[GUIDE] Dupeguru container station 2022

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

[GUIDE] Dupeguru container station 2022

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

dupeGuru is a tool to find duplicate files on your computer. It can scan either filenames or contents. The filename scan features a fuzzy matching algorithm that can find duplicate filenames even when they are not exactly the same.
Docker container for dupeGuru

This is a Docker container for dupeGuru.

The GUI of the application is accessed through a modern web browser (no installation or configuration needed on the client side) or via any VNC client.
https://github.com/jlesage/docker-dupeguru

nagarenb wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:17 am Guys Thanks for the suggestion. Could you please help me to install docker on NAS, also suggest how I can install this utility on top of this?
quick install (can't claim everything done correctly, but this what i tried to get it to work straight away. if you want to double check the configurations, read the github instructions carefully like i did :) )
https://github.com/jlesage/docker-dupeguru

step1:
install container station if you haven't already (i tested with cs v3 beta)

step2:
in cs, go to explore and type the following and install that app

Code: Select all

jlesage/dupeguru
select latest when offered a choice for what version

step3:

during the install configuration

to make your config persist after updating, best use a different folder location outside the default

for example i used this

Code: Select all

\\my nas\Container\jlesage-dupeguru\config
so in cs storage, u add the location path for the corresponding label. so set one for the config and the other for trash.

as for the label storage, i believe this should point to the share where you plan to have dupeguru inspect the contents (just be aware the app will have read/write, so if u delete using app, it will delete ur data from the share as well, so be careful when using)

by default the storage locations are all containerized. so i replaced those with a bind mount path with r/w for both the config and trash. as for the storage i set the location to the share i want dupeguru to scan. But i set read only (i assume this will work. i only want it to scan, but i don't want it to write, in case the app makes a mistake and tries to delete something. i'll do that manually myself within file explorer. i'm only dupeguru to detect dupes only)

/config rw This is where the application stores its configuration, states, log and any files needing persistency.
/storage rw This location contains files from your host that need to be accessible to the application.
/trash rw This is where duplicated files are moved when they are sent to trash.

notes: as part of the configuration for the initial setup, you can opt to change the network settings if you wish. the standard practise is to switch to bridge mode and set a static ip. i skipped this part and just use the default which uses the nas ip with a custom port.

step4:

once the app is running, open the url to access the app that is now running natively on your QNAP NAS. to find the url look at the app in cs, the url u can copy there then insert to web browser.

step5:

within the app, click the + sign, then add the share you want to scan (this is where that previous storage location matters. you can only select based on that selection). Once done, click the scan button bottom right.

so i tested it works. but since it's read only with no write, the app is unable to delete anything in my important shares. it can merely scan to detect for duplicates only. if you want to be able to delete files via the dupeguru UI, you just merely have to provide it R/O instead of R only.

this is just an example of a false dupe. see the difference is the mouth. this is why we have to spot check the results and not simply believe it's a dupe because it might not be. Or you can decide the differences are not worth the storage space and delete if you wish regardless if it's a dupe or not. dupeguru just makes it convenient/easier to detect the dupes for you to save you a lot of time :D

*update

to update the app, simply go to container station, select the app in your container, click the scroll wheel edit, then select recreate directly and pull the latest image (if you want to ammend some installation settings, selection recreate).

Becauz earlier we set a bind mount path to a custom folder not the default, this then lets any saved settings persist after updating the app. seems this app has a trash folder as well, so that should survive an update as well.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Users' Corner”