[Guide] [UniFi Network Controller] docker install using container station 2022

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

[Guide] [UniFi Network Controller] docker install using container station 2022

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

*updated
29/12/2022

With Drauku's help we created a better docker compose to install unifi controller using portainer. We simplified the process for joining the macvlan network, and also assigning the static lan ip used by unifi controller web ui. So now, we no longer need to do the previous crude method for getting that to work. However for initial setup of the macvlan, you still have to do that manually as shown in the youtube video in the post link below.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=168608&start=15#p835984

archived
*update

I've figured out how to setup unifi controller docker using docker. And to set a static ip for it (so you are not forced to use the nas ip). Skip straight to this post that explains everything in order to set that up. The earlier posts before this one is pretty much outdated since now i got a perfect working solution that i'm satisfied with to replace the previous attempts :D

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=168608&p=835245#p835245

If you want to use qpkg, there is one here (this is the most simplest hassle free method). But if you want to try the docker app method, read on.
viewtopic.php?f=320&t=139875

What is unifi network controller?

Basically it's a app you host on your own server, so you can manage ubiquiti unifi devices like switches, wireless access points etc. I personally use a unifi ap lite, so thats what i am using this app for. With this app i can configure and update the unifi ap device.

So with this app you can do that without requiring any sort of cloud service (some brands like putting you on cloud subscription models. but with unifi network controller (for tplink theirs is called omada? it's basically the same thing/purpose) you can avoid that and manage/update locally without having to opt for some ridiculous paid subscription model which we all hate :mrgreen:

an alternative to the qnap qpkgs is using the docker app in container station. The benefit of doing so, then you don't have to wait on qnap releasing the update qpkgs for the newer version. sometimes they release it a bit too slow. Or maybe in the far future they stop releasing it altogether.

but a more recent example, when qnapclub.eu became inaccessible, or when the forum here did not release the update on time, so could not update for a while. had to hop on discord and grab the qpkg manually from a trusted moderator who had the update on him. but nobody available to fix the qnapclub.eu server because they were away on holiday. so in that kind of situation, if you want to avoid that, then docker unifi controller may be the way to go. below is a guide by qnap how to do that.

Configuring a UNIFI CONTROLLER on your QNAP NAS using Container Station
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXLV_5_-7Lo

in the video they use this one *i'm assuming this one is safe because qnap recommended it, and it has a lot of downloads and stars. dyor
https://hub.docker.com/r/jacobalberty/unifi

Code: Select all

jacobalberty/unifi
Unifi-in-Docker (unifi-docker)
This repo contains a Dockerized version of Ubiqiti Network's Unifi Controller.

Why bother? Using Docker, you can stop worrying about version hassles and update notices for Unifi Controller, Java, or your OS. A Docker container wraps everything into one well-tested bundle.

To install, a couple lines on the command-line starts the container. To upgrade, just stop the old container, and start up the new. It's really that simple.

This container has been tested on Ubuntu, Debian, macOS, Windows, and even Raspberry Pi hardware.
Upgrading Unifi Controller
All the configuration and other files created by Unifi Controller are stored on the Docker host's local disk (~/unifi by default.) No information is retained within the container. An upgrade to a new version of Unifi Controller simply retrieves a new Docker container, which then re-uses the configuration from the local disk. The upgrade process is:

MAKE A BACKUP on another computer, not the Docker host (Always, every time...)
Stop the current container (see above)
Enter docker run... with the newer container tag (see Supported Tags below.)
Guide
How to create a backup of the UniFi Controller config
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO3qfoYBfRM

How to Really Backup Unifi *this one is a more lengthier explanation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvRuDD_ARfQ

*update

Above is a youtube video guide for setting unifi docker up, but i will be using this one below instead. because the youtube guide neglect to mention how to add a persistent config using "mount to host" to retain your previously setup config without it getting wiped upon each update.

