) just for mainboard. The situation did not change a bit.

This leads me to the conclusion that either CPU or motherboard is fried. Is there anything else I could try to do to bring it back to life? I have also tested voltage on the LPC_CN1 pin, but mine shows 1.7V on the meter so I did not go through the resistor soldering idea.
For what is worth there is a LED light on motherboard the turns green when on power. The NAS LEDs are as following:
green for both SSDs
2 greens for bay 1, 2
2 unlit for bay 3, 4 although these are occupied too. In bay 4 I have inserted a spare disk. The idea was to install a clean system on disk in bay 4. This idea never materialized as you can see...
status LED - off/unlit
LAN - on/orange
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Besides the default SYSTEM BOOTING>>>> message of the display controller, your NAS has a different CPU, so the LPC bug is out of the question.

So due to exhaustion of all other options, I'd say .. RIP NAS
kochlik
Starting out

Post by kochlik »

good point dolbyman, thank you. It shows how desperate I was to fix it...
fahad11fahad
New here

Post by fahad11fahad »

Can anyone highlight where the 100-ohm resistor should be soldered on the TvS-463 ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

463 is an AMD device..no LPC bug on that..hence no resistor fix is needed
fahad11fahad
New here

Post by fahad11fahad »

dolbyman wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:19 am 463 is an AMD device..no LPC bug on that..hence no resistor fix is needed
Thank you, my friend, please, please tell me what happened on my device
What do I do . Is the device a malfunction and needs repair, or is it dead?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Impossible to say from here,open a ticket with QNAP or contact an electronics expert.
marklyn
Getting the hang of things

Post by marklyn »

Just applied the hardware fix to my TS-453Pro and it worked. I even used a 100 Ohm 1/4 watt (brown) and it worked. I have a TS-453D on order to replace this; here's hoping it doesn't happen to that one!
TS453Pro, Network: Single port, 8Gb RAM
PC OS: WIndows 10 home
4 TB ST4000VX007 X2 (RAID1) Volume 1
4 TB ST4000VX007 X1 (JBOD) Volume 2
6 TB ST6000VX007 X1 (JBOD) Volume 3

Return to “Users' Corner”