QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
sanchez13
Starting out

Re: QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Post by sanchez13 »

You can try Long-term model:
The TS-453E will be available and supported by QNAP for an extended period, up to 2029.

S.
mrohila
First post

Post by mrohila »

Another success story for a TS-453 Pro. Added the 100ohm resistor to pins #1 and #10 and voila.

It fired right up!!

Thank you to the OP that recommended this. Love when the internet works its wonders.
Shinymoon
New here

Post by Shinymoon »

My goodness!! People! And not just people - yujungchang!!!!

Thanks to you, I managed to resurrect my TS-453 Pro instantly, after I found and robbed a 100 Ohm resistor from an old board I had kept for whatever reason!!
Amazing how much good people with competence can do! Thank you yujungchang!!!!

Now the big question is - how reliable is that fix? Those of you who had the issue some time ago and fixed it with a resistor - does your NAS still run? How long after the fix? Or are its days numbered?
Nees
Know my way around

Post by Nees »

Shinymoon wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:23 am My goodness!! People! And not just people - yujungchang!!!!

Thanks to you, I managed to resurrect my TS-453 Pro instantly, after I found and robbed a 100 Ohm resistor from an old board I had kept for whatever reason!!

Now the big question is - how reliable is that fix? Those of you who had the issue some time ago and fixed it with a resistor - does your NAS still run? How long after the fix? Or are its days numbered?
Mine died after about a year... the fix kinda, stopped working, voltage was high and looked like the resistor didnt lower voltage anymore, very odd. I did got it back to life after many attempts, but i felt it was really dieing this time. Bought a TS-873A, plugged drives in and I was back operational. Then messed around to get it to boot, soldered it again, soldered a 120Ohm also, no difference... Kept messing with it, shorted something and now its 100% dead haha, im sad, wanted to mess around with it some more!
TS-639_Pro-Raid6-WD_RE_GP-3.8.4_20130816
TS-853_Pro-Raid6-WD_RE_4-4.1.3_20150313
Shinymoon
New here

Post by Shinymoon »

Nees wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:07 pm
Shinymoon wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:23 am My goodness!! People! And not just people - yujungchang!!!!

Mine died after about a year... the fix kinda, stopped working, voltage was high and looked like the resistor didnt lower voltage anymore, very odd. I did got it back to life after many attempts, but i felt it was really dieing this time. Bought a TS-873A, plugged drives in and I was back operational. Then messed around to get it to boot, soldered it again, soldered a 120Ohm also, no difference... Kept messing with it, shorted something and now its 100% dead haha, im sad, wanted to mess around with it some more!
Thank you for the feedback!! Mine has been running fine now for a week with the resistor. Haven't dared to restart it though.
I just ordered TS-453E as a replacement (although I had hard time making peace with the cheap design and look, but the alternatives (e.g. TS-464) looked even worse :shock: ). I also looked at the 473A as it looks better, but the lack of an integrated graphics processor in the AMD CPU + the 3 fans on the back vs 1 pushed me towards the 453E. This and the fact that it is a "long-term availability model".

Once you migrated your drives to the new NAS, were the various server settings also transferred automatically? I mean IP settings, VPN, Hybrid Backup, etc, etc.
Gen19
Starting out

Post by Gen19 »

Hi, I have exactly the same issue on a TS-251(end of 2015) and I want to try to fixed it (100 ohms) with resistor.
I'm unable to do this but I have a friend could help me. Can you share a pic of where I have to add the resistor on the motherboard?
Thanks in advance.
:arrow: NAS Qnap TS-251, 8gb
Gen19
Starting out

Post by Gen19 »

Hi, I'm interested to your solution for my ts-251.

Can you send a pic of you motherboard?
regards
dmorris68 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:58 am The resistor hack worked for my TS-851 also!

No soldering required either, I crimped a female Dupont pin to each leg of a 100ohm metal film resistor and used a 5x2 Dupont connector. So if I need to change resistor values I don't even need to dismount the motherboard -- just remove the lid, unplug the Dupont connector and replace the resistor.

Thanks for the tip!
:arrow: NAS Qnap TS-251, 8gb
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

dupont wires are pretty much self explaining ..just get stuck on the connector/header and you shove the resistor in between
Shinymoon
New here

Post by Shinymoon »

There are some photos back in this tread. There are also a couple of youtube videos which show the location.
Not all MBs have a port with pins, some, like mine have just provisions.

Here a photo of my resistor installation, to give you an idea. I did not need to remove the MB - only removed the QNAP chassis cover and the foil which covers the MB. I also temporarily removed the RAM, just to have some extra space. The whole job was done in 10 min. (Looking for a suitable resistor at home took an hour though :lol: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wakkers2001
New here

Post by Wakkers2001 »

Does anyone know where on this board i'm supposed to add the 100ohm resistor, please? I would appreciate it if you could circle the spots that I need to add it to.

It's a QNAP TS-453A - the board is a QX85 Rev 1.3 Bought and used in the UK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wakkers2001 on Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Letting us know what NAS model this is would have been great .. (and probably a great topic search term .. *hint*)

LPC_CN1 is clearly visible and mentioned many dozens of times even with pictures in this thread
Wakkers2001
New here

Post by Wakkers2001 »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:30 am Letting us know what NAS model this is would have been great .. (and probably a great topic search term .. *hint*)

LPC_CN1 is clearly visible and mentioned many dozens of times even with pictures in this thread
Apologies, I'm rubbish at this sort of thing, and I don't want to mess it up. The model is TS-453A, with a board model of QX85 Rev: 1.3. UK edition
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Not sure if Braswell (Celeron N3150/N3160 in your NAS model) ever had this issue

Another LPC issue thread is here:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=157459

What problem does your NAS show ?
Wakkers2001
New here

Post by Wakkers2001 »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:09 am Not sure if Braswell (Celeron N3150/N3160 in your NAS model) ever had this issue

Another LPC issue thread is here:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=157459

What problem does your NAS show ?
It shows the "System Booting" on the lcd screen, with the chevrons working their way across. The fans are not spinning up, there is no output from the HDMI either.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Hmm .. system booting is just the default display of the LCD (if NO OS is loaded with LCD drivers, this will never change)

What happens when you eject the drives, does it boot into setup ?

Return to “Users' Corner”