However this guide below uses unifi docker as a root user, so keep that in mind. If you want to setup for NON-ROOT user then you best look elsewhere, although i did leave sufficient leads/hints so you can pursue that further on your own. so the best this guide below does, is lets you update unifi controller without having to wait for the qpkg maintainer to release an update for it (sometimes they release slowly, so this approach solves that somewhat). However sadly this guide omits the part for configuring as non root user, so you miss out that security benefit for tightening down.

and just a reminder, if you had previously setup/used unifi controller QPKG, i strongly recommend you DISABLE but DO NOT remove. This is so that in the event the docker app is not satisfactory for you, you can disable/remove docker app, then re-enable to qpkg app. So no fuss. And as always, plz backup your unifi controller settings within the app

And just to reiterate, some of the settings i used in the posts below may be outdated and not what i currently used due to trial and error while exploring the usage/setup of the app. So just follow the guide in this link below, because that is the exact setting i am currently using.

so i was double checking the settings with a different guide. they also noted about the root user situation, but they opted to use the root user mode (this is what i will also be using cause then it's one less thing for me to figure out. but hopefully i left you enough leads so you can follow through on that if you want to go for a non root mode setup)

the other thing this author mentions is how he also suggested using "volume from host" *which is also what i am doing. I assume the reason why he does this is so that config will persist after upgrading? But will still backup config BEFORE each update just in case that is not the case.

https://my-doodads.com/qnap-nas-how-to- ... r-station/

you can try it out while retaining the other qpkg version (example, i backup config. turn off the qpkg, install the docker, import the config, then just use. then when update comes, test the upgrade method to see if it works as it should. if i am happy with it, continue using, if not, just stop and remove the docker app, then click start run for the previous unifi qpkg app).

that's what i am planning to do for myself :)

i've already tried something similar but using truenas for testing. but now want to use the container docker app on qnap qts, since that's my main nas. there is nothing particularly bad to keep using the qpkg approach if you prefer, but if you want to try the docker app method, then the youtube video explains how.

there is a newer container station v3 which is beta, this is what i am using. but if you are using for production and don't want to beta, then probably use the existing v2.

https://www.qnap.com/en/software/container-station#beta
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 10 times in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: [Guide] [UniFi Network Controller] docker install using container station 2022

*update

reading video comments
Anti_Gov
1 year ago

Don't install this way, because you'll run into the issue with the next update.

There are two sensible ways to set it up.
1. Use Portainer ce by creating a yaml file (inside create Volume) in Stack section, after that, all you have to do is to click deploy, and you are seamlessly up-to-date. (Not tested as I run Portainer and Agents on all my Proxmox nodes.
2. QNAP native solution.(Tested)

In File Station create a new shared Folder (e.g. Containers) inside create UniFi.

Now, go to the Container Station look for Unifi (follow video instructions).

Advanced Settings:
Network: set a Bridge mode, IP and gateway.

Now, go to Shared Folders

Push the "Add" button in the middle and

add under the "Volume from host"

Host Path your new created Container folder. On the right side under the Mount Point add /unifi

Now, you are ready to create updatable Unifi container by removing the Unifi container but do not delete anonymous volume.
Good luck.

Posted by
u/N01kyz
5 days ago

Unifi Controller on QNAP Container Station - Lost config

Hello everyone,

My home ubiquiti setup uses a Unifi contoller (jacobalberty) operating from the QNAP Container Station.

I wanted to set the IP of the Unifi Container to a different range so I went into the settings and enabled static IP.

The container rebooted and when I tried to access the IP, it came up with the "Name Your Controller" page. That wouldn't be bad but unfortunately, I forgot to download a backup of the controller configuration.

I reverted back the IP to DHCP but it seems that the mac address is always random since it looks to be different each time.

Accessing the IP of the controller just takes me to the new setup page of Ubiquiti.

I noticed that the image name keeps increasing:

Image: jacobalberty/unifi:latest-data-4

Does anybody know how I can retrieve my backup/configs that exist on the controller? I know I have backups occurring on the unifi controller, but those remain within the platform.

