A System Failure Occurred (I am just complaining)

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

A System Failure Occurred (I am just complaining)

Post by Bob Zelin »

I torment many people with legit issues on these forums - but I got to tell you, I also empathize with them at the same time.

One of my test systems is an older TS-251+, running QTS 5.0.0.1986. I had a 16 bay expander, where all the drives went into "Error" so I decided to reformat all of them, one at a time on my TS-251+. By the time I got up to drive 14, and needed to "remove volume" and get the drive out, the TS-251+ would become unresponsive. I ultimately just pulled out the drives, and did a re-install (twice) - and both times, the same issue occurred. I eventually started to get "A System Failure Occurred - The Device has insufficient System Storage. Check the Following Settings: System Disk Partition".

Which I did - and there is nothing on these drives - not the single "boot" drive, or the empty one, that I am erasing (the drive 1 has the QTS - OS - about 16 Gig on a 500 Gig drive). So I figure, the drive is failing, go thru the rebuild process with a different drive - and same problem.

I google this error, and find everyone's wonderful answers on this forum which range back for quite some time. I simply go to QTS 5.0.0.1932, do a manual rebuild with this older firmware - and no more problems.

I can't really blame QNAP for not checking every the newer firmware for "no longer available" product - but it's still frustrating.

And let's face it - who else can I complain to - if not for you guys !

Bob
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
qnmrj
Starting out

Re: A System Failure Occurred (I am just complaining)

Post by qnmrj »

Same error. Just upgraded to QTS 5.0.1.2145 from QTS 4.x. TS-453A. Keep getting "A system failure occurred. The device has insufficient system storage. Check the following settings: System Disk Partition"

What to do?
- Do I need to roll back to QTS 5.0.0.1932, or
- Is there a QTS 5.0.1.x that doesn't have this issue, or
- Is there a fix I'm not finding on google or the forums, that you could point me too? My google and forum searches led me here.

Google Search: QTS "A system failure occurred" "The device has insufficient system storage" "Check the following settings" "System Disk Partition"
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

There are some posts in German user forum with same error.
Best is, create a ticket at QNAP support.
Issue seems to be occuring at some models, i.e. at mine TS-473A all is fine with v5.0.1.2145.

Regards
webminster
New here

Post by webminster »

I'm getting this too, I just chatted with QNAP support. Tell me it's a known issue. Told me to remove SSD profile tool. Did help. SSH in and did a df, and /mnt/ext is 100%. After SSD profile tool removed, dropped to 99% but at least scary message stopped for now. They say it's be fixed in next release.
-Alan

EDIT: this on a TS-873A.
qnmrj
Starting out

Post by qnmrj »

Thanks for the tip. Raised a ticket with QNAP support awaiting feedback. SSD Profiling tool is not installed (failed to install during the upgrade). df via SSH shows /dev/md13 on /mnt/ext is 100% (415.7M of 417.0M used). Not sure what that means or if it's a problem. Maybe support will know.
heh74
New here

Post by heh74 »

I have same issues TS873 and TVS873, df via SSH shows /dev/md13 on /mnt/ext is 100%
SSD Profiling drops usage to 99%.
All applications except firewall and malware remover are uninstalled, everything disabled except iscsi.
Logs are truncated too but it has no effect...still 99%

One TS873 reaches 100%, drops login via GUI and ssh...
Factory reset give it back to live but some snapshot replicas were gone...
urukhai
Starting out

Post by urukhai »

Same issues on my TS-453D and TS-251. /dev/md13 is almost 100%. When I look at the content of /mnt/ext.
--- /mnt/ext/opt -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/..
69.0 MiB [########################] /samba
51.1 MiB [################# ] /mariadb
47.0 MiB [################ ] /apache
36.8 MiB [############ ] /lang
30.4 MiB [########## ] /NotificationCenter
25.6 MiB [######## ] /netmgr
22.0 MiB [####### ] /wifi
18.2 MiB [###### ] /chassisView
16.6 MiB [##### ] /QuLog
15.9 MiB [##### ] /mtpBinary
12.2 MiB [#### ] /source
11.6 MiB [#### ] /Python
6.4 MiB [## ] /ffmpeg

They are really QNAP built-in objects and Reboots or disabling application will not help.
QNAP software quality is very disappointing: :oops:
qnmrj
Starting out

Post by qnmrj »

qnmrj wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:18 am Thanks for the tip. Raised a ticket with QNAP support awaiting feedback. SSD Profiling tool is not installed (failed to install during the upgrade). df via SSH shows /dev/md13 on /mnt/ext is 100% (415.7M of 417.0M used). Not sure what that means or if it's a problem. Maybe support will know.
So QNAP support got back to me within a day with this:
Thank you for contacting QNAP support. Our developers are currently aware of this issue. What you can do to alleviate this issue is to open up app center and remove SSD Profiling tool. Once you do this, relog and see if the error still occur
So ... get this ... the SSD profiler was never installed on my box. It failed during firmware upgrade. And the error keeps popping every time I reconnect to the web interface.

