QNAP CES 2017

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

QNAP CES 2017

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

unnamed (3).jpg
[youtube=]8q21J4EgQmE[/youtube]
Las Vegas, NV, January 4, 2017 – QNAP®, Inc. will unleash full-throttle network-attached storage innovations at CES 2017 in Las Vegas ( The Sands Expo, Level 2 – No. 41169), including industry-leading Thunderbolt™ 3 NAS solutions, revolutionary Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet (T2E) Converter technology, game-changing Internet of Things applications, 4K live-streaming/broadcasting, alongside the ultimate storage device that combines NAS and optical discs. This versatility demonstrates QNAP's willingness to break boundaries, and will stand out at CES across the consumer, SMB, and enterprise markets.

Highly desirable Thunderbolt NAS for video professionals

QNAP advances its renowned Thunderbolt™ NAS with the latest Thunderbolt™ 3 technology. Supporting higher speeds than the previous generation, the pioneering Thunderbolt™ 3 NAS is the best companion for the latest MacBook Pro®, providing compelling features, storage, and reliability for creative professionals and enthusiasts who focus more on 4K or 3D workflows. The innovative T2E Converter (available in QTS 4.3) bridges Thunderbolt™ and Ethernet networks, making the Thunderbolt™ NAS a native Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter for wider application scenarios.

Break traditional business boundaries with QIoT

Following the launch of QIoT Containers for building a private IoT cloud platform, the QIoT Suite provides additional practical modules for developers to easily adopt, accelerating development and services. CES will also mark the unveiling of QBoat (QTS IoT Server powered by the Intel® AnyWAN™ SoC GRX750), which helps connect and manage IoT devices and applications to provide a handy solution for the great potential industrial demands of IoT. Visitors can also discover the QNAP IFTTT Agent to experience web automation service with QNAP NAS. The new 1-bay 2.5"-drive TGX-150 NAS, powered by the Intel® AnyWAN™ SoC GRX750 and featuring a built-in gateway with wireless access point, will also be showcased.

4K live-stream broadcasts

Live-stream broadcasts enable real-time audience interaction and increase engagement, providing great potential for versatile business and lifestyle applications. QNAP's DJ2 Live is an exclusive live broadcasting platform based on a private cloud that supports up to 4K video live-stream broadcasts and stores all the videos on the private, secure, high-capacity QNAP NAS. It also supports streaming to video services such as YouTube™ and Facebook®. QNAP will demonstrate DJ2 Live with compatible smart glasses at CES for users to experience mobile live streaming applications.

NAS with optical disc drive compatibility

The TVS-882BR features a 5.25" drive bay for installing optical disc drives, providing an extra method for transferring content from discs to the NAS for more convenient access and sharing. By installing a disc writer, users can also directly copy data to disc - providing an extra layer of protection for important data. Supported drives include Blu-ray Disc and BDXL-compatible disc writers.

New QVR Pro surveillance solution

QVR Pro integrates QNAP's professional QVR system into the QTS operating system. Users not only can arrange a dedicated, independent storage space for surveillance data on the NAS, but also can leverage the advantages of scalability and storage manageability from QTS. Enhancements include: higher performance for video playback and exporting, a consistent management interface for cross-platform client devices, batch adding and editing cameras, advanced event management, and more.

High-capacity 16-bay Xeon® D Super NAS for virtual environment deployment

Powered by an Intel® Xeon® D processor, the powerful enterprise-class TS-1685 features twelve 3.5" bays for storage and four 2.5" bays for SSDs. Six M.2 slots and QNAP Qtier™ Technology provide SSD caching for around-the-clock acceleration, making the TS-1685 the ideal solution for deploying virtualization environments using Virtualization Station, Container Station and third-party hypervisors. Three PCIe slots provide users with total flexibility for meeting the needs of demanding applications by installing 10/40 GbE adapters, graphics cards, PCIe NVMe SSD, and USB 3.1 cards.

QNAP marketing and business development personnel will be on-hand to help determine product and marketing strategies for distributors and resellers to grow their business with industry-leading network appliance solutions from QNAP. Accredited members of the worldwide press are also invited to schedule product briefings and request evaluation units for review purposes.

Intel, AnyWAN, and Thunderbolt are trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the U.S. and/or other countries.

About QNAP Systems, Inc.