I've attached a few screenshot of what my setup looks like.

Anybody run into this issue before? I find it odd that restarting the controller/adjusting the IP has caused it to clear or not locate the initial config file.

Screenshots:

https://imgur.com/a/raLvoks
okachobii
4 days ago

Agreed with others- with containers you'll need to map a location into the container's filesystem where it stores configs so that they persist between container rebuilds or reinstalls. On the docker command line, its the -v switch, but in container station I think they let you configure these in the gui. I don't use container station except to view my containers.

If you don't want the headache of recreating containers for updates, you might consider getting the Unifi controller QPKG from:https://www.qnapclub.eu/en/qpkg/394

I've run it now for a couple years. The author updates it periodically and upgrades have always worked perfectly for me. It sometimes lags behind the controller releases by a month or so, but I'm sure if you tip the maintainer it would get updated more frequently.
Lieut_Dang
4 days ago

Are you keeping your volume data separate from the container data?

Sounds like you aren't, you rebuilt the container and therefore the config was wiped.

N01kyz
4 days ago

Well, as I'm a noob with containers I may be causing my own issues.

I didn't realize that changing the IP addressing in the container settings and a reboot would have caused this.

I ended up rebuilding the unifi controller last night and made a backup but I'm not sure how I can point the container to save configs to an additional location. I guess I'll have to dig more into this.

Lieut_Dang
4 days ago

We all start somewhere :)

The docker Get Started guide has a section on Persisting Data.
https://docs.docker.com/get-started/05_persisting_data/

Also, the Docker Overview of the image you're using makes specific references to the -v option, which is where you can map a chosen directory on your device to /unifi in the container.

This functionality is one of the beauties of docker containers. You can "reinstall" an app without having to configure the app again afterward.

https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... tion_lost/

in short, to setup docker, does seem to require a bit more digging. but like some suggested if you don't have the time to figure it out, just use the qpkg it is easier to use especially for newbies.

it's a bit alarming that the qnap youtube guide based on the info after doing research, seems to be incomplete. i hope they rectify their video, because in the current state doesn't seem practical unless they walk through all the steps (which apparently some is missing).

anyway other useful faqs i found that may help for the setup

https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... r_station/

@OP: just use Container Station. Within Container Station you can directly search for Docker Containers and install them directly. (Like Plex, pihole or whatever you want to use) The advanced settings give you access to configuration of Network and Storage volumes (network would be Bridge, just define the proper ports; volumes can me manually matched to your likings and the docker requirements)

Once you manage to work with container station, look into how to deploy container via docker compose. Once you have accomplished that you can look into running portainer to manage your containers. It’s difficult to install portainer on QNAP without docker-compose via CLI. So just get comfortable with Container station first.
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... r_dummies/

A few people mentioned to me portainer is better. but i just use the default container station since it seems sufficient enough for me. but if you want to check on using portainer feel free to do so :mrgreen:
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: [Guide] [UniFi Network Controller] docker install using container station 2022

so to my own understanding based on what i read (correct me if i am wrong)

the unifi storage should reside outside the default container folder? so that's why i created another. then i point the /unifi to it.

double checking the documentation it says this
Volumes
Unifi looks for the /unifi directory (within the container) for its special purpose subdirectories:

/unifi/data This contains your UniFi configuration data. (formerly: /var/lib/unifi)

/unifi/log This contains UniFi log files (formerly: /var/log/unifi)

/unifi/cert Place custom SSL certs in this directory. For more information regarding the naming of the certificates, see Certificate Support. (formerly: /var/cert/unifi)

/unifi/init.d You can place scripts you want to launch every time the container starts in here

/var/run/unifi Run information, in general you will not need to touch this volume. It is there to ensure UniFi has a place to write its PID files
sauce
https://hub.docker.com/r/jacobalberty/unifi#volumes

Persist the todo data
By default, the todo app stores its data in a SQLite Database at /etc/todos/todo.db in the container’s filesystem. If you’re not familiar with SQLite, no worries! It’s simply a relational database in which all of the data is stored in a single file. While this isn’t the best for large-scale applications, it works for small demos. We’ll talk about switching this to a different database engine later.

