Necropost locking of a topic

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
BlueSkye
Know my way around

Necropost locking of a topic

Post by BlueSkye »

What constitutes a "necropost" and what should be done if a person has a question on exactly the same topic? Thank you.
TS-459 PRO II, TS-879 PRO x 2, TS-831X and TS-1685
OneCD
Guru

Re: Necropost locking of a topic

Post by OneCD »

If a topic hasn't had any replies for 12 months-or-more, it's considered dead. Posting to this topic would then be considered necroposting.

If you have the same question, please: start a new topic, linking back to the original topic if required.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Necroposting is a new post when the thread/post is old. Old is an individual value.
In this forum the limit is mostly if no new post is written for more than about a year.
What do to instead? Create a new thread. :wink:

Regards

Edit: To late. But definitely not a necropost :lol:
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

personally i feel if the topic is still valid and relevant to the post, it should be fair game to post in it *bump it up

a necro post to me is bumping a thread that is no longer relevant or serves any purpose. but some people seem to confuse that just cauz a thread is no longer relevant to them, means it should no longer relevant to others e.g. some people do use outdated eol models, and so they discuss about those outdated models though the majority of users have long since moved to newer models. so why be so over bearing to stop such users from discussin what is relevant to them? there is no need to be so heavy handed :/

but i don't manage this forum, so it's not my role to dictate the rules :/

though usually forum mods would add a timed thread which will auto lock (sometimes there is a setting for this, if not there are forum addons then can add this feature for the forums general settings). then we wouldn't have people wondering about what constitutes a necro post, because the thread would auto lock on it's own. this should be the most obvious solution with the least drama.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Other forums lock posts after 60 or 90 days of no activity, so our 12 months cutoff seems more than generous.

We have enough people that post in 10+ year old threads to answer questions for users and units that are long gone...

If there is a problem that was referenced before, reference that thread in a new topic... Easy

Return to “Users' Corner”