Unable to delete files

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
scoutdog44
New here

Unable to delete files

Post by scoutdog44 »

All of a sudden, I am unable to delete files from my QNAP TS-453D and receiving error messages and event logs and they only state 'failed to delete'. I am running 5.0.0.1932. What is strange, I kept trying to delete the same files and was finally able to delete one of them but not the others. I have re-checked that I have read/write permissions on all folders. The only change I made recently was due to a security message I was getting all the time regarding apps that do not have a digital signature so I changed it to require the digital signature. Other than that, no changes to any settings. I have 30% free space (1.4tb) so it should not be a space issue. However, I think I may be out of snapshot space. Would that have an impact on deleting files?

Thank you for your help!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Unable to delete files

Post by dolbyman »

did your pool run out of space ? some volumes got locked in recent firmware versions, when storage pools overflowed with snapshots

please post some screenshots of your storage overview (showing pools and volumes)
scoutdog44
New here

Post by scoutdog44 »

I am not sure how to attach a snapshot without getting an error so I will just enter the details below:

Storage Pool: Capacity 7.26TB
- Snapshot used: 26.45% (1.92TB)
- Pool Guaranteed Snapshot Space: 19.98% (1.45TB)
- Volume/LUN: 69.16% (5.02TB)
- Unallocated: 4.36% (329.98GB)

DataVol1 (System): Thick volume Capacity 4.84TB
- Used: 70.62% (3.42TB)
- Free Size: 29.53% (1.43TB)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

hmm ok..I gues sit's not completely full them

Volume status would say "read only" in orange
scoutdog44
New here

Post by scoutdog44 »

Any other ideas?
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Are you using the "admin" user? Are you using an admin group user? Are you using just a regular user?
Are the files you are trying to delete related to a specific app that may still have them locked when you are trying to delete them?
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
UrbanNomad
New here

Post by UrbanNomad »

did this issue get resolved? facing the same situation right now after deadbolt decryption, malware removal, QTS updated to latest version etc. Unable to delete Time Machine backup folder / files
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

First and only course of action after malware infection should be full wipe of the NAS and restore of the files via backup (made before encryption or after payment/decryption)
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

SSH as the true admin user and use the "rm" command. If you can't delete it with that, then it is unlikely anything else will work. (although in rare cases you need to modify the attributes, owner or permissions)
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

Sometimes for better protection from Ransomware, I recommend having "Smart Snapshot Space Management" turned off so that if you get ransomware and it makes snapshots get very large in size (If every block of data is encrypted, then every block of data is saved to the snapshots) then rather than the NAS delete snapshots to free up space, the NAS should go into read-only mode so that the snapshots will be preserved.
Also, by default even with "Smart Snapshot Space Management" on, the default is to refuse to delete the most recent snapshot. So a ransomware attack can still cause the NAS to go into read-only mode to preserve the latest snapshot.

Is it possible that read-only mode could be related to a large snapshot the NAS refused to delete?
If you have ransomware it is a good thing for the NAS to go into read-only mode to protect the snapshots. If that is what happened for anyone, I would suggest making a support ticket for help restoring the data from the snapshot.
thobel
Starting out

Post by thobel »

dosborne wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:04 am SSH as the true admin user and use the "rm" command. If you can't delete it with that, then it is unlikely anything else will work. (although in rare cases you need to modify the attributes, owner or permissions)
I re-enabled admin and tried as real "admin" and it solved same issue for me.

Return to “Users' Corner”