With the database being a single file, if we can persist that file on the host and make it available to the next container, it should be able to pick up where the last one left off. By creating a volume and attaching (often called “mounting”) it to the directory the data is stored in, we can persist the data. As our container writes to the todo.db file, it will be persisted to the host in the volume.

As mentioned, we are going to use a named volume. Think of a named volume as simply a bucket of data. Docker maintains the physical location on the disk and you only need to remember the name of the volume. Every time you use the volume, Docker will make sure the correct data is provided.
sauce
https://docs.docker.com/get-started/05_persisting_data/

so my assumption here, is when updating the unifi docker app, it will recreate it, but won't wipe your config. Not sure if necessary, but may need to relink the mount to the one i created so it knows the unifi config is there and not the default.

so this is what i came up with

*basically using static ip, and my own custom port. the consensus here is to use bridge mode, and set a static ip. whether you should use custom port no idea, but that's what i did

*here i deleted the original one, added my own pointing elsewhere

and this was the summary of the storage location

will be testing this out and seeing if it works as i assumed it would :'

if it doesn't work out, i can just enable my unifi qpkg (so no i don't plan to uninstall that just yet. just disable is sufficient for now)
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

*update

so this is what i found out so far

using my own custom port didn't work. but leaving it at 8080, so then using the static ip:8080 worked. no idea why my own custom port didn't work but thats the result

other troubleshooting, look at the container station commandline window, it will show any errors. in my case i noticed 2.

1. it warns about running in insecure root *still researching on solution to this

<docker-entrypoint> WARNING: Running UniFi in insecure (root) mode

possible leads how to retain data and set the volume mounts properly
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... ersistent/
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... ning_data/

2. i get this *but based on what he said, probably can ignore this

WARN Unable to load properties from '/usr/lib/unifi/data/system.properties' - /usr/lib/unifi/data/system.properties (No such file or directory)
jacobalberty commented on Dec 22, 2021
the /usr/lib/unifi/data/system.properties is a red herring error message it's safe to ignore, it will be created when it's needed.

Your volumes don't look quite right though. It should be in /unifi not in /var/lib.
I believe you want to map your existing folder to /unifi/data when moving from /var/lib/unifi but i would need to see the directory contents of what you have mapped to /var/lib/unifi first to confirm.

Now even without addressing that it should still at least start and give you the new installation screen. What might help for diagnostics is map a folder to /unifi/log/log and post the contents of server.log (or at least any error messages)
sauce
https://community.ui.com/questions/WARN ... f6fb92c330
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

testing if saved config persists or not

so when u enter the unifi controller first time, you create new or import a saved config. so i'm importing saved config since this is my first time running the app.

Upgrading Unifi Controller
All the configuration and other files created by Unifi Controller are stored on the Docker host's local disk (~/unifi by default.) No information is retained within the container. An upgrade to a new version of Unifi Controller simply retrieves a new Docker container, which then re-uses the configuration from the local disk. The upgrade process is:

MAKE A BACKUP on another computer, not the Docker host (Always, every time...)

Stop the current container (see above)

Enter docker run... with the newer container tag (see Supported Tags below.)
Supported Tags
You can choose the version of Unifi Controller in the docker run ... command. In Docker terminology, these versions are specified by "tags".

For example, in this project the container named jacobalberty/unifi (with no "tag") provides the most recent stable release. See the table below for the current version.

The rc tag (for example, jacobalberty/unifi:rc) uses the most recent Release Candidate from the UniFi APT repository.

You may also specify a version number (e.g., jacobalberty/unifi:stable6) to get a specific version number, as shown in the table below.

