TS-464 Fails to Boot After Migration

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
phpatnode
New here

TS-464 Fails to Boot After Migration

Post by phpatnode »

I just purchased a new TS-464 to replace an old TS-453mini that suddenly stopped working. From the symptoms, my best guess was that the Mini was suffering from the “LPC” problem (viewtopic.php?f=45&t=157459) but there was really no way I could pull off that fix on the Mini. I think the four hard drives (WD WD40EFRX) are OK and – according the QNAP site – I should be able to migrate them directly to a new QNAP with all my data and settings intact. So, I checked the QNAP site for migration compatibility and bought the TS-464.

I followed the migration instructions carefully. I updated the TS-464 to the latest firmware using QFinder Pro -- which had no trouble finding it on my network. I then shut it down and installed the hard drives to the TS-464 in the same order they were in my old TS-453mini.

I started the TS-464. There was no short beep – but eventually it made a long beep and showed up on QFinder. The hard drives seemed to be working with the HDD LEDs flickering. So I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that it was working and maybe I just missed the first beep.

Then I got a series of emails from the QNAP Notification Center, in this order, in rapid succession:

Message: [Storage & Snapshots] A disk has been moved. Source: "Host: M.2 SSD 1", Destination: "Host: Disk 1".
Message: [Storage & Snapshots] A disk has been moved. Source: "Host: M.2 SSD 2", Destination: "Host: Disk 2".
Message: [Storage & Snapshots] A disk has been moved. Source: "Host: Disk 1", Destination: "Host: Disk 3".
Message: [Power] The system was not shutdown properly last time.
Message: [Storage & Snapshots] A disk has been moved. Source: "Host: Disk 2", Destination: "Host: Disk 4".
Message: [Power] The system was not shutdown properly last time.
Message: [myQNAPcloud] Signed out user "John/JohnDoe@geeshmail.com". Device name: "MyNAS". Hard drive migration. Error code: -1. Sign in again.

The fact that I was receiving these messages at all implied to me that QTS must have migrated (somewhat?) successfully. But I don’t understand the messages about “Host: M.2 SSD 1” and "Host: M.2 SSD 2". I don’t have any SSDs.

So, to see what was going on, I tried to log into the new QNAP via QFinder. I filled out my credentials, but my browser reported that the server was unresponsive. I thought that maybe the problem was that my previous QNAP had its own reserved address on my LAN. So I tried to shut the QNAP down through the power button – but that didn’t work -- so I reluctantly forced a shutdown with a 5 second press. I changed the settings on my router and rebooted the QNAP. This time, there were no beeps at all, and I could not hear the disks spinning. The status and network lights were on – but NONE of the HDD lights were lit. And QFinder could not find the TS-464 on my network.

Now it won’t boot at all – with or without disks. No beeps. Just the status and the network lights on; but no HDD lights and no connection to QFinder Pro. Reset button does nothing.

Also, if it matters, my old TS-453mini had 8GB RAM. The new TS-464 has only 4GB. I have 2 new 8GB RAM cards ready-to-go for the TS-464, but I thought I should make sure the TS-464 was working out-of-the-box before I changed anything.

So now what? According to the QNAP Support site – if there’s no beep – it’s a hardware issue (motherboard or RAM). Do I send it back and try again? I do have backups – but they aren’t all that current and I’d prefer to just “migrate and go’ if at all possible. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-464 Fails to Boot After Migration

Post by dolbyman »

did you make sure no disks were in the new NAS? (e.g. no M2) if ANY disks are left in the NAS it will NOT be a migration
phpatnode
New here

Post by phpatnode »

Dolbyman -

Thanks for the quick response.

It was brand-new, out of the box. I did not install any storage. I checked, and the M2 slots are empty.
• Model Number(s): TS-453mini (migrate source) to TS-464 (migrate destination)
• Firmware version and Build Number: 5.0.1.2277 (20230112)
• Number of HDDs: 4
• HDD model: WD WD40EFRX
• HDD capacity: 4x 4TB
• RAID configuration: 5
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Best to open a ticket then..I think I have seen some previous threats where the disk enumeration failed (m2 vs hdd bays)..QNAP needs to fix it
phpatnode
New here

Post by phpatnode »

OK Dolbyman - I'll open a ticket. Thanks!
• Model Number(s): TS-453mini (migrate source) to TS-464 (migrate destination)
• Firmware version and Build Number: 5.0.1.2277 (20230112)
• Number of HDDs: 4
• HDD model: WD WD40EFRX
• HDD capacity: 4x 4TB
• RAID configuration: 5

Return to “Users' Corner”