[HOW TO] use the Linux command line

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
babuja
Know my way around

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: [HOWTO] use the Linux command line

Post by babuja »

OneCD wrote: No, you missed the whitespace between "cd" and "/" ;)

Ooooooo Image

It works now

[César@QNAP-NAS ~]$ cd /
[César@QNAP-NAS /]$ ls
IPSEC@ hd_root_tmp@ lost+found/ php.ini@ sbin/ var/
bin/ home/ mnt/ proc/ share/
dev/ lib/ musicstation/ root/ sys/
etc/ lib64@ new_root/ rpc/ tmp/
flashfs_tmp/ linuxrc@ opt@ run/ usr/

Thanks
OneCD wrote: Ah, OK, you would know if you were.
It used to be that only 'admin' could login via SSH. But I think the newer firmwares allow different users to do this now.
When activating ssh ive been able to give permission to other user (César) with admin privileges.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
onehans
Know my way around

Re: [HOWTO] use the Linux command line

Post by onehans »

windows user here...

Thx for this commands, would be cool if you could add some qnap specific commands
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

onehans wrote:Thx for this commands, would be cool if you could add some qnap specific commands
This guide is only to help get you started. QNAP don't publish details of their CLI utilities.

By the time you're comfortable using BASH, you won't need a reference for the QNAP-specific utilities, as you'll know where they are and how to use them. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
omdawe
Starting out

Post by omdawe »

So im playing around with the /share/Web folder and i was thinking to do some symbolic "ln -s" (links) from stuff on other hard drives there.. And of course i made a the link wrong and i tried to "unlink" the folders and it
[/share/Web] # unlink
-sh: unlink: command not found

But then i used "rm" and folder name it just deleted the symbolic link thats it.. No big point but i did not find this on the forum so i was thinking to post this if someone else wanted to know!.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Yes, that’s one of the great features of symlinks - deletion only affects the link - not the target of the link. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Walt Wingfield
Starting out

Post by Walt Wingfield »

OneCD wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:35 pm This is for new QNAP NAS users who may want to learn how to use the installed BASH shell, but don't know where to start. It will focus on the specific shell found in the standard firmware.

This post is an introduction only. After you've read it, please continue with your self-education. There's lots more to learn! :)
A handy reference for those who might be new to the BASH shell is Bash Reference Manual - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation. User specific customization can be done via Bash Startup Files.
QNAP TS-451+, 8 GB RAM, 4 @ 4 TB Seagate NAS drives

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Return to “Users' Corner”