Note: In Docker, specifying an image with no tag (e.g., jacobalberty/unifi) gets the "latest" tag. For Unifi-in-Docker, this uses the most recent stable version.

based on this, i assume that recreating the app will basically update it. so in container station v3, i click recreate

what is the difference between directly recreate and recreate?
Directly recreate a container

Use this action to recreate a stopped container using the previous settings.
Recreate a container

Use this action to recreate a stopped container using modified settings.
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... -station-3

so what i think this means, even if u click recreate container, but you did not even modify anything, it still is the same like if u used directly recreate. whereas with directly recreate, it will do so without affording you the opportunity to make any changes whatsoever.

and when doing this, there is an option to pull the image first before recreating. i believe this should be ticked/enabled, so it will download the latest. otherwise it might just reuse the previously downloaded one (which is outdated is my assumption?)

Okay so i confirmed when you recreate, even when pulling image directly from repo before doing so, it still retains the configuration. so this to me confirms that the upgrade and retaining config works.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

i did another experiment, for how to switch branches from latest to rc.

i thought it would be possible to edit the solo unifi docker app and change the tag latest to rc, but that didn't work.

so instead i had to create a new docker app jacobalbert/unifi:rc

i then tried to see if i can reuse the existing config by pointing the volume to the retained folder i had set.

but apparently the config did not persist. so now i am wondering if when there is a new unifi controller update, will it really use the config from before? or will you have to restore config each time manually?

i don't know and will take a while to confirm this once an update comes out.

But for now, the safest option seems to be to backup everytime BEFORE updating. So as long as you do that it should be fine.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

investigating further why the commandline keeps warning about running as unsafe root user
Question / Issue Re: Running UniFi in insecure (root) mode #115
jacobalberty commented on Apr 23, 2018

There's an environment variable RUNAS_UID0 if you set it to false it will run it as a non root user. Eventually I plan to transition to using non root by default but there are compatibility issues with existing data (I can overcome this by just chowning the files if they're not owned by the proper uid) and issues with binding to ports lower than 1024 (a bit more difficult to overcome)
nxadm commented on Apr 24, 2018

An alternative is Docker user remapping. This means that while the program in the container run with uid 0 in the container, this uid is translated to a high uid, non privileged user on the host system.

This means you have the ease of using root in the container, and the security of using a non-root user (e.g. if someone could break out of the container).
https://github.com/jacobalberty/unifi-docker/issues/115

alphager
2 yr. ago

Which docker-image are you using? If you are using this one, it's as simple as passing the --user parameter. Don't forget to chown the data and log files to the correct user!

On the other hand: If your controller is at home and doesn't communicate with the internet, I'd let it stay as root. The attack surface is negligible.
https://www.reddit.com/r/UNIFI/comments ... _question/

so based on that, i'll just leave it as root for now. even if that's not ideal. i'm not doing any remote stuff, so it's probably ok for my situation. but for a proper setup, you need to investigate further by running it as non privileged user. if i find a solution i will post here the detailed steps.

*update
tomjdickson
2 yr. ago

Hey mate, know this is an old issue. Information on --user can be found on the link u/alphager provided (Jacob-alberty/unifi).

You just need to pass it in your docker run command.

Options on the Command Line

The options for the docker run... command are:

-v ... - Bind the volume ~/unifi on the Docker host to the directory /unifiinside the container. These instructions assume you placed the "unifi" directory in your home directory. If you created the directory elsewhere, modify the ~/unifi part of this option to match. See the Volumes discussion for other volumes used by Unifi Controller.

--user unifi - Run as a non-root user. See the Run as non-root User discussion below
Run as non-root User
The default container runs Unifi Controller as root. The recommended docker run... command above starts Unifi Controller so the image runs as unifi (non-root) user with the uid/gid 999/999. You can also set your data and logs directories to be owned by the proper gid.

