TS-463U-RP ZFS support and SSD

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
brambil
New here

TS-463U-RP ZFS support and SSD

Post by brambil »

Dear all,
I have a TS-463U-RP with 16GB of RAM that I use as a storage for an archive of photos with 3x4TB HDD + 1x2TB for OS and gneral share.

If I read correctly ZFS is available only on QuTS Hero. There is any workaround to use ZFS on QTS with this NAS?

I would use ZRAID (similar to RAID5) on 3x4TB and leave the OS on the 1x2TB with EXT4 or any other File System.
For my usage I will take many advantages from ZFS such data deducuplication and data-control, hardware requirements I think are enough.

Second question, there is any way to add an SSD for cache usage? Maybe using an internal SATA port? I have the OEM 10GBit PCIE card installed, but unused.

If is not possible add ZFS support using QTS, is possible install a Linux distribution on this NAS to sobstitute QTS?

Thanks.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-463U-RP ZFS support and SSD

Post by dolbyman »

The NAS is in priciple a regular x86 computer, but the lack of video output would make the install of an alternative OS challenging
brambil
New here

Post by brambil »

Thanks.
No way to get ZFS? Maybe through external package? Entware/Optware? Unofficial plugin?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

nope...QTS does not do ZFS and QTS is a very limited version of Linux

Return to “Users' Corner”