QNAP Systems, Inc., as its brand promise "Quality Network Appliance Provider", aims to deliver comprehensive offerings of cutting edge network attached storage (NAS) and network video recorder (NVR) solutions featured with ease-of-use, robust operation, large storage capacity, and trustworthy reliability. QNAP integrates technologies and designs to bring forth quality products that effectively improve business efficiency on file sharing, virtualization applications, storage management and surveillance in the business environments, as well as enrich entertainment life for home users with the offering of a fun multimedia center experience. Headquartered in Taipei, QNAP delivers its solutions to the global market with nonstop innovation. More information is at http://www.qnap.com.

Media Contacts
Erick Oliveros, QNAP Inc.
Office 909-595-2819 ext. 196
erickoliveros@qnap.com

For CES 2017, QNAP announced several new NASes ranging from personal to enterprise designs. But the company also waded into the wireless router market with its TGX-150.
QNAP calls it a NAS, but with Gigabit WAN (1) and LAN (4) ports and built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi access point, you could be forgiven for thinking of it as a Wi-Fi router with a single 2.5" drive bay for hard drive or SSD storage. The TGX-150 runs on an Intel AnyWAN GRX750 dual-core (up to 2.5 GHz) NPU with 2 GB of DDR3 RAM, 512 MB of flash memory and one each USB 3.0 Type A and Type C ports.
ces17-qnap-tgx-150.jpg
The QNAP TVS-882BR is an 8-bay NAS with an expansion bay suited for one 5.25” or two slim sized optical drives. This new NAS is available in four different Intel powered sub-models, including TVS-882BRs with Core i3/8 GB RAM, Core i5/16 GB RAM, Core i7/32 GB RAM, or Core i7/64 GB RAM configurations. Additional interfaces include five USB 3.0 ports, four GbE ports and three HDMI interfaces. Two M.2 slots are also available for additional SATA storage, while three PCIe Gen 3 expansions slots can be used for additional networking, controllers, or NVMe SSDs.
ces17-qnap-tvs-882br-2.jpg
QNAP’s new enterprise-class NAS, the TS-1685, gives businesses plenty of space with its twelve 3.5”bays, four 2.5” bays, and six M.2 slots. For networking, the TS-1685 also includes four GbE ports, two 10Gbe ports and, if needed it also has three PCIe expansion slots that can support additional network cards, as well as storage, graphics or USB 3.1 expansion cards.

TS-1685 can get its horsepower from several supported Intel Xeon D processors and can handle up to 128 GB of DDR4 memory.
The TS-1685 runs QTS 4.3 and supports a variety of enterprise-class applications, including Qtier for SSD caches acceleration, virtualization and containerization for applications, centralized management of other QNAP NAS devices, and snapshots for data protection.
ces17-qnap-ts-1685p4-2.jpg

go here to view the full list of what qnap is showcasing in 2017 CES :mrgreen:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/other/ce ... ouncements

In summary whats in store for 2017

- thunderbolt 3 !
- QNAP wireless router !!!!
- optical reader/writer slot !!!!
- a new enterprise qnap that seems quite capable for running virtualization server. would this be something suited for running thin client setups :O ? also probably has ZFS on it.
- and more... too many to list so i picked the more interesting ones of the bunch :mrgreen:
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
OneCD
Guru

Re: QNAP CES 2017

Post by OneCD »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:NAS with optical disc drive compatibility

The TVS-882BR features a 5.25" drive bay for installing optical disc drives, providing an extra method for transferring content from discs to the NAS for more convenient access and sharing. By installing a disc writer, users can also directly copy data to disc - providing an extra layer of protection for important data. Supported drives include Blu-ray Disc and BDXL-compatible disc writers.
Optical drives? Do people still use those? I thought they had gone the way of the FDD. :wink:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

OneCD wrote: Optical drives? Do people still use those? I thought they had gone the way of the FDD. :wink:
probably not.
[youtube=]HhIlKaXEgvA[/youtube]

but if i were to use it, i'd only do it using m discs or similar tech which was a bit reliable. would this solution this practical for backing up 10tb worth of my data? :S
m-disc-permanent-backup-disk-2.jpg

on a side note my pc has an optical drive... i use it for playing my music and anime collection i hadn't yet ripped into digital format to store on my qnap yet. though with lots of storage thats probably the best thing to do, so you don't wear out the disc, and keep it digital instead :mrgreen:

for music ripping (nice for flac. For AAC i sometimes use Foobar with Nero AAC encoder)
http://exactaudiocopy.de

for mkv video ripping (easy mode)
http://www.makemkv.com

for X265 i use IFME
https://x265.github.io

handbrake is also another popular choice
https://mattgadient.com/2016/02/15/how- ... x-windows/

the use i think it may be useful for is like container or linux station, so you can add device optical drive. then you pop in your original app or game cd and install via that method. So you don't have to make a iso and load onto a usb or transfer to the NAS to access prior. can't remember the last time i bought a game needing discs... these days it's digital linked to my gaming account... or they let you download an installer which then requires you to login to your account to play the game.