Note: When you run as a non-root user, you will not be able to bind to lower ports by default. (This would not necessary if you are using the default ports.) If you must do this, also pass the --sysctl net.ipv4.ip_unprivileged_port_start=0 option on the docker run... to bind to whatever port you wish.
https://hub.docker.com/r/jacobalberty/u ... -root-user

*update

so i was double checking the settings with a different guide. they also noted about the root user situation, but they opted to use the root user mode (this is what i will also be using cause then it's one less thing for me to figure out. but hopefully i left you enough leads so you can follow through on that if you want to go for a non root mode setup)

the other thing this author mentions is how he also suggested using "volume from host" *which is also what i am doing. I assume the reason why he does this is so that config will persist after upgrading? But will still backup config BEFORE each update just in case that is not the case.

https://my-doodads.com/qnap-nas-how-to- ... r-station/
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Your Container Has Vulnerabilities. Now What?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-013I3bYDas

Container Security Explained
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_euX_M82uI

Docker Container Security 101: Risks and 33 Best Practices
https://www.stackrox.io/blog/docker-security-101/

interesting videos/links on the topic of security concerns. My only understanding on this matter, to limit the damage is to setup the container app as non root user. but in the unifi container guide linked they use it as root user, so yes there is that risk sure, but in a lan only setup, then the risk is probably not the same as when you expose your nas online, so that probably limits the risk.

just something to be mindful of i guess. also to always update
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

confirmed that restarting the QNAP, the config remains intact.

For the app setting, i suggest putting restart policy to "unless stopped", so the app will auto start when restarting your qnap.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

i guess if you needed another reason to use docker apps

https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... orrentpro/
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

just an update on unifi docker review

around 6 days ago, this new version was posted

UniFi Network Application 7.3.76
https://www.reddit.com/r/unifi_versions ... tion_7376/

but the unifi docker latest by jacobalberty it still has the older version

Current Stable: Version 7.2.94 as of 2022-09-21

https://github.com/jacobalberty/unifi-docker/
https://www.reddit.com/r/unifi_versions ... tion_7294/

and yet steph released an updated qpkg with the latest version a day ago
QNAP_Stephane wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:27 pm updated to 7.3.76

no more QJDK8 required (jdk11 is now embedded in qpkg)
viewtopic.php?f=320&t=139875&start=180#p833347

notes: for latest unifi controller qpkg, seems they are now using this site myqnap rather than qnapclub. No idea why the switch, but that's the situation if you plan to find the latest qpkg for the app. so don't bother looking at the old qnapclub repo
https://www.myqnap.org/product/unifi-controller/

so in this instance, the qpkg was updated sooner than the docker (the one i used by jacob anyway), credits to steph.

not sure how longer before jacob will update his docker app, but just wanted to point this out. because i saw a newer version of unifi-controller, so tried to to update the docker app, but the maintainer for the docker had yet to update it apparently.

so what is my solution in this situation? well i can turn off the docker app, then update/install the qpkg version of unifi-controller, then just use that while waiting for the docker to be updated. But i'm not really bothered to do that, just offered a possible solution if you must be on the latest and you can't wait for the docker maintainer to update it :D (if the situation were in reverse, it would still apply by switching over accordingly).

i'll stick to the docker app for now and see how this goes. but if updates take too long i may rethink that and go back to qpkg fulltime :(

*update

other users also asking when this update for the docker app by this maintainer will be released. nobody has any idea :'
https://github.com/jacobalberty/unifi-docker/issues/611
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

comparing setup to this synology guide to see how they did things differently.

in theirs they suggested setting to false. i assume this would set it to non root user?
10. Scroll down to see the BIND_PRIV (bind to lower ports) and RUNAS_UID0 (run as root) variables. These are set as true by default, but are not necessary (bind) or suggested (run as root), so set both of these values to false.

NOTE: If you receive a 404 error, wait a little longer as the container might not be finished setting up.
https://www.wundertech.net/self-host-th ... ology-nas/

but in the alberty unifi controller instructions on this matter
Run as non-root User

The default container runs Unifi Controller as root. The recommended docker run... command above starts Unifi Controller so the image runs as unifi (non-root) user with the uid/gid 999/999. You can also set your data and logs directories to be owned by the proper gid.

