[Guide] How to analyze your storage space on QNAP

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

[Guide] How to analyze your storage space on QNAP

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Over time, your QNAP gets filled with data, and then you forget what you put on it, but when it comes time to prune your data which may no longer be relevant so that you may have that extra space for storage.

But how do you do that with thousands of files, with folders, and sub folders ..... and different shares.... ? Your now faced with a huge task of looking through a huge list of your data to perform this space trimming.

This is where i recommend using a third party disk space analyzer. My first recommendation being tree size.

it helps analyze your nas file usage to find all these stuff.

By right clicking on a file extension type, you can then further narrow it down using the filter search for this type

http://jam-software.de/?language=EN

the bit where it says \\Moogle\ just replace it with

Code: Select all

\\your qnaps lan ip address or name\

If tree size doesn't work for you, the next best one which supports NAS as well is Diskboss
http://diskboss.com/screenshots.html

[youtube=NisCkxU544c]like a boss Image[/youtube]

or try one of these other alternatives
http://alternativeto.net/software/treesize-free/

basically you just want an app that can analyze the storage on your NAS, and see whats eating up all that space, and some sort of filtering option as well.

PS: if theres an option to show hidden files, enable that as well.

Hope this guide helped, and if you have any tree size techniques ( i haven't mastered all the possible options yet) or other methods for doing the same thing, feel free to share in this thread Image
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
bs98909
Starting out

Re: [Guide] How to analyze your storage space on QNAP

Post by bs98909 »

I might be missing something but all these tools seem to be running on a Windows server. How about something that runs native on the QNAP??
Cheers!
B-

—————————————--
Details:

Code: Select all

TS-1685 - 64 GB (~62 GB usable) RAM - 25TB RAID6 (4x SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD, 8x Seagate ST2000VN004 2TB HHD, 4x Seagate ST8000VN0022 8TB HHD) - 4x 1GB NIC
Firmware version	4.4.1.1146 Build 20191206
CPU	Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU D-1521 @ 2.40GHz (4 cores, 8 threads)
—-
# cat /etc/os-release 
NAME="QTS"
VERSION="4.4.1 (20191206)"
ID=qts
PRETTY_NAME="QTS 4.4.1 (20191206)"
VERSION_ID="4.4.1"
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

bs98909 wrote:I might be missing something but all these tools seem to be running on a Windows server. How about something that runs native on the QNAP??
hm... there is the Qsirch? but usually i'd compare that against Tree Size, because that app literally did everything. It was easy to analyze the contents of your stored data.

what i liked about tree size is it's many features. Also how they complement the data analysis with colored bars to indicate a graphical representation of how much in totality by % out of 100% that the content type e.g. mkv, sub folder , multi selected folders etc consists of. There were other similar apps, but i found tree size's much easier to digest without going overboard :shock:

but these days i guess that i had begin starting to use qsirch more often as it had sufficient filters for me to find stuff, also the app has become way more stable compared to last time. but if i feel a lack of capability/functionality, i would then resort to tree size.

that said, they recently updated a video about how to use qsirch here
[youtube=]i_TxxngZyNk[/youtube]

I also recently was introduced to dupeguru, which additionally helps you detect duplicate files, so you can then delete the extras so as not to waste space.
https://dupeguru.voltaicideas.net/

[youtube=]qViLUg27h7A[/youtube]

There is a docker app i believe that can be used in container station, but i did not manage to get that setup correctly. so i used the windows version which i run of my pc client instead.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

bs98909 wrote:I might be missing something but all these tools seem to be running on a Windows server. How about something that runs native on the QNAP??
There's always good-old ncdu, but if you're looking for pretty pictures, you might try duc. I've not used it myself.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ManlyTSO
New here

Post by ManlyTSO »

I was able to mount my NAS on my macOS using smb://IP address using a local account. However, I can't using Windows.
QNAP 431 QTS-4.3.6.0993
asibaii
Starting out

Post by asibaii »

you should also look into testing WinDirStat.

it does a lot of what the software you mentioned does. but also puts the files and folders into a block graphical representation to see where most of the space is going. helped me a lot with my windows and USB drives
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Users' Corner”