QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Post by dolbyman »

1. Had been discussed many times..can last forever or just a week, for most people this fix has not resulted in failure yet, at least from feedback in these threads
2. Migration was just mentioned (and many times before) a few posts up
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=135089&p=840202#p840156
rkollman
New here

Post by rkollman »

Ok, I'm also part of this family (for about 9 months already).
Yesterday I tried the NAS once more before sending it out of the window, but it came back to live.
So I put a disk of an old TS219P in it and started migrating the drives to it.
It worked for more than one day, but today when I put in the second drive a few minutes later the NAS died again.

Tomorrow I'll get me a 100 ohm resistor and solder it to pin 1. I saw someone who only soldered it to pin 1 and not bridged it to 10. Is this also a good fix or does it always have to be soldered between 1 and 10?

I'm not an experienced soldering guy, so I hope I can fix this! It would be nice to have this NAS up and running again. It will be my backup NAS, because 9 months ago I went out and bought a TS653D. But a backup of my files on a second NAS is something I prefer (that's why the TS219P still runs for more than 13 years :-)).
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

What unit are we talking about here ? An LPC problematic unit would NOT be migration compatible with a 219p+.

Regarding connecting the resistor:

Well, the resistor needs to close a circuit, having it "flop in the breeze" will not do you any good

And the use of dupont wires vs soldering has also been discussed many times
sfkerr
First post

Post by sfkerr »

Just wanted to report another TS-453 fix using a 100 ohm .25W resistor soldered across pin 1 and 8 of the LPC. I don't how long the repair will work but have re-booted over 20 times without issue, added new apps and various hard drives both external and internal. This box though is just a spare for me now.

I note, based on the comments throughout this message stream some differences in the LPC pin arrangement between different TS-X53 boards depending on manufacture date.

On my board there were no pins just solder in every hole. Also only pin hole 2 and pin hole 10 were numbered and I needed to use these locations to determine the numbering of each pin. Seeing pictures in this stream the pin location numbering seemed to vary as well.

For the soldering I first tried to re-create the hole at pin 1 and 8 by melting the existing solder so I could put the tail of the resistor through the hole with the resistor on the component side of the board and then solder on the other side, finally cutting off the extra tail. This was not possible for me although seems a good solution for a clean fix.

Ultimately, and actually pretty easy; I worked entirely on the component side, I heated the tail of the resistor together with the existing solder briefly then quickly embedding the tail into the existing solder in the hole. It sits a little high but still fits under the plastic and overall looks pretty clean.
ruipt
First post

Post by ruipt »

many thanks to all...my ts-453pro solved with 100R resistor....
DAveDS
New here

Post by DAveDS »

ts-453 pro with stuck on system booting solved with the resistor of 100 ohm. But was curious about the "real" solution; a new component replacement, mainboard, cpu, .or just a new NAS?
thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

It's a CPU degradation..and as the CPU is fixed (BGA) ..nothing really to do to fix it
DAveDS
New here

Post by DAveDS »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:45 pm It's a CPU degradation..and as the CPU is fixed (BGA) ..nothing really to do to fix it
thanks, so it'll be a new Nas. (ts-464 or ts-453E)
Gen19
Starting out

Post by Gen19 »

many thanks to all...my ts-251 solved with 100R resistor....
:arrow: NAS Qnap TS-251, 8gb
rkollman
New here

Post by rkollman »

rkollman wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:15 am Ok, I'm also part of this family (for about 9 months already).
Yesterday I tried the NAS once more before sending it out of the window, but it came back to live.
So I put a disk of an old TS219P in it and started migrating the drives to it.
It worked for more than one day, but today when I put in the second drive a few minutes later the NAS died again.

Tomorrow I'll get me a 100 ohm resistor and solder it to pin 1. I saw someone who only soldered it to pin 1 and not bridged it to 10. Is this also a good fix or does it always have to be soldered between 1 and 10?

I'm not an experienced soldering guy, so I hope I can fix this! It would be nice to have this NAS up and running again. It will be my backup NAS, because 9 months ago I went out and bought a TS653D. But a backup of my files on a second NAS is something I prefer (that's why the TS219P still runs for more than 13 years :-)).
I just wanted to mention an update on this. 8 days ago I soldered the 100 ohm resistor to it (between pin 1 and 10). The machine is up and running again for a week and even with 4 new disks in it, which are heavily used the last few days. So it works!

Does someone have experience with this solution on how long it will keep working, or is this a stable and permanent fix?
cheeseater
New here

Post by cheeseater »

Performed the fix with the 100 Ohm resistor. Worked great.... :P
... for about 3 months. :twisted: Now seems to be the same issue. Will need to troubleshoot some more.
Might have to go with a lower resistor just to buy a bit more time.
Looking to replace this with another QNAP. But now just wondering if the newer celeron chips in these might have the same issue :cry:
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

No intel errata is known (so far) for more modern CPU's .. no
yenal
Starting out

Post by yenal »

Has anyone in this thread encountered close to 0 volt on the LPC pin? I get about 0.005-0.009 volt once the machine turns on. When it's shut down the voltage is about 0.2.

I tried the resistor fix but it did not work. The symptoms made me believe it is the same issue but maybe I waited too long to apply the fix.
oczoklepka
First post

Post by oczoklepka »

Thanks, saved my 453 pro :)) Any idea how long it can last on resistor fix?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

oczoklepka wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:19 pm Thanks, saved my 453 pro :)) Any idea how long it can last on resistor fix?
Look at the top of this page

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=135089&start=465#p840707

Return to “Users' Corner”