Slow read on RAID 5

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Manos0
New here

Slow read on RAID 5

Post by Manos0 »

Hello my configuration is:

TS-832PX
8x14TB drives in RAID 5
connected to a netgear prosafe xs508m using 10GbE SFP+

The thing is the slower drive is giving me 200mb/s read (as you can see in the picture). As far as i understand, hypothetically, the RAID is capable for 1600mb/s speed(?). We are 4 mac computers connected on the switch to the server and the idea was to use the 10GbE SFP+ and both 2.5GbE LAN ports, so we could potentially reach ~300mb/s each (1200mb/s).

No matter how i will connect to the NAS, it's impossible to get more that 600mb/s read. I've tried different cables, different machines etc. When i connect through the network (using the switch and the same cables etc) to my other computers i get ~930mb/s read speeds.

Are there any possibilities that it's all wrong from the beginning that i set up the qnap?

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Slow read on RAID 5

Post by dolbyman »

I think the issue is the NAS, these slow ARM NAS that 'look' like powerful x86 equivalents have always been a source of grief, as the speeds disappoint.

Most tirades have been thrown for the impressive looking 1635X...

So either accept the mediocre performance* or upgrade the NAS to something with more 'oompf'

e.g.
https://www.qnap.com/en/product/tvs-h874

*600MB\s is not too bad, certainly not for backups
Manos0
New here

Post by Manos0 »

It's not for backups unfortunately. It's a 90TB NAS to use over the network for video editing (4 different computers at the same time). And with all the money that we spend on this thing, i really hope that's not the case!

If you consider the cost of the server +drives +updating to 10GbE (macs and cables and switch) for me it's a pretty hefty price just for backups.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Yeah video editing is where most people notice their mistakes (see all the threads where people bought these units by mistake)

Pretty sure BobZelin will find this thread soon .. be prepared ;)

Some examples:
viewtopic.php?t=149793
viewtopic.php?t=153020#p742075
viewtopic.php?t=156842
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

The thing is the slower drive is giving me 200mb/s read (as you can see in the picture). As far as i understand, hypothetically, the RAID is capable for 1600mb/s speed(?).
What's the rated max throughput of the HDDs themselves?
Presumably that's going to be part of the bottleneck.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Manos0
New here

Post by Manos0 »

I'm not sure how to run this test. The image is not helping?
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

"And with all the money that we spend on this thing"
same old post over and over and over. And Mr. Manos0 will just get angry with me and call me arrogant.

Mr. Manos0 bought the cheapest 8 bay that QNAP made. After all - it's got eight drives and a 10G port - what could go wrong. He bought an $879 dollar QNAP, and wants it to perform like a
$2750 dollar TVS-h1288X.

https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-TS-832PX-4G ... B08P42JR89

If Mr. Manos0 simply returns this piece of complete garbage (that I am embarassed that QNAP even makes) - and gets a TVS-h1288X, puts in two 500 Gig SSD drives for the QuTS operating system, and installs his eight drives that are currently in his piece of junk TS-832PX, then he will get the performance that he wants.

And let's be clear about this - even in the TVS-h1288X - you have a total aggregate bandwidth of about 1200 - 1400 MB/sec (maybe 1400 MB/sec) bandwidth. With four editors doing Adobe Premiere, Davinci Resolve, AVID Media Composer or Apple FCP X - that is about the max users you are going to get with a TVS-h1288X. More users ? Buy a bigger QNAP with more drives. The more drives, the greater the total aggregate bandwdith that you get.

And Mr. Manos0 had not detailed any specs on his equipment. Exactly what 10G switch are you using. What computers are you using ? Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt 3 Macs ? What year ? What are your thunderbolt to 10G boxes ? Do you have a separate network setup with a dedicated 10G switch (like a QNAP QSW-M1208-8C) for all four of these computers, and the 10G port on the QNAP ?

Lots of details. And when people say "well, you arrogant piece of @#$% - I cannot afford $2750 for a TVS-h1288X" - then my reply to you, sir, is that you CANNOT AFFORD to have shared storage for four professional video editors, that will compete in this market.

God forbid Mr. Manso0 had to purchase an AVID Nexis, or EditShare, or Studio Network Solution EVO, or Facilis HUB, or GB Labs Space. He only has $879 !!!!!!

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Manos0
New here

Post by Manos0 »

No problem with arrogancy in general.

The only thing that is not true is that we only have $879. If a company makes something and sells it as something, we would expect it to work as that something. I think we agree on that. Also prices in Greece (where we're located) are quite -a lot- different. At least when we bought it. You know, we thought that a machine capable of 25Gbe in total, would be more than enough for 10Gbe. I'm not sure if the problem is the bandwidth of the ports, or the read/write capability on the server itself. Because we tried the port trunking thing and there's no difference.

We are using:

the Netgear prosafe xs508m switch using 10GbE SFP+, and the 2x 2,5gbe

Mac pro 2019 with 2x 10Gbe
Mac stutio m1 max with 10Gbe
2x Mac mini M1 with 10Gbe

As i mentioned on my original post, when we are running tests over the network -mac to mac through the switch- we almost get a full 10gbe speed (~930 to 950 mb/s).

Thanks for the time you took to answer. I'm -obviously- a newb with qnap. And, now, I'm not sure if i want to become a veteran. :)
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

You have excellent equipment, with the exception of the TS-832PX. If you can't afford the TVS-h1288X, then get the new TVS-h874 (you will need to add a 10G card and 2 M.2 NVMe drives to this). Then you will able to get the results you are expecting.

you will never see an actual 1200 MB/sec bandwidth. The fastest single client I have ever seen is 1100 MB/sec, and with most Macs, like the ones you have, you typically get about 900 - 1000 MB/sec.
I know that you spent a lot of money on that 2019 Mac Pro.

Bob
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com

Return to “Users' Corner”