Note: When you run as a non-root user, you will not be able to bind to lower ports by default. (This would not necessary if you are using the default ports.) If you must do this, also pass the --sysctl net.ipv4.ip_unprivileged_port_start=0 option on the docker run... to bind to whatever port you wish.

*update

so tried it out but it broke the unifi-controller, it didn't load (or could be i didn't wait long enough after recreating, but i don't think that was it). if you plan to try go non root mode, just read albertys instructions and try that (and possibly check the discussion thread link below to troubleshoot). for myself i just left it as root mode since that just works right off the bat.

there is a discussion thread for setting up non root for unifi controller docker here if you want to find out yourself
https://github.com/jacobalberty/unifi-docker/issues/525
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

*update

not using albertys unifi.

instead using

linuxserver/unifi-controller
https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/unifi-controller

how to install the linuxserver docker app

step1:

use container station (i tried using portainer but i couldn't get it to work installing that way fyi)

click explorer, then type

then select latest

then click advance, modify volume.

delete the existing volume then add bind to host with read/write

*left side)

/share/Container/linuxserver-unifi
container *this is the right side

/config
then click deploy/create

step2:

To access the web url, refer to either container station or portainer to find the url then click on it to open in a new tab.

hopefully you backed up your previous unifi settings. procede to restore using that file which u can upload.

For maintenance, just recreate with first pull image enabled/ticked when doing so. And because you had setup the persistent volume, your config should carry over and not be erased. But just in case, still recommend to backup your unifi settings.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

I also did this unifi controller docker using container station V2 on a different qnap nas model (TBS-453DX). 100% verified working by me (tested it all out myself) :D

These are the steps to install for that.

step1:

install container station v2 (there is a newer v3 but it's beta)

then click create in cs v2 and put

select latest

then when it prompts for advance, click that. Here you need to modify a few things.

For network, select bridge. Then select static ip, then set a static ip e.g. if your qnap is on 192.168.0.xxxxx then set one for 192.168.0.xxx make sure nothing is using that ip *check your router DHCP server is configured correctly

next is to go to volume and add a bind mount

example mine i put

/share/Container/linuxserver-unifi/unifi

config

this gives your unifi persistent storage for after updating the app.

then click deploy

step2:

wait for it to finish install. eventually the url for the unifi docker app will be shown in cs v2. Click it.

This goes to the unifi setup page. If you backed up a previous unifi config, select that to restore

step3:

after waiting, your unifi should be back to working order, enjoy :}

*update

after reinitializing my qnap nas, my can setup unifi controller just fine no issues.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

I found a guide with a docker compose that adds a static ip (if you don't want to use the nas lan ip

version: "3"

services:
  unifi:
    container_name: unifi
    image: jacobalberty/unifi:latest
    volumes:
      - '/data/unifi/:/unifi'
    restart: unless-stopped
    networks:
      default:
        # static IP address for unifi controller
        ipv4_address: 172.16.1.2

networks:
  default:
    driver: bridge
    ipam:
     config:
       # your chosen docker network here
       - subnet: 172.16.1.0/24
https://help.firewalla.com/hc/en-us/art ... ta-?page=2

i don't know if it works or not, i haven't tested. so if you want to try there u are.

you can either use jacobalberty/unifi or Linuxserver/unifi-controller

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/un ... r/releases

*update

there are some other sources for how to setup static ips for docker. the first video is better for me, but the other videos is more like a deeper explanation.

How To Setup MacVLAN in Portainer *i recommend this one if you are trying to do this via portainer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7nn6Tv-PAw

Docker Networking Tutorial // ALL Network Types explained!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5grbXvV_DSk

Docker networking is CRAZY!! (you NEED to learn it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKFMS5C4CG0
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Users' Corner”