New TVS-h674 User

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
amnm
Getting the hang of things

New TVS-h674 User

Post by amnm »

Hi, I am a new TVS-h674 user and I have a few questions:

1) In the past I was using single disk volumes (no RAID) and I was doing full backups. I care about the data but not so much about the uptime. Now I am considering using RAID5 in addition to the backups.
- Will this NAS cope well with 6x18TB in RAID5?
- How long approximately will the initial RAID5 build take? Also how long approximately in the future will it take to rebuild the RAID5 if one hard drive fails.
- In case of a one hard disk failure, will it be possible to back up any unbacked up data before rebuilding or it will be time consuming because of calculating the missing blocks from the parity?
- Will RAID5 affect the durability of the hard drives? Sorry I hear a lot of issues with RAID and that is why I am concerned.

2) I am not planning to use my NAS from outside my LAN. Is there any reason why should I register or create a myQNAPCloud account? I feel that my NAS may be more secure if I do not.

3) When I perform my backups, I usually do manual checks to make sure that the current data on the NAS is valid but this is not an easy task especially if I want to perform backups on regular basis. I do not want to override my valid backup data with corrupted ones o the NAS. Is there a tool that compared the data on the NAS with the backed up data and gives a report of added, deleted and modified files before actually performing the backup?

4) I am also struggling with the disks being active while no activity is taking place which is most of the time. I have the system pool running on an NVMe SSD. It will be great if there is a small command or app to force the system to go to sleep and wake rather than keep switching the NAS hardware OFF and ON.

Thank you very much
dolbyman
Guru

Re: New TVS-h674 User

Post by dolbyman »

1) On ZFS RAID build (initial) and rebuild is fast (rebuild is depending on the data utilization)

Not sure why data is suposed to be bad for durability of drives..no idea what you have heard

2) No ..but without port forwards, security should be a non issue no matter what

3) Yes data verification is vuild into HBS3

4) HDD sleep is a can of worms, even more so when you realize that the OS is on ALL internal drives (spanning RAID1)
amnm

Post by amnm »

Thank you dolbyman. Always helpful.

Regarding point (1), I hear a lot with RAID that a rebuild is required. Which means hard drive failure or other problem. I only had a couple of hard drive failures in the past when I was not using RAID. That is why I am asking whether RAID affect the durability of the hard drives.

Regarding point (3), how to use HBS3 to generate a report of the changed files to check before performing the backup? For example, with my current backup policy, all the modified data on the NAS will replace the data on the backup hard drives. If the data on the NAS get corrupted, due to malware for example, my data on the backup will be overwritten as well with the corrupted data.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Never had any problems with RAID...helped me save a lot of time though (quick swap and rebuild vs long resetup and backup restore)

If you want to verify files there is a function you can use at the end of the backup (called verify)
If you want to keep versions, you use a container (versioning qdff)
amnm

Post by amnm »

dolbyman wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:13 pm quick swap and rebuild vs long resetup and backup restore
Doesn't this mean that there are hard drives failures with RAID?
dolbyman wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:13 pm If you want to verify files there is a function you can use at the end of the backup (called verify)
I did not know that. I will search for it. I hope that the verification is happening before the backup starts and not after the backup is finished. Otherwise, it will be too late.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

hard drives always fail..no matter if single or array

The file verification is based on checksum match, accidentally or malicious changed files would not be caught that way (it's for transmission/storage errors)
amnm

Post by amnm »

dolbyman wrote:The file verification is based on checksum match, accidentally or malicious changed files would not be caught that way (it's for transmission/storage errors)
It will be great if HBS can have a dry run mode or diff only mode because the worst that can happen is overwriting the valid backup data with corrupted data.
amnm

Post by amnm »

I have one more question regarding RAID5. If I do not have a UPS protection and I get an unexpected power outage, will this cause the whole RAID array to fail or only the file being written will be corrupted?

Also as a confirmation, if I am using QuTS hero and choose RAID5, it will actually be a RAIDZ. Is this correct?

Thanks again.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Raid5 = RAIDZ correct

You not only risk your filesystem but also sensitive NAS electronics..just get a UPS
amnm

Post by amnm »

Does any one know whether the CyberPower VP1600ELCD UPS will work with the QNAP TVS-h674 NAS or not. It is not in the compatibility list. I do not know whether this means that it is not compatible or not tested.
Basically I would like my NAS to be able to monitor the status of the UPS and automatically power off cleanly when it detects that there is a power outage.

https://www.cyberpower.com/au/en/product/sku/vp1600elcd
ColHut
Know my way around

Post by ColHut »

I do not know, but cannot see why it would not work off the usb connection for notification. However, note the the SLA batteries are not user replaceable, if that matters to you.

Regards
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

ColHut wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:29 am However, note the the SLA batteries are not user replaceable, if that matters to you.
Really ? I never had this UPS but a UPS with non replaceable batteries is like a printer with no ink/toner replacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQj2xmR-zCM
amnm

Post by amnm »

Thank you for the information about the battery replacement. Any recommendations about a good entry level compatible UPS with easy battery replacement?

All what I want to protect are two QNAP NAS to allow for auto shutdown if the NAS detect that the UPS which is running on the same LAN is running from battery.
ColHut
Know my way around

Post by ColHut »

dolbyman wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:48 am
ColHut wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:29 am However, note the the SLA batteries are not user replaceable, if that matters to you.
Really ? I never had this UPS but a UPS with non replaceable batteries is like a printer with no ink/toner replacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQj2xmR-zCM
A “feature” of a number of generally entry level UPSes, but by no means all.

Some people have hacked them to add external SLAs but I would not bother myself.

Regards
ColHut
Know my way around

Post by ColHut »

I use a PR1000ELCD, but not, cheap, My suburb is like the Bermuda triangle of electrical supply so it has paid for itself many times. :)

I also have a couple of 750 VA brick types for less important peripheral. I also used a Powershield Defender1600VA for the PC, but it eventually cooked itsself after two battery replacements (no complaints lasted 6 years).

Consider whether you need pure sine wave, modified or lesser square sine wave supply? Some items are sensitive to the wave form and some not. There is an acreage of articles on UPSes on the web . Seems often a personal choice.

The main thing is to test it occasionally, change batteries as needed(if possible), and have a backup plan for when it doesn’t work. :)

Regards

Return to “Users' Corner”