QNAP starts blocking any network access from media player all of a sudden, after years of seamless operation

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
siebzehnx
Starting out

QNAP starts blocking any network access from media player all of a sudden, after years of seamless operation

Post by siebzehnx »

OS used to access the NAS: Windows 11 and MacOS Ventura, but this problem is related to a media player
NAS Model: TVS-h1688x
Firmware version: 20221111-h4.5.4.2217
Network setup: Port trunking over two 10Gpbs ethernet ports - IEEE 802.3ad (Dynamic Link Aggregation)

For many years I’ve had an Oppo UDP-205 4K Ultra HD Audiophile Blu-ray Disc Player which features network connectivity via an ethernet port, from which I can stream content straight from my QNAP NAS TVS-h1688x.

When I set this up back in the day, it was a matter of simply creating a dedicated user in the QNAP, assigning the access to the folders which would contain the content I’d play from the Oppo, and enter that user credentials in the Oppo for the first time when connecting, also checking the “save password” option. It was a simple “no frills” setup and gave zero headaches… until I upgraded to the latest available firmware.

Now, the QNAP have started to block the network connection from the Oppo player. No matter what I do, I keep getting a connection error and when I check the list of blocked IP addresses, there one for the Oppo ending in 30 was just added. I have tried all of the steps below without any success:
  • Changed the user account to perform the connection from the Oppo, from the usual user to the sysadmin one, and back to the initial one.
  • White listed the IP range from 192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.255 when the QTS firewall app was installed.
  • White listed the Oppo static IP which is the 192.168.1.30 in the QTS Firewall app.
  • Disabled QTS firewall and removed the app
  • Removed the blocked IP addresses from Control Panel -> Security -> Allow/Deny List when the selected option is “Deny connections from the list”
  • Switched the Control Panel -> Security -> Allow/Deny List to “Allow all connections”
  • Changed the Oppo player static IP to a different number (which was completely pointless as that would not determine anything at all, but still did it)
  • Changed the Oppo network connection to wireless. The new IP assigned to the wireless interface by DHCP was blocked by the QNAP after 3 login failure attempts (As defined in Control Panel -> Security -> IP access protection”). If I turned the IP access protection off, then I got constant login failures no matter how many times I entered the password
  • Downgraded the QNAP to a previous firmware
  • Changed the password for the user the Oppo is connecting through to the most simple password, to rule out I was making a typo when entering it
The Oppo player has not been updated in any way, and nothing in my home network configuration has changed, other than updated the QNAP with the latest firmware (h4.5.4.2217 build 20221111). Also, the two main computers in the same room (A windows PC and a Mac) keep accessing the QNAP without issues, both under the main account and also under the same account I am using for the Oppo connection, thus ruling out the user has any kind of issues in the QNAP environment.

This is truly a head scratcher for me, anyone can think of anything else I can try in this situation?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP starts blocking any network access from media player all of a sudden, after years of seamless operation

Post by dolbyman »

Remove QNAP firewall and disable IP blocking ..and test again

The QNAP should not be in any environment where those would be needed
siebzehnx
Starting out

Re: QNAP starts blocking any network access from media player all of a sudden, after years of seamless operation

Post by siebzehnx »

I did so, uninstalled the QNAP QTS firewall completely. And set the settings to "allow all connections". There's no blocking at that point, but the Oppo doesn't connect, keeps saying wrong username/password. When I try the same credentials in one of the two usual computers that have connected for years, the connection happens without issues.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no sure if x88x ever Had SMB1 on by default, but did you try enabling SMB1 ?
siebzehnx
Starting out

Post by siebzehnx »

The lower SMB version in those settings (which I did not change) is SMB2. If you try to select SMB1 as the lowest version you get the message attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterT1959
Know my way around

Post by PeterT1959 »

While you might not have changed that setting in the past, current QNAP releases have by default disabled SMBV1. Just ignore the QNAP warning and enable SMBV1.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

siebzehnx
Starting out

Post by siebzehnx »

Changed the SMB minimum version to SMB1, issue remains the same
sinanju009
New here

Post by sinanju009 »

Check your virtual switches. Container, docker, etc... will add virtual switches. They (the NAT config?) seem to mess with certain type of traffic a lot. Had to remove the virtual switches to restore (all) my traffic flow.

Return to “Users' Corner”