E-Waste Reduction

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.

Should QNAP provide upgrade to QTS 5.X for platforms that should work but haven't been tested?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:25 am

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 2

mrkcmo
New here

E-Waste Reduction

Post by mrkcmo »

Quick question to the QNAP team and forum users about E-Waste and how QNAP can help reduce some E-Waste. (I am a new QNAP product owner and forum member so please excuse me if this has been discussed)

So I have become the owner of several TS-EC1279U-RP which has the following specifications:
  • Quad Core Intel® Xeon® E3-1225 v2 Processor 3.2 GHz
    Memory expandable up to: 32 GB (8GB x4)
    2 PCIe Gen.2x4 (for network and storage expansion)
The TS-EC1280U has similar specs:
  • Intel® Xeon® E3-1200 v3 Family 3.4 GHz Quad Core Processor
    Memory expandable up to: 32 GB (8GB x4)
    2 (1* PCIe Gen3 x8, 1* PCIe Gen3 x4)
The big changes seem to be the PCI X8 slot and the bump from 3.2 to 3.4 on the CPU. My issue with this is that the older 1279 should be able to run the 5.X QTS version without issue unless I am missing something and I may very well be. Even if there would be no support for QTS 5.X it would be nice if we could upgrade the 1279's to QTS 5.X as there doesn't appear to be anything I can see that would stop it and the support for the 1279 is already EOL. It would just stop folks from throwing the 1279's in the trash as E-Waste in my opinion.

There are other platforms where this option could be used as well but this one is my current scenario. Any thoughts from the QNAP team or the forum users on this potential to not throw perfectly good hardware to the E-Waste bin?

Thanks for taking the time to read and provide feedback!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: E-Waste Reduction

Post by dolbyman »

This board is VERY rarely visited by QNAP, (and features wanted is never shown any attention) but why would you throw that NAS is the trash just because it gets no QTS 5? I have a 12+ year old 419p+ .. works just fine as a NAS

I also moved the topic from wanted features to users corner
mrkcmo
New here

Post by mrkcmo »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:36 am This board is VERY rarely visited by QNAP, (and features wanted is never shown any attention) but why would you throw that NAS is the trash just because it gets no QTS 5? I have a 12+ year old 419p+ .. works just fine as a NAS

I also moved the topic from wanted features to users corner
I wouldn't. I just want the capability to upgrade them at my own risk which also includes the updated APP's as they APP's are sometimes limited in upgrade availability but the QTS version.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Many years ago QNAP justified older intel QNAP not getting updates with discontinued support from the linux kernel for old intel igpu...

No idea what all reasons are, but some are probably based on age of hardware and how much time and money QNAP wants to invest on supporting these for free*

*The initial purchase will only support developer wages so long
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

my old ts-509 pro, i use the original qts but i don't expose it online. it still received some security patches even up to now, though i'm not sure how much longer. i thought to try truenas but this model is too old.

but for something a ts-653a and a ts-253d, i tested installing truenas onto them and worked fine.

ts-877 was originally rumored to have quts hero added for it via a paid license. but this never panned unfortunately. If your question would change, to could they plz add quts hero to a model like ts-877 which probably wouldn't have issues with hardware running quts hero, i would be all for that.

as for older models like ts-509 pro, if you check the qnap wikis they offered some suggestions for reflashing qts to replace it with something else. Then you would get something a bit more well maintained with updates. but for this old model i didn't see a good candidate.

but models like a ts-653a and ts-253d truenas was a good os replacement (though these had no issue currently using existing qts. i was merely experimenting to see if it would work or not. my point is, these not too old models, u don't really need to replace the OS just yet)

Anyway back to ts-877. i hope they resume the quts hero license option to add it for this model. i'm not against paying for it, but the retracted those plans :{ and thats a big shame. so then the only option then is truenas which i plan to do once qts is no longer maintained for that model.

so this is what i am doing to breathe life into these models from old to not too old, so they can continue to be used :}

*i have not thrown anyway of my nas away fyi. most of them are used as backups or for experimenting/testing. only the ts-877 is my primary nas which i use daily.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

if not mistaken this was the article i was referencing to
https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Debian_Installation_On_QNAP

even qnap suggested alternative os to replace qts in the event it's no longer maintained.

however i think there are better options like truenas (free), and unraid (this one requires a license purchase). But this is probably dependent if that qnap model is suitable for them or not. Anyway these are the 2 os i would consider reflashing over qts if it is no longer maintained.

there is also OpenMediaVault, but i'm not too familiar with it. but it's another option :'

anyway only time i upgrade is when i need better performance, or added features. but something like the ts-509 pro, though the performance is not competitive versus newer models, but as a backup it's fine (but the speed is obviously going to be bottle necked).
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
mrkcmo
New here

Post by mrkcmo »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:21 am Many years ago QNAP justified older intel QNAP not getting updates with discontinued support from the linux kernel for old intel igpu...

No idea what all reasons are, but some are probably based on age of hardware and how much time and money QNAP wants to invest on supporting these for free*

*The initial purchase will only support developer wages so long
I understand the need to drop their support but allowing the ability to self solve and assume risk to try the upgrade is another option that should be allowed in my opinion. Such as the "igpu" didn't change for my case as they both use the 1200 E3 series of Intel CPU's. :DD
mrkcmo
New here

Post by mrkcmo »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:53 pm my old ts-509 pro, i use the original qts but i don't expose it online. it still received some security patches even up to now, though i'm not sure how much longer. i thought to try truenas but this model is too old.

but for something a ts-653a and a ts-253d, i tested installing truenas onto them and worked fine.

ts-877 was originally rumored to have quts hero added for it via a paid license. but this never panned unfortunately. If your question would change, to could they plz add quts hero to a model like ts-877 which probably wouldn't have issues with hardware running quts hero, i would be all for that.

as for older models like ts-509 pro, if you check the qnap wikis they offered some suggestions for reflashing qts to replace it with something else. Then you would get something a bit more well maintained with updates. but for this old model i didn't see a good candidate.

but models like a ts-653a and ts-253d truenas was a good os replacement (though these had no issue currently using existing qts. i was merely experimenting to see if it would work or not. my point is, these not too old models, u don't really need to replace the OS just yet)

Anyway back to ts-877. i hope they resume the quts hero license option to add it for this model. i'm not against paying for it, but the retracted those plans :{ and thats a big shame. so then the only option then is truenas which i plan to do once qts is no longer maintained for that model.

so this is what i am doing to breathe life into these models from old to not too old, so they can continue to be used :}

*i have not thrown anyway of my nas away fyi. most of them are used as backups or for experimenting/testing. only the ts-877 is my primary nas which i use daily.
I agree that their go forward solution was to tell you to use other software to run on the hardware. Would just be nice to try and use theirs and assume the risk of trying the upgrade and working through issues in my opinion.

Return to “Users' Corner”