What the other LAN Ports are for ?

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: What the other LAN Ports are for ?

Post by dolbyman »

I know all of this is going off topic, but could you outline exactly what usage case is giving you issues in terms of audio quality ?

is there some audio protocol that is not using regular TCP/IP (layer 4). Because TCP/IP has checksums that would discard packages with wrong/distorted information.

Is it some layer 1 stuff, like those HDMI via CAT6 Modules?... but those would not work with switches at all.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

All the "noise", "crosstalk" or whatever does not change timing or anything of your say 320 kHz sampling rate data stream - the data going "in" to the network and coming "out" of the network is exactly the same. No matter if it's pure CSMA-CD shared Ethernet (no bridges, no switches, ...), a switched Ethernet, an (also switched) ATM, powerline/xDSL/G.vectoring, whatever. No problems using FE, GbE, 10 GbE or 40 GbE to reach reliable data streams of much higher digital bit stream rates.

Have met some old and new friends with a major digital studio mixer manufacturer, and Zurich University of the Arts Bachelor and Master students and their teachers in digital sound engineering and technology these days - none of em was able to explain or even less to proof any impact of your concerns and *** devices. Let's keep this under high end religion.

When using a ADC and DAC with the "same" characteristic, we will get the same analog signal out to the Amp we had on the recording side. Overall, the ongoing discussion over Burr Brown vs. Cirrus vs. Wolfson ADC and DAC has an impact on the sound ... but that's pure personal, and can't be explained and even less measured - another religion.

Bigger problems in today's studio and recording technologies are "lost" data blocks - because of the processors were used for other work and the real time processing flopped, ie. due to unexpected long interrupt handling (storage, GPU, ...).

Last, there are several open and proprietary standards for Audio over Ethernet where mostly standard Ethernet components (yeah - switches as there is nothing like plain old bridges beyond of 10 MbE) are used - only a few require a dedicated AoE network - all others can readily share a bigger Ethernet infrastructure typically a VLAN with some higher QoS, with higher bandwidth to build an AoE backbone from the recording room to the mixer and recording equipment.

Except when I decide to update the in-house 10 GbE (most copper) infrastructure over the day or evening, I've not had any complaints from my two sons while they making/producing/mixing/finalizing music tracks ... the younger for his semi-pro DJ business, the older for reference recordings from his university and commercial sound engineering work ... with most data held on QNAP NAS and on Nimble all Flash arrays.

Great - they suggested to start selling Swiss CATGold+ cables for 250 US$ per meter, and the perfect QNAP Ethernet bridge App for just 999 US$ if it makes this market happy.

Nuff said on this - I don't want to break down another religious sect or cult war.

-Kurt.
larrylarry
Starting out

Post by larrylarry »

I'm so dumb - Part 1
Ok....so the 2nd LAN port (TS451+) cannot be used as a LAN connection for my PC...(like a router)..
...it can connect to a second network?...what 2nd network?
why would I have 2 networks in my house?...well.....I know I do ...but it wasn't my choice,,,,the PCs connect to differnet networks ....but they all go to the same router with the (1) internet connection coming into my house...

I'm so dumb - PArt 2
do I have to make a shared folder first?...IS this why it says ' I cannot access video via this server'?...

more on PArt 1.....
so my PC with all my videos that I want to transfer to the NAS, sits right next to the QNAP NAS......would have been so convenient to use the 2nd LAN connection on the NAS to connect to the internet to download QFinder to my PC (so I Could see my NAS on the network)....right?..........mainly because the PC next to the QNAP is like 30 feet away from the home router .....and now I have to temporarily lay down a 30 foot Ethernet cable to connect to the PC next to my NAS.
IS there an easier way?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

larrylarry wrote:IS there an easier way?
Yes, buy a small gigabit switch. The cheapest on my market is now >$10.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
larrylarry
Starting out

Post by larrylarry »

why have 2 networks to the NAS?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

larrylarry wrote:why have 2 networks to the NAS?
Corporate networks usually consist of several networks but even in larger or more advanced home networks separate networks are used. Personally I currently have 2 networks; the regular LAN and a DMZ (for equipment that need to be accessed from the internet) but will add separate guest WiFi and Administration networks to improve my security.

Multiple Network interfaces on the NAS are used for (at least):
  • Connecting to multiple networks
  • Load balancing and fault tolerance to the same network with more advanced switches
  • Separate interfaces when using Virtual Machines within the NAS
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Users' Corner”