QSW-M408-4C, vLANs and switch IP address

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
thatandyward
First post

QSW-M408-4C, vLANs and switch IP address

Post by thatandyward »

I’m segmenting my home network into different subnets and setting up vLANS. For most part all makes sense; however I’m having trouble with the IP address of my switch, and I’m hoping someone might be able to help point me in the right direction.

I have a pfsense L3 router (Negate 6100) which is connected to an L2 switch (QNAP QSW-M408-4C). I’m sending 2 vLANS (#10 Primary & #30 Management) via a trunk from the LAN interface on the router, to a trunked port on the switch.

On the switch, I have 3 access ports configured for vLAN #10 and 2 access ports configured for vLAN #30. The devices connecting to access ports get assigned IP addresses from the respective subnet ranges via DHCP and all works well. however, the switch itself is getting a self-assigned IP address, leaving the management webUI unaccessible from the network.

Ideally I want the switch on the management vLAN (#30). My hope was that I could simply do a DHCP server static mapping, but that does not appear to work. Manually setting the IP address and DNS server of the switch doesn’t work either. It takes the address, but is still not accessible on the network, and does not appear on the router ARP table.

My firewall is currently set to allow everything across all interfaces whilst trying to resolve this, so I don't believe that is causing any issues.

Any ideas on how to get DHCP working for the switch itself when using a trunk from router to switch?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pantic
First post

Re: QSW-M408-4C, vLANs and switch IP address

Post by pantic »

Any solution to change vlan management?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Best to open a ticket with QNAP, doubt many people here use these switches, so you will wait in vain for any tips or answers
NicholasL
First post

Post by NicholasL »

At the risk of also being told to raise a ticket, any update on the VLAN ID 1 / management issue?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Looks like a hit and run poster. posted and never came back
jonathan.young
First post

Post by jonathan.young »

I have exactly the same switch and the same issue: I need to move the management vlan id to 100 (i.e. not 1). This is a deal breaker for me if I cannot figure this out. I will raise a ticket.
rfox@foxconsult.eu
First post

Post by rfox@foxconsult.eu »

I have a QSW-2108-2C and have a similar issue - not sure where to find PVIDs - the interface is overly simplstic and not consistent with other coommercial switches . . . very confusing indeed!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

First post galore in here..see my first reply..OPEN TICKETS!

Return to “Users' Corner”