these days though USB seems to be the dominating force in terms of transfer performance and storage of convenience. heck they just came out with a 2tb USB storage from kingston :D
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/news/ki ... 17-1645029
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I am skeptical about this router thing ... the larger SMB and enterprise NAS look interesting
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

dolbyman wrote:I am skeptical about this router thing ... the larger SMB and enterprise NAS look interesting
i'm not sure either. but i wonder though whether this means there will be NEW router security features like i've seen...elsewhere. and maybe those security measures can make their way to the non router nas models as well (some if not all feature sets).

i would like something like a 1 page in qts which would be a quick overview for reviewing how secure your configurations are, whether anything needs to be revised or not. I can do this on my Asus router.

AiProtection: What It Is and How It Works
http://www.routeria.com/aiprotection-wh ... -it-works/
firewall-73986-large.jpg
AiProtection-Router-Security-Assessment-Report-600x527.jpg
NAS

Network

Resources
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:- a new enterprise qnap that seems quite capable for running virtualization server. would this be something suited for running thin client setups :O ?
Are you referring to the TS-1685 here?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

apparently there is a lot of different CPU/memory configurations available for the TS-1685
http://files.qnap.com/news/pressresourc ... 29_web.pdf
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

the 1685 does look great, and it has 10Gbase-T ports, not SFP+ fiber, which is great.
But I do not know about it's expandability. I don't know if they have an equivalent expander
like the TX-800P for thunderbolt 2

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Rhialto
Easy as a breeze

Post by Rhialto »

They are taking the wireless router route like Synology?

I really liked the look and idea of the TS-453mini and it's nice to see the newer TS-453Bmini, too bad they never went ahead with a TS-253mini or similar as I would have been very interested but now it's too late anyway, 251+ is here.
Entered the NAS world with a TS-251+ in December 2016. As of December 2020, disks are now used in a TS-253D. :geek:
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

..... oh the bugs will be rampant ... they can't even deal with what they have now ....
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

P3R wrote:
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:- a new enterprise qnap that seems quite capable for running virtualization server. would this be something suited for running thin client setups :O ?
Are you referring to the TS-1685 here?
yeah this one
High-capacity 16-bay Xeon® D Super NAS for virtual environment deployment

Powered by an Intel® Xeon® D processor, the powerful enterprise-class TS-1685 features twelve 3.5" bays for storage and four 2.5" bays for SSDs. Six M.2 slots and QNAP Qtier™ Technology provide SSD caching for around-the-clock acceleration, making the TS-1685 the ideal solution for deploying virtualization environments using Virtualization Station, Container Station and third-party hypervisors. Three PCIe slots provide users with total flexibility for meeting the needs of demanding applications by installing 10/40 GbE adapters, graphics cards, PCIe NVMe SSD, and USB 3.1 cards.

i had initially assumed they were refering to something like their rack server units like this ES1640dc v2 which sports a xeon cpu
https://www.qnap.com/en/product/model.php?II=263

but then i saw the screenshot for the TS-1685. By the way is the TS a typo? shouldn't it be a tvs series? :S

would it be suitable for this kind of setup?
thin client program.jpg
think-client.jpg
NAS

Network

Resources
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

years ago there were guides posted how to use your qnap as bootstrapper for network boot systems ...so yeah .. that should work just fine ..just a little fiddle..not "out of box" solution
DosXpon
Starting out

Post by DosXpon »

ts-1685 max configuration.. +$5k for sure....
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:yeah this one
Then what makes you say it probably have ZFS, when it's running QTS 4.3?
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:- a new enterprise qnap that seems quite capable for running virtualization server. would this be something suited for running thin client setups :O ? also probably has ZFS on it.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

P3R wrote:
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:yeah this one
Then what makes you say it probably have ZFS, when it's running QTS 4.3?
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:- a new enterprise qnap that seems quite capable for running virtualization server. would this be something suited for running thin client setups :O ? also probably has ZFS on it.
wouldn't it have the option to choose either? i assumed since the current enterprise has zfs wouldn't this new model have that option as well ? :?

at least another item i know your able to select the filesystem in use, whether it be btrfs or the normal EXT4. does it work like that on the qnap enterprise ?
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Users' Corner”