So, because nothing ever makes sense, I decided to INSTALL the SSD Profiler ... and ... no surprise I have no SSDs and the error kept happening.

My /mnt/ext/ is still almost 100% full.

Then, I uninstalled the SSD profiler, and I uninstalled a few other things that I don't think I need, getting my /mnt/ext down to about 98% full.

Now, the error doesn't happen.

So, is it possible to replace the system drive on these things with something bigger? I certainly would like capacity for a few more apps, even if I don't need the SSD profiler.
urukhai
Starting out

Post by urukhai »

So, is it possible to replace the system drive on these things with something bigger? I certainly would like capacity for a few more apps, even if I don't need the SSD profiler.
If I understand correctly, there's no system drive. They just make a "system partition" out of your harddisk that is too small now.

I don't know who can be brave enough to remove the notification centre since it can release tens of MB according to my breakdown above
qnmrj
Starting out

Post by qnmrj »

urukhai wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:46 am

If I understand correctly, there's no system drive. They just make a "system partition" out of your harddisk that is too small now.

I don't know who can be brave enough to remove the notification centre since it can release tens of MB according to my breakdown above
So, is it possible to re-partition the system partition? I certainly would like capacity for a few more apps, even if I don't need the SSD profiler.
urukhai
Starting out

Post by urukhai »

qnmrj wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:29 pm So, is it possible to re-partition the system partition? I certainly would like capacity for a few more apps, even if I don't need the SSD profiler.
We better not to tamper the system partition and leave the issue to QNAP. After all QNAP is proprietary.
The system partition stores core packages that are required for system boots. All other "user" packages/apps are installed on your own hard disks so you can go as far as you like.
loffler
New here

Post by loffler »

I also have the "insufficient system storage error" on TS-251 with 5.0.1.2145. Never had an issue on 5.0.0
Never had SSD profiler installed either, so what else is safe to remove to make space?
urukhai
Starting out

Post by urukhai »

loffler wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:55 pm I also have the "insufficient system storage error" on TS-251 with 5.0.1.2145. Never had an issue on 5.0.0
Never had SSD profiler installed either, so what else is safe to remove to make space?
Try to remove QBoost.It will release 1Mb, which help just a little.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Deleted...double posted :geek:
Last edited by FSC830 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Just released:

QTS 5.0.1.2173 build 20221001
which should fix the issue.

Release Notes:

2022-10-04
Applicable Models

HS-251+,S2
QMiroPlus-201W
Mustang-F100,Mustang-V100,Mustang-200-i7-1T-32G-R10,Mustang-200-i5-1T-32G-R10,Mustang-200-C-8G-R10,Mustang-200

Show more
Fixed Issues

Fixed an issue that might cause system failure due to insufficient storage space on the system partition.
Fixed an issue where the NCSI (Network Connectivity Status Indicator) service did not check enough servers for verifying network connectivity, causing false network disconnection warnings.

Known Issues

QTS and QuTS hero with newer kernel versions do not support ATTO Fibre Channel adapters. If you have already installed an ATTO Fibre Channel adapter on your device, we do not recommend updating the firmware to QTS 5.0.1 or QuTS hero h5.0.1 for the time being.
Thunderbolt connection between the NAS and Mac sometimes cannot automatically resume after users restart the NAS.
Users cannot connect to the destination NAS of a Snapshot Replica job if their usernames contain a space.
After waking up from sleep, the TS-x51 and TS-x53 models cannot detect external drives that do not support sleep mode.
Network connection issues may occur when users add both 10 GbE ports of the QXG-10G2SF-CX4 network expansion card to a virtual switch.
Users sometimes cannot switch between different FEC (Forward Error Correction) modes for the QXG-25G2SF-CX6LX network expansion card.
On some earlier NAS models with ARM processors, heavy I/O operations may cause network connection issues for the QNA-UC5G1T USB-to-Ethernet adapter.
The TS-453D cannot detect the TL-WN823N wireless USB adapter.

Return to “